OT: Dinner in Oxford

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
Eat in Tupelo at Harvey’s or Woodys.
If you absolutely must eat in Oxford, Ajax Diner or McEwens are pretty good.

Last edited:

tacodawg

Jan 2, 2020
To top on Tupelo, Blue Canoe. Smash burger meal is magical. Crack dip fries. Org.

Independent George

Sep 21, 2014
I had to spend a couple of weeks in Oxford for baking school several years ago. Ended up eating almost everywhere. Boure is my favorite. Oxford Grill House, Snack Bar, and City Grocery are also good.

HamSammich

Nov 9, 2016
Newish Greek restaurant on S Lamar named Opa that is really good. I’d also recommend AJAX. Also although it’s a chain Walk-Ons is now open and it is really good as well.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
For Mexican: Casa Mexicana or El Agave. For a good burger: Phillips Grocery

Jack Klompus.sixpack

Mar 6, 2021
Several years ago went to Taylor Grocery. After eating, they wouldn’t accept a friend’s credit card because it had a Mississippi State logo on it. Would not accept it.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Several years ago went to Taylor Grocery. After eating, they wouldn’t accept a friend’s credit card because it had a Mississippi State logo on it. Would not accept it.

That's when you say that's the only form of payment we have. You accept it or I guess our meal was free.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
That's when you say that's the only form of payment we have. You accept it or I guess our meal was free.

That’s what I would have done. Not like the police can arrest you for walking out on the check when the restaurant refused your payment…

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Walk On's does this grown up grilled cheese. It's two types of cheese and bacon on grilled sourdough. They give you two of them with a bowl of hot marinara sauce and a Christy's Hamburger sized portion of waffle fries. It's a great way to spike your insulin and pass out.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Taylor Grocery is the most overrated fish house ever… if you want fish go to Coffeys half way between New Albany and Oxford on Highway 30. OPA is good too. Rest of places in Oxford is meh, Como is good, but not as good as it used to be.

Last edited:

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
Ok. I live in Oxford....many good suggestions...

I had to spend a couple of weeks in Oxford for baking school several years ago. Ended up eating almost everywhere. Boure is my favorite. Oxford Grill House, Snack Bar, and City Grocery are also good.

glad to know there will be some dawg fans going....I was going to take my son until he tested for CV.....My wife and I have our favorites:

1. Snack Bar
2. Jinsei

These are our two favorites....and you are going to wait if you dont get on the list early....

Oxford Grill House, City Grocery, St Leo, and Lenora's are all very good too...

Boure is good food too....I put them a half step below the ones listed above, but you should be able to get a table faster than the one's listed

Taylor grocery is good catfish....Ajax is a better lunch place than dinner....

Out of all of these, we probably eat at Jinsei the most because our kids love it....but, again, you're gonna have to get on the list for a table.....if you go at 6-7 and show up, you're gonna wait 1-1.5 hours....same with Snack bar...

HamSammich

Nov 9, 2016
Laws Hill beats Coffeys all day. Problem is Laws Hill is in the middle of nowhere. We live in Oxford as well and drive up there at least twice a month. Best catfish I’ve ever had, ever.

It’s off 310 between Oxford and Holly Springs. I promise you it won’t disappoint.

HamSammich

Nov 9, 2016
Opa is literally 50 yards from the square. You sure you aren’t talking about Volta?

Volta is good, but it’s much more sandwiches pizzas and salads.

Opa has the full Greek menu.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Laws Hill beats Coffeys all day. Problem is Laws Hill is in the middle of nowhere. We live in Oxford as well and drive up there at least twice a month. Best catfish I’ve ever had, ever.

It’s off 310 between Oxford and Holly Springs. I promise you it won’t disappoint.

Didn’t think about Laws Hill. I didn’t know if they were still open or not. Both are better than Taylor Grocery.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
I think I've done this post a time or two over the years, but nothing has changed.

Oxford is a sea of mediocre restaurants masquerading as special.

There are some that people must just like due to nostalgia, such as Ajax, Larry’s, and City Grocery. Comparable or better restaurants of each style can be found in any city of decent size in the south.

Boure is just ok. Big Bad Breakfast is just Bad. They manage to mess up bacon.

One restaurant that is actually really good that isn’t replicated in every other southern city:

St. Leo. It is excellent. Do that.

I also like The Grillhouse. The steaks are pretty good, but what separates them are the sides and appetizers.

Last edited:

jxndawg

Dec 26, 2009
I live in Oxford, and all of these recommendations are fine. The best catch-all place is Boure … the food and prices are a small step up from most places, but not nothing crazy. It’s a little nicer, but not too fancy where you’ll feel out of place wearing blue jeans and bringing your kids. Ajax is also good. Haven’t tried the new Greek place everybody’s talking about - I think it just opened a few weeks ago. I also haven’t tried the re-tooled Old Venice yet either … it closed down for a while and reopened as something like Venice Kitchen.

The only rec I can’t abide is Snack Bar … it’s one of a group of local places owned by a certain chef who people in Oxford worship. Most of them are good, so pre-Covid I took a date to Snack Bar since neither of us had been. We got a charcuterie board app that had a bunch of greasy meat on it, she got lobster Mac and cheese that was room temperature, and I had fish that was burned on one side and just cooked enough on the other. It was disgusting, and by the time we got 2 drinks each the tab was over $200. Haven’t been back.

Also, if you’re in a hurry, South Depot taco shop on the square is great. It’s our go-to post-church restaurant.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Was just there recently. I recommend the following in no particluar order:

The Sizzler (way out on Hwy 6) - steakhouse
Ajax (on the Square) - American
Volta (on North Lamar) - Mediterranean

Dined at all of them personally

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021

Interesting... since there's a sign outside that says: "OPEN. Eat or we both starve"

MeridianDog

Sep 3, 2008
I hate myself for saying it, but their gas station fried chicken tenders are pretty good. Best enjoyed with a diet Dr. pepper while in the cab of the truck, driving away from Oxford.

View attachment 23533

Dawg_4_lifes

Sep 17, 2016
Get a togo plate at a starkville establishment and eat that in the Pavilion!!! To show that trash town that we do not stoop to their level!!

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login