OT: Deer processing at home

JesterB

Mar 3, 2008
Any other home processors?

Just finished up processing my son’s first deer. Bacon burger, breakfast sausage, smoked cajun links, boudin, bologna, lollipop steaks, and pastrami.

What have y’all made?

Reactions: aTotal360

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I wish I had the drive, focus and determination to process mine at home. When I retire, plan to set up a home processing station.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I wish I had the drive, focus and determination to process mine at home. When I retire, plan to set up a home processing station.
I've done it with friends a couple of times and the processing, once the deer is cleaned and cut up, isn't that bad. Just have to buy the equipment. Not sure how expensive the equipment is but would think you could come out ahead pretty quickly, especially if a few of you are processing deers (the way we did it, it would have been a major pain without a couple of people helping).

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
We turn as much as possible into frying steak. The rest is ground for jerkey - much more tender than whole muscle jerkey.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011

Just finished up processing my son’s first deer. Bacon burger, breakfast sausage, smoked cajun links, boudin, bologna, lollipop steaks, and pastrami.

What have y’all made?
I moved to the coast when I was in my late 20s and just haven’t hunted much. Everyone runs dogs down here and the deer are those small “swamp” deer. So, I fish a lot. Dad died a few years ago, and I convinced my mom to sell our hunting land since I was the only one who used it and I am not around to keep up with it.
Anyway, I’m wanting to get back into it if I can find the right club, and want to process my own meat. How much did you put into your equipment?

JesterB

Mar 3, 2008
I do a co-op with several friends so not a lot. One buddy has the slicer, another has the stuffer, I’ve got the smoker, mixer and vacuum sealer. We all supply our own spices, fat and consumables.
I’m in the process of building a 2hp gear reduction grinder. It’s gonna be a beast.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I do a co-op with several friends so not a lot. One buddy has the slicer, another has the stuffer, I’ve got the smoker, mixer and vacuum sealer. We all supply our own spices, fat and consumables.
I’m in the process of building a 2hp gear reduction grinder. It’s gonna be a beast.
This is the way to do it. Years ago I processed my own deer, nothing like you are doing, just steaks, sausage and burger. About 5-6 of us would setup an assembly line after the season and roll through them during a weekend. Fun times.

macpappy

Aug 8, 2010
I bought all my equipment before season and processed my own this year. I live in Madison so I'm able too run over to Hemphill Foods for hog casings, cheese and fat.... and I use the rebel butcher supply seasoning from Pearl. I made a 20 lb test batch of smoked sausage...changed a few things then made 100 lbs over Christmas with Green Onion and High temp pepper jack cheese. It very comparable to Van's. I've also ground up about 50 lbs for Burger(little green onion, really finely ground pineapple and high temp pepper jack cheese...its FINE!!). Killed 2 wild hogs as well and ground both of them for breakfast sausage. Fried up a couple lbs for breakfast Saturday at our Squirrel camp after a long morning walk with our dogs and they made great sausage and biscuits. It is expensive to buy nice equipment on the front end but worth it after that 1st cook. The only thing Im still in need of is a bigger smoker. Im tempted to pour a small section of concrete and build a walk-in out of some scrap wood and tin. I will never pay for deer processing again.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
I process at least 10 a year, either for my family or friends and have processed over 20 many years. I keep it simple for the most part. I always do plenty of burger with no fat., tenderized steaks, jerky, a few roast, whole backstraps and loins and filet backstraps (cooked some filets last night and just finished one for lunch). This year I did one batch of bacon burger (60/40 blend with bacon ends) and it is very good. I also use seasoning from rebel butcher supply for patty sausage. Thus far my favorite patty sausage is the rebel butcher supply HOT seasoning. I put 2-3 times the recommended amount (TBS per pound) and I mix my venison with the cheapest fattiest Boston butt I can find to make it a 70/30 blend. I did about 50 pounds this year. For jerky I prefer whole meat vs. grinded meat and I use the standard High Mountain Seasoning that can be found easily. Hickory flavor is my favorite jerky seasoning but mesquite is good also. I usually take a deer a year to Dwight's for smoke sausage. I had decided I wasn't taking one this year just due to cost and I would buy Country Pleasing. Turns out my daughter prefers venison sausage better so I had to go out and find a doe for that last minute. I don't have a vacuum sealer so I do it the old fashion way and wrap it in saran wrap then freezer paper (it will last years that way).

Reactions: JesterB

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
I bought all my equipment before season and processed my own this year. I live in Madison so I'm able too run over to Hemphill Foods for hog casings, cheese and fat.... and I use the rebel butcher supply seasoning from Pearl. I made a 20 lb test batch of smoked sausage...changed a few things then made 100 lbs over Christmas with Green Onion and High temp pepper jack cheese. It very comparable to Van's. I've also ground up about 50 lbs for Burger(little green onion, really finely ground pineapple and high temp pepper jack cheese...its FINE!!). Killed 2 wild hogs as well and ground both of them for breakfast sausage. Fried up a couple lbs for breakfast Saturday at our Squirrel camp after a long morning walk with our dogs and they made great sausage and biscuits. It is expensive to buy nice equipment on the front end but worth it after that 1st cook. The only thing Im still in need of is a bigger smoker. Im tempted to pour a small section of concrete and build a walk-in out of some scrap wood and tin. I will never pay for deer processing again.
I bought an electric grinder in 2010, before that I used a hand grinder my mother gave me when I was at state in the mid 90's. I have a jerky and tenderizer attachment for the grinder that makes it pretty easy. In a few years we plan to sell the house and my wife wants to build her retirement home. I plan on making a shop and out back would like to add a small walk in cooler and make some type of smoker. I have a BGE but it just isn't big enough for a big batch of smoke sausage.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I don’t keep enough for myself to justify processing it myself. I get enough for me and if I kill another I give it to one of our employees.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I used to do it at home. Got lazy in my old age and just drop them off at the processor now days.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
I always take 1 to processor and get half burger and half sausage. Then, I'll hack up several more at home for jerky, stew, burger (no fat), tenderized quarters, and summer sausage using a kit and pork shoulder.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007

What have y’all made?

I haven’t done a deer in a few years but used to process between 5 - 10 a year. We made a ton of burger with beef tallow added (5%), smoked sausage, jerky, roasts, tenderized steaks, and snack sticks. If you ask nicely, you can usually get the beef tallow for free from your local grocery store. Just ask the butcher to hold back some fat trim when they have the next beef shipment that week. I have never had them say no. They throw out most of it anyway.

I’m a big fan of the snack sticks. They package well in vacuum bags and freeze extremely well for long periods of time. Nothing like eating a deer snack stick while hunting and trying to kill another deer. Show them bitches who is the boss.**

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
Used too, but got lazy about 4 years ago and started using a processer.

I still have a grinder, slicer, dehydrator, and vacuum sealer. Made a butcher table that I could sit at and work. May have to process one myself next season to get more meat for jerky.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

What have y’all made?
I used to process deer on the side when I was in my early 20s. Long time ago. The neighbors loved when I had 4 or 5 deer hanging from trees in my backyard.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login