OT: Cut with Knife

Sep 15, 2009
Was camping this past weekend and was cutting a piece of wood. Hand slipped and I cut my index finger pretty deep. Didnt go to doctor, just cleaned up and pulled it together with bandaids. It's mended back but should I get tetanus shot? Hadnt had one in a long time.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Was camping this past weekend and was cutting a piece of wood. Hand slipped and I cut my index finger pretty deep. Didnt go to doctor, just cleaned up and pulled it together with bandaids. It's mended back but should I get tetanus shot? Hadnt had one in a long time.
I'm not a doctor, but I have stayed at a holiday inn recently. I think tetanus shots are good for ten years now? I think really likely effective for longer but that's the recommendation.

But I don't think they give you the "tetanus shot" after a cut. I think they give you something else that provides immediate but not long lasting protection and then you need to follow that up with the tetanus vaccine.

ETA: Also, even though it's bacterial, once it's set in, I don't know that they can just shoot you up with antibiotics and take care of it.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Went thru this due a bicycle accident years ago. Nothing wrong with getting a Tetanus shot,
But it won't protect you for this occurrence. Takes time to get in your system. That is what I was told.
I got the shot anyway, had been many years.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Not likely to get tetanus from a finger lac but it is possible. In your situation the treatment would likely be a shot of immunoglobulin but if you cut your finger so long ago that it has mended already you probably have waited too long for immunoglobulin to do you any good. Should go ahead and get a booster anyway though for next time.

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
My wife just had an injury that required Urgent Care. They asked about tetanus, said they now recommend every 5 years now.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Get two rocks glasses. Fill one with hydrogen peroxide and one with Jack Daniels.

Soak your finger in one while you drink the other. If your finger is still hurt and/or bubbling by the time you get through drinking, go to the hospital. If you drank the peroxide and soaked your finger in the Jack Daniels, go to the hospital.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I cut myself last week and went to the minor med to make sure it didn’t need stitches. They recommended tetanus shot but I was still within the 5 year window of my last one.

I would definitely go get one.

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
5 years instead of 10 = twice the profits. Next they'll tell me to change my oil every 2,500 miles instead of 5,000.
Think it is based on the patient's history, more active ones like ourselves (mtbikers) tend to have more cuts/injuries than the average/sedentary patient.

I've gone the opposite direction with my oil changes, every 7500 miles with today's synthetics.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I thought it was gonna be about being a State fan.
I thought it was going to be some historical perspective on the leads given up this weekend. Like, "we haven't given up a combined 15 point lead in a weekend since 19XX."

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Think it is based on the patient's history, more active ones like ourselves (mtbikers) tend to have more cuts/injuries than the average/sedentary patient.

I've gone the opposite direction with my oil changes, every 7500 miles with today's synthetics.
Not sure about 7,500 miles between oil changes, but my wife is apparently philosophically opposed to looking at the sticker and checking that number against the odometer, so she routinely goes 6k between changes. The oil looks fine and there doesn't seem to be any negative effect.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Not sure about 7,500 miles between oil changes, but my wife is apparently philosophically opposed to looking at the sticker and checking that number against the odometer, so she routinely goes 6k between changes. The oil looks fine and there doesn't seem to be any negative effect.
Hyundai recommends 7500 miles between changes.

I routinely go over 8,000 on my diesel truck.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Unless you drive in unusually harsh conditions, it’s a waste of money to change the oil more frequently than the owners manual recommends.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010

I use Mobil 1 20,000 mile oil and change every 10k. Been doing that for about 40,000 miles in my truck and 50k in my wife’s van. No issues so far.

Reactions: MaxwellSmart

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
Hyundai recommends 7500 miles between changes.

I routinely go over 8,000 on my diesel truck.
Yeah that 7500 miles between changes significantly reduced the value of free oil changes for the first 36000 miles from the dealer on my wife's Palisade. Think we got four of them, and most of them she waited at least an hour and a half.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
You'd probably have a better chance of a meteor coming through your roof and taking you out while you sleep than actually getting tetanus. There are a whopping 30 cases a year in the US. The study below says there is no difference in the occurrence rate between those who never get boosters and those who do, so long as you got the full series as a kid. Considering the number of people that injury themselves with rusty metal and haven't been to the doctor since they were in elementary school, I'd say your safe.

Tet Anus

I was going to get a fresh TDAP a few years ago and the doctor said it wasn't necessary since I got 2-3 as a young adult in the military. If you cut yourself, I'd worry a whole lot more about another infection.

Reactions: Wizard.sixpack

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
You'd probably have a better chance of a meteor coming through your roof and taking you out while you sleep than actually getting tetanus. There are a whopping 30 cases a year in the US. The study below says there is no difference in the occurrence rate between those who never get boosters and those who do, so long as you got the full series as a kid. Considering the number of people that injury themselves with rusty metal and haven't been to the doctor since they were in elementary school, I'd say your safe.

Tet Anus

I was going to get a fresh TDAP a few years ago and the doctor said it wasn't necessary since I got 2-3 as a young adult in the military. If you cut yourself, I'd worry a whole lot more about another infection.
Yeah you are right on all counts. The incidence is very low and while serological data indicates that over time those who don't get boosted become susceptible but the case data does not reflect that. The only caveat is I had one of my micro professors once comment that if you ever witnessed someone with tetanus you would never let your immunization lapse. It is a gruesome illness.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login