OT: Desoto county tax collector trying to get raise

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Do any of y’all Desoto county people have any more info on Joey Treadway saying he won’t collect taxes from city residents unless he gets $72,000 more in salary? Below is the only news article I’ve seen and it is behind a pay wall. This seems like a big deal and very strange.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Do any of y’all Desoto county people have any more info on Joey Treadway saying he won’t collect taxes from city residents unless he gets $72,000 more in salary? Below is the only news article I’ve seen and it is behind a pay wall. This seems like a big deal and very strange.

County Tax Collectors are not required by law to collect and remit MUNICIPAL ad valorem taxes associated with real properties situated within municipal boundaries. County Tax Collectors are required by law to collect and remit COUNTY AND SCHOOL ad valorem taxes only on real property situated in unincorporated county. The legal responsibility for collecting MUNICIPAL ad valorem taxes associated with properties lying inside a municipal boundary falls exclusively on the respective cities. The cities within a county are technically supposed to have their own tax collector for this purpose. To make things simpler and more efficient, state law allows county tax collectors to enter into a contract with municipalities within their counties to collect municipal ad valorem for the cities. The benefit to the cities is that the burden of both assessment and collection of municipal taxes is shifted onto the county tax collector's office. In exchange, the contracts between the tax collector and the cities typically provides for remuneration to the tax collector for the extra burden placed on the tax collector and his/her office. Those contracts, according to the OSA, are supposed to be renewed every 4 years. I am willing to bet that, over time, the contracts between the cities in DeSoto County and the DeSoto County Tax Collector haven't been updated and haven't kept pace with the amount of work required. It appears that the Board of Supervisors is unwilling to go to bat for their tax collector in an election year; hence, the public spat. And you can damn sure bet that the mayors and boards of aldermen of the cities are fat and happy to keep getting their monthly tax remittances without having to pay the tax collector's office more to do it all for them.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
County Tax Collectors are not required by law to collect and remit MUNICIPAL ad valorem taxes associated with real properties situated within municipal boundaries. County Tax Collectors are required by law to collect and remit COUNTY AND SCHOOL ad valorem taxes only on real property situated in unincorporated county. The legal responsibility for collecting MUNICIPAL ad valorem taxes associated with properties lying inside a municipal boundary falls exclusively on the respective cities. The cities within a county are technically supposed to have their own tax collector for this purpose. To make things simpler and more efficient, state law allows county tax collectors to enter into a contract with municipalities within their counties to collect municipal ad valorem for the cities. The benefit to the cities is that the burden of both assessment and collection of municipal taxes is shifted onto the county tax collector's office. In exchange, the contracts between the tax collector and the cities typically provides for remuneration to the tax collector for the extra burden placed on the tax collector and his/her office. Those contracts, according to the OSA, are supposed to be renewed every 4 years. I am willing to bet that, over time, the contracts between the cities in DeSoto County and the DeSoto County Tax Collector haven't been updated and haven't kept pace with the amount of work required. It appears that the Board of Supervisors is unwilling to go to bat for their tax collector in an election year; hence, the public spat. And you can damn sure bet that the mayors and boards of aldermen of the cities who are fat and happy to keep getting their monthly tax remittances without having to pay the tax collector's office to do it all for them.
You’ve pretty much nailed it. From what I understand the cities aren’t holding up their part of the bargain.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
You’ve pretty much nailed it. From what I understand the cities aren’t holding up their part of the bargain.
This happens all over the state. The taxpayers who live in the unincorporated areas of the county are oftentimes subsidizing the taxpayers who own real property inside municipal boundaries of the county by providing, through their elected tax collector, a reduced cost service of municipal ad valorem tax collection.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
County Tax Collectors are not required by law to collect and remit MUNICIPAL ad valorem taxes associated with real properties situated within municipal boundaries. County Tax Collectors are required by law to collect and remit COUNTY AND SCHOOL ad valorem taxes only on real property situated in unincorporated county. The legal responsibility for collecting MUNICIPAL ad valorem taxes associated with properties lying inside a municipal boundary falls exclusively on the respective cities. The cities within a county are technically supposed to have their own tax collector for this purpose. To make things simpler and more efficient, state law allows county tax collectors to enter into a contract with municipalities within their counties to collect municipal ad valorem for the cities. The benefit to the cities is that the burden of both assessment and collection of municipal taxes is shifted onto the county tax collector's office. In exchange, the contracts between the tax collector and the cities typically provides for remuneration to the tax collector for the extra burden placed on the tax collector and his/her office. Those contracts, according to the OSA, are supposed to be renewed every 4 years. I am willing to bet that, over time, the contracts between the cities in DeSoto County and the DeSoto County Tax Collector haven't been updated and haven't kept pace with the amount of work required. It appears that the Board of Supervisors is unwilling to go to bat for their tax collector in an election year; hence, the public spat. And you can damn sure bet that the mayors and boards of aldermen of the cities are fat and happy to keep getting their monthly tax remittances without having to pay the tax collector's office more to do it all for them.
The article says it hasn’t been updated since 2010. That’s a pretty long time especially considering the growth of Desoto county. That definitely signals it needs to be updated.

$72,000 just seems like a lot of money, especially since he is now running unopposed for the position. That high dollar amount may just be a negotiating tactic though.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Pretty much what I was gonna say

• Haha
Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Can't read the article because it is blocked. Is the $72,000 for his salary or for his budget?

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
This happens all over the state. The taxpayers who live in the unincorporated areas of the county are oftentimes subsidizing the taxpayers who own real property inside municipal boundaries of the county by providing, through their elected tax collector, a reduced cost service of municipal ad valorem tax collection.
But, the county assessor does handle the assessments of all property generally. MS is crazy like that.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Can't read the article because it is blocked. Is the $72,000 for his salary or for his budget?
It’s the only article I could find. $72,000 is his requested increase in salary from the county. He is also looking to increase the fees from the cities that in turn increases his salary. If he gets all he wants he’ll be getting paid $255,700 per year.

In unrelated news I would like your vote for Tax Collector next election.

Attachments

• B7827505-281A-4616-9CE7-D89DE99D9F33.jpeg
    B7827505-281A-4616-9CE7-D89DE99D9F33.jpeg
    489.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 6392EE51-A5B2-4559-8D8C-1B7876A9C8F6.jpeg
    6392EE51-A5B2-4559-8D8C-1B7876A9C8F6.jpeg
    776.7 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: jethreauxdawg

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
But, the county assessor does handle the assessments of all property generally. MS is crazy like that.
Many counties still have a combo assessor/collector. Where the assessor is a separate elected official, the assessor is also covered under the same contract that provides for municipal remuneration. And so is the Chancery Clerk for the purpose of handling tax sales of municipal properties and redemption of tax sale properties. The cities are contractually obligated to remunerate all three offices for services related to assessment, collection and tax sale/redemption.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
It’s the only article I could find. $72,000 is his requested increase in salary from the county. He is also looking to increase the fees from the cities that in turn increases his salary. If he gets all he wants he’ll be getting paid $255,700 per year.

Joey Treadway has been the tax collector around here for decades. He's pretty entrenched. He might have you on name recognition.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the Board of Supervisors is on safe ground telling this guy "no thanks." Tax Collector salaries are subject to a cap under state law. So this is a play by the DeSoto TC to shift additional income to a category (contract payments) that is not subject to his cap to max out his highest 4. Politically hard to defend. But he's after his highest 4 and then retire.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Which is not a surprise. Olive Branch was so eager to get that Lewisburg tax base but they aren't really interested in doing anything beyond that.
That whole annexation process was ridiculous. OB had no business annexing that much at one time.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login