OT: Digital screens in new vehicles and get off my lawn.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
I just got stuck driving a new BMW X1 for a couple of days. Actually love the way it drives.. good power for a small SUV. The steering is fabulous.

What I don't like.. and what's becoming more common is every new car is the huge digital display. Every interaction you have with the vehicle is on the touch screen. Not a single button in sight other than the goofy little selector switch for P/R/N/D.

I've come to realize that I LIKE buttons in my cars. I don't want to go into a menu just to turn on the rear window defrost. And also.. I think it's dangerous. You can do everything on that screen while you're driving except stream Netflix (and maybe you can do that too..).

Give me back my buttons and switches.. and get off my lawn.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The move to all digital cars has swung too far. I expect it will come back in the years to come. The buttons and dials are much more intuitive, easy to use, and safer than navigating through layers of digital screens. That's one (of many) things I like about my car. The screen is 8", which is more than plenty, and most functions can be accessed either via an old fashioned button or dial or with minimal digital interface. In fact, the touch screen function disables above about 10 MPH. I plan to keep this for a long time.

Reactions: dorndawg

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Agree. You would think for safety concerns there would be buttons for some basic modes that are used a lot. My '21 xt5 Cadillac has it split out to my liking.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
The other end of the conversation is when I want to make a change to bluetooth music in my wifes vehicle you have to pull over and stop if using the screen, thats too extreme for me. If I'm using the phone, I can do it w/out stopping, go figure

Felonious Junk

Oct 23, 2008
lane kiffin roll GIF

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
I just got stuck driving a new BMW X1 for a couple of days. Actually love the way it drives.. good power for a small SUV. The steering is fabulous.

What I don't like.. and what's becoming more common is every new car is the huge digital display. Every interaction you have with the vehicle is on the touch screen. Not a single button in sight other than the goofy little selector switch for P/R/N/D.

I've come to realize that I LIKE buttons in my cars. I don't want to go into a menu just to turn on the rear window defrost. And also.. I think it's dangerous. You can do everything on that screen while you're driving except stream Netflix (and maybe you can do that too..).

Tesla is not for you. 😜

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
The move to all digital cars has swung too far. I expect it will come back in the years to come. The buttons and dials are much more intuitive, easy to use, and safer than navigating through layers of digital screens. That's one (of many) things I like about my car. The screen is 8", which is more than plenty, and most functions can be accessed either via an old fashioned button or dial or with minimal digital interface. In fact, the touch screen function disables above about 10 MPH. I plan to keep this for a long time.
The problem is it's a cost issue now. My understanding is that it's actually cheaper to have one touch screen that is used in all your models rather than having physical buttons and knobs. Plus it gives you the flexibility to reprogram if needed going forward.

Right now, it's also seen as "fancy", so there's no real incentive to change it. Maybe people will hate it enough or there will be enough wrecks that high end trims will go back to physical buttons and knobs. I'm not expecting that though.

Reactions: patdog and dorndawg

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
We've been driving Hondas for a while and currently have a Pilot. Cars have been good and dependable. Their digital display system however is about as dysfunctional as you can get.

Reactions: HRMSU

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I was traveling with a coworker in his truck last week, and I was doing the late night driving. That huge center screen was blinding - first thing I did was turn that **** down as dim as I could get it. I have no clue how he could drive with it so bright.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Glad I won't hafta worry 'bout that schit for a while. My 2012 Rav 4 has 114K and I'm gonna get another 100K at least outta it. Paid for and schit too. I can change the radio, heat, AC and all the other schit without taking my eyes off the road.

Reactions: Tatereb

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
BMW’s info-tainment system is about as complex as you’ll find in the industry.

My buddy has a Taycan. It’s pretty intense too.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021

This is a non-issue: Humans will not be driving cars as the cars will be driving themselves soon enough.

"Buttons?" Really. How bourgeoisie*******

Reactions: yakalot2

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

1964 Dodge

1675452461103.png

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
We've been driving Hondas for a while and currently have a Pilot. Cars have been good and dependable. Their digital display system however is about as dysfunctional as you can get.
I have been in the honda pilot a good bit and generally really like the car. But not only was the display system not great, the software seems to be buggy. The one I've been in isn't that old, (maybe a 2019 or 2020?) and seems to have trouble properly syncing with an iphone.

Last edited:

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
I have been in the honda pilot a good bit and generally really like the car. But not only was the display system not great, the software seems to be buggy. The one I've been in isn't that old, (maybe a 1999 or 2000?) and seems to have trouble properly syncing with an iphone.
You might be shocked to learn that there have been significant improvements to Bluetooth technology over the last 20+ years.

DawgsGoneWild

Sep 25, 2012
I was traveling with a coworker in his truck last week, and I was doing the late night driving. That huge center screen was blinding - first thing I did was turn that **** down as dim as I could get it. I have no clue how he could drive with it so bright.
I do the same. It’s ridiculously bright at night. The problem is that mine won’t automatically go to brighter during the day so i almost can’t see the damn thing during daytime hours

Also, this is the most old person thread I’ve seen in a while. And i love it

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
You might be shocked to learn that there have been significant improvements to Bluetooth technology over the last 20+ years.
Definitely off the subject but maybe you can tell me how one utilizes Bluetooth technology in a refrigerator . I promise this is not being confrontational or smart assed but I asked a bunch of appliance "sales" people this same question recently and got nothing but chuckles and blank stares.

Reactions: M R DAWGS

fevans

Aug 27, 2012
We're renting a 2021 Nissan Rogue and there are so many things about this vehicle that are just absolutely infuriating:
  • If you have the wipers on and turn the car off and on again, the wipers don't come on, even though they are still in the 'on' position.
  • If you stop the car and pull the door handle, it doesn't open the door, it only UNLOCKS it. You have to pull it twice to get it to open. Explain to me why I would pull the handle if I didn't want it the door to open.
  • This is an SUV with a CVT. It has a sport mode with paddle shifters. I repeat...it has paddle shifters...on a CVT. WT17?!
  • It makes no sound if I lock with the key FOB. You have to be looking at it to see what the lights are doing to see if you locked or unlocked it.
  • The air conditioner has a temperature setting plus LO and HIGH. With the air conditioner on, the lowest temp setting (61) blows hot air. The LO setting freezes you out unless it's really hot outside.
Other than that, it has a nice screen with Android Auto and that other phone software. The Android Auto works pretty well. ;)

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Definitely off the subject but maybe you can tell me how one utilizes Bluetooth technology in a refrigerator . I promise this is not being confrontational or smart assed but I asked a bunch of appliance "sales" people this same question recently and got nothing but chuckles and blank stares.
I have a blue tooth/wifi enabled fridge, oven, and my favorite, vent-a-hood (or whatever the kids call it these days).

I went ahead and hooked them all up to the internet to maximize the amount that I get 17ed when people start hacking appliances, but I have yet to figure out exactly what to do with them. I do have the ability to display pictures on my fridge's low quality LED screen, but I have to load the pictures with a thumb drive. You can't upload them by utilizing blue tooth or wifi even though it's connected to the wifi. I can set up a hot water schedule for my fridge. I guess if you're the type of person that likes to wake up and have hot water immediately for instant oatmeal or tea and not have to wait ~2 minutes, that's helpful?

Also, even though the fridge and over are the same brand, I have to have two different apps to use them when I finally come up with a scenario where I will want to utilize the remote function?

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Autozone is running a sale- $20/gallon on discontinued oils; specifically, 10-40 and 20-50 weight oils. I have an old farm truck that likes thicker oils, so stock up on it. Just going to get harder to find. The only screens on this truck are the ones made with angle iron. People try to buy it everywhere it goes.

Full disclosure: Bluetooth would be nice, tho. I have to use the cassette player adapter for my Pandora.

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
One cool thing about Tesla.

I was having a problem with the rain-sensing feature of my windshield wipers. Since it’s a 135 mile (one-way) drive from my house to the Tesla service center, I called and talked to the service manager about it. Later that day they accessed my car remotely while it was at my house and re-programmed it remotely. Problem solved.

Reactions: AROB44

Felonious Junk

Oct 23, 2008
My 2021 Tahoe also requires you to pull the interior door handle twice when it’s locked in order to open the door. I’m fairly certain that’s a pretty standard safety feature in newer cars.

Like they’re just making sure you really meant to open it.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
I bought the Hyundai Iconiq 5 EV… I bought it for my long commutes for work but I have a F150 as needed & another SUV my wife drives.

So far I love this thing. Saves tons in fuel costs, recharge at home and even goes on most trips fine. I just have to plan it a little more but:

The damn screen is freaking huge and I hated it. I never minded the instrument panel, it’s pretty cool but the control panel was a pain. After awhile, it’s actually no big deal. I learned it and it’s growing on me.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login