OT - Dennis Herring (1981 Solid Gold)

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
Lost in the rabbit hole of Utube music videos on a lazy Sunday and ran across a 1981 Solid Gold version of Hot Rod Hearts (no smart *** comments required) and there is the lead guitarist in what looks like a State sweatshirt. Did a little digging out of curiosity and a Dennis Herring is credited for playing on the song. Turns out he left Saltillo after high school to be a studio musician in LA in the mid 70's for 5 or 6 years then became a pretty big producer in LA and Seattle. Said there was "a thing" about the south and after 40 years built another studio (Sweet Tea) in Oxford. Wondered if anyone knows or heard of him?
It was also about that time that Herring realized that he missed the land he couldn't wait to leave when he was younger. "I'd find myself thinking about how the South kind of has this thing, and how people all over the world long to have a thing," he said. "And the South actually has one, and I missed that.
Might be worth a watch if for no other reason than Marilyn McCoo is the host. She was certainly way high on my list back in the day. Assuming that's him and that is actually a State sweatshirt, interesting choice of wardrobe for national TV. (hoping not another grass clippings as well)

pic.jpg

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I know of him but can’t say I know him.

It’s Mississippi though so we have several mutual friends.

Buddy Guy, Modest Mouse, and Counting Crows have recorded albums at Sweet Tea.

Mike685

Sep 6, 2022
Graduated high school with him in 1976 . Think he went to USM for a couple of years on music scholarship & then moved to west coast . Has lived in LA & Seattle, still spends most of his time in LA. Has a brother in Saltillo.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I really liked the show and that song.

We had a couple of musicians from Mississippi that were popular in the early 80s.

Steve Forbert - Romeo's Tune

Paul Davis had several hits like Cool Nights, '65 Love Affair, and I Go Crazy.

Really like Paul Davis. Takes me right back to those crazy early 80's.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012

We had a couple of musicians from Mississippi that were popular in the early 80s.

Gotta include this classic

Magnolia Blues https://g.co/kgs/MQLurY

Mayor of Little London

Dec 26, 2016

Interesting think is those guys aren’t only both from MS, they are actually both from Meridian. Meridian has a long line of great musical artist (including those two) from Jimmie Rogers thru today like Pat Sansone (guitarist with Wilco) for instance. And a good many in between.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login