OT deer season

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
Is it just me or has this season sucked. The only shooter I’ve seen was at the northwest corner of the intersection of I55 and 463. But not only am I not seeing shooters but I’m hardly seeing any dear.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
It’s like they know what time of the year it is…

Sneaking Elmer Fudd GIF by Looney Tunes

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Is it just me or has this season sucked. The only shooter I’ve seen was at the northwest corner of the intersection of I55 and 463. But not only am I not seeing shooters but I’m hardly seeing any dear.
I’m seeing tons of deer this year where I hunt at. Although not many good bucks. Not even getting good bucks on camera right now but that is not all that unusual. Historically, bigger bucks have not moved much during the day until late December and January.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
It has been a bust for me. I’ve only got one shooter on camera whereas last year I had 3-4 shooters and was able to get one in worse weather. Most of the mature bucks on my property just disappeared between last year and now. Likely got shot by neighbors , but who knows. I’m about to the point where I want to let the one remaining nice buck live to spread as much seed as he can. They are still chasing where I hunt.

Ellisville Dawg

Aug 29, 2018
Not just you. Not sure I saw a deer during the month of November. Starting to get a lot more movement since Christmas. It’s going to be game on the first couple of weeks in January when I’m back at work….

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
The previous 2 hunting seasons have been hard on the deer population and I think we are seeing the effects of that now. Ask any taxidermist and they will agree 2020/2021 was their best year ever.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I haven't had a chance to go yet. My son got a doe yesterday hunting with my FIL. But I am seeing posts from deer processors saying they are limited on space and to please pick your deer up. Some even saying they're accepting no more until after the first of the year. So at least in and around Starkville deer are being dropped on the regular.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
We live in the country and normally see deer in the yard all the time, last night my wife even mentioned that she hasn’t seen any deer this year. Normally I’ll bust a few does every time I walk out in the back yard but I haven’t seen a deer in months and I’ve got white oaks in my yard. I blame the legalized baiting. It’s messed with deers natural patterns

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
By this time of the year, I usually have all my freezer meat. Haven’t fired a shot other than finishing one off for my Buddy. I haven’t hunted but 4 times in December though.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
We are seeing more deer than we have seen in probably 15 years. I have seen 18 different bucks but nothing older than some 3 year olds. We are trying hard to grow some good deer so other than the grandkids having the green light it’s been a spectator sport for us this year so far. We do except to see some real benefits to our being selective in the next couple of years. In the past we have killed some bucks that are 5 or more and it is worth holding off short term. We got a little trigger happy the last 2 years and we are paying for it this year with a lack of anything older than 3 1/2. We run a bunch of cameras about 8 months out of the year so we have a pretty good idea on the local bucks. Although we do normally see one or two new larger bucks over in January that move in there looking for left over does.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
Before the season I had a lot on camera including several shooters and a lot more younger bucks than usual. My cameras died so not sure if they are here and have gone nocturnal or they have been killed. Funny thing is I haven’t heard many close shoots, not that I hunt everyday.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Seen several the only time I've been this sesson. I'd say last year I was disappointed though. I don't think there's a big shortage in most areas of the state.

Reactions: NTDawg

SteelMule32

Nov 22, 2013
We had a lull in deer activity first couple weeks in December not seeing much of anything. December 15th rut kicked in and we have seen a lot of deer since then. A lot of 3 year old bucks that we haven’t shot but my neighbors will shoot anything that walks out and their skinning rack next to the road has proved it year after year. Carroll County.

I have talked to people close to where I hunt and they weren’t seeing much of anything during rut. Several folks around the Golden Triangle have said they weren’t seeing many deer first couple of weeks of December but it has picked up around here.

Water Dawg

Aug 22, 2012
No complaints here .... from central MS and Delta

let 'em go so they can grow maybe ? Population numbers of deer are un-real in our state

Reactions: BingleCocktail

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
this has not been a good season so far. ive seen many young deer and does but hardly any bucks. im thinking the weather perhaps. course i may be just havin bad luck this year

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
We had a lull in deer activity first couple weeks in December not seeing much of anything. December 15th rut kicked in and we have seen a lot of deer since then. A lot of 3 year old bucks that we haven’t shot but my neighbors will shoot anything that walks out and their skinning rack next to the road has proved it year after year. Carroll County.

I have talked to people close to where I hunt and they weren’t seeing much of anything during rut. Several folks around the Golden Triangle have said they weren’t seeing many deer first couple of weeks of December but it has picked up around here.

Same county, same issues.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
We live in the country and normally see deer in the yard all the time, last night my wife even mentioned that she hasn’t seen any deer this year. Normally I’ll bust a few does every time I walk out in the back yard but I haven’t seen a deer in months and I’ve got white oaks in my yard. I blame the legalized baiting. It’s messed with deers natural patterns

100% concur, but not only baiting - more, bigger, better food plots. The more food that they count on being out 24/7 means less movement. I'm getting tons of pics at night, few in the day.

Treemydawg

Sep 29, 2013
Was your gun jammed ?

40mikemike

Sep 29, 2022
It’s been a little slow for me in Oktibbeha County, but the Pre-rut just started. I took off the first 12 days of January just to deer and duck hunt. Every big buck I’ve killed the past few years has been killed between January 2nd and January 11th, so I won’t hit the panic button unless I strike out while I’m off work. Cameras have been slower than I’d like this year though.

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
Early bow season-mid November was on fire for me In Neshoba county. I managed to kill two super mature bucks and deer were everywhere. The last month it has been extremely slow on camera and in person. Our rut usually starts around Jan 1, so hopefully it picks back up here soon.

L4MANDW

Feb 21, 2018
We are seeing more deer than we have seen in probably 15 years. I have seen 18 different bucks but nothing older than some 3 year olds. We are trying hard to grow some good deer so other than the grandkids having the green light it’s been a spectator sport for us this year so far. We do except to see some real benefits to our being selective in the next couple of years. In the past we have killed some bucks that are 5 or more and it is worth holding off short term. We got a little trigger happy the last 2 years and we are paying for it this year with a lack of anything older than 3 1/2. We run a bunch of cameras about 8 months out of the year so we have a pretty good idea on the local bucks. Although we do normally see one or two new larger bucks over in January that move in there looking for left over does.
Which 8 months out of the year do y’all run camera’s out of curiosity?

I ran some all year last yr for the first time but man those summer months are brutal and I didn’t notice as many deer moving then as I thought I would. I actually used the short video shots last yr & that was pretty cool. Didn’t burn up as much battery & space on the old cheap cameras I run a I thought they would.

L4MANDW

Feb 21, 2018
I usually hunt every day of the season but Sunday’s & Wednesday’s, first thing’s first of course, but this year work has really gotten me. Have only been 3 days this season. Got two weeks vacation up from Jan. 6th - 23rd. Those were the two weeks I killed 4 last yr. One doe & 3 bucks, 2 young & one nice 9 pt. Hopefully the rut’s in full swing by then and get to do about the same this year. I used to go through about 7/8 deer a year when I was younger but I only need about 4 now. Sure saves on the grocery bill.

Is the rut kickin’ pretty good right now? Seen 2 nice bucks off the Natchez Trace at night this year in the past two weeks. Usually all I see off there is does.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005

I ran some all year last yr for the first time but man those summer months are brutal and I didn’t notice as many deer moving then as I thought I would. I actually used the short video shots last yr & that was pretty cool. Didn’t burn up as much battery & space on the old cheap cameras I run a I thought they would.
Put them out in august. The deer you might happen to see in the spring and summer aren’t necessarily the deer that will be on your place come fall. Bucks will move and stay in one place for part of the year and then move to another during another part.

Reactions: L4MANDW

L4MANDW

Feb 21, 2018
Put them out in august. The deer you might happen to see in the spring and summer aren’t necessarily the deer that will be on your place come fall. Bucks will move and stay in one place for part of the year and then move to another during another part.
So you take them up about April then, maybe right before turkey season?

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I'm in Oktibbeha, they usually start showing up on camera in August but other than 1 doe I had NONE until first of December, no bucks till December 10th. Its been hit and miss too feeding, one night they will eat everything available next night they will walk through, eat a little and move on. Some nights they don't show at all like last night. Last night was warm temps, corn soybeans and peanuts in feeders, not a deer in sight. Definitely been an odd year for movement

Last edited:

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018

Early July through end of February. During the summer we get all of our pictures on salt licks. It’s too random otherwise. Thousands of pictures on salt licks though.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
Plenty on our place north of Edwards....son took an 8 point Tuesday morning. I saw a nice 10 that afternoon but couldn't get a shot on him.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I think they're all seeking refuge in the Madison city limits. Nice buck was killed on Bozeman a few weeks ago by car (also several does over the last couple of months).

Reactions: NTDawg and patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think they're all seeking refuge in the Madison city limits. Nice buck was killed on Bozeman a few weeks ago by car (also several does over the last couple of months).
I killed one on Hwy 51 in Madison about 10 years ago. Did $7,000 damage to my car & scared the s*** out of me.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login