OT - Driving on ICE in an EV

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
This post is meant to inform, not convince anyone of anything:

I noticed a problem when driving my EV this morning on ICE. - Regenerative Braking

If you have never driven an EV, they have regenerative braking feature that recharges the battery every time you slow down and it's very effective at doing so. It's one of the reasons why EV's are more efficient and I love it but:

You must cut that feature off or or on a very low setting which is a simple change with a tap of a button on the steering wheel. That braking kicks in when you let off the pedal. It comes in gradually but if you let off the gas right before hitting some black ice you could have a problem. You could never release the gas pedal fully but that is a mistake that can be made as I made it this morning. No worries as I handled it easily but do not trust yourself not to make that mistake. Turn that regenerative braking off or at least way down so it won't brake on ice.

That's not the only thing you need to learn. EVs weigh more and it's distributed lower. They handle differently and with the additional acceleration ability which is substantial and fun but not everyone can handle it well. I can see why these rental car places are backing away from EVs. Until the populous knows how to drive these things, I wouldn't rent them either. I can see a lot of fender benders in one of these things until you learn to drive it.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Renting never made any sense to me on EVs. I am looking at the new Lucid Air Grand Touring at 1234 HP with 550 miles of range, just for a weekend car. Not because I am worried about buying gas exactly, but because it may be one of the fastest cars you can buy. I have the cash just sitting there, and I could have a car that goes 0-60 in 2.1 seconds. That's got to fun.

Boosh

Sep 14, 2017
I would not buy any EV that does not have the ability to use a Supercharger correctly. Lots of EVs can not use them but they can't use them properly and accept the fast charging. Just my 2 cents from owning one for two years now. .... I will add that going 0-60 in just over 2 seconds is a lot of fun as I have a Model S Plaid. The closest feeling to it is the launch of Rock-N-Roller coaster at Disney.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022

I noticed a problem when driving my EV this morning on ICE. - Regenerative Braking

If you have never driven an EV, they have regenerative braking feature that recharges the battery every time you slow down and it's very effective at doing so. It's one of the reasons why EV's are more efficient and I love it but:

You must cut that feature off or or on a very low setting which is a simple change with a tap of a button on the steering wheel. That braking kicks in when you let off the pedal. It comes in gradually but if you let off the gas right before hitting some black ice you could have a problem. You could never release the gas pedal fully but that is a mistake that can be made as I made it this morning. No worries as I handled it easily but do not trust yourself not to make that mistake. Turn that regenerative braking off or at least way down so it won't brake on ice.

That's not the only thing you need to learn. EVs weigh more and it's distributed lower. They handle differently and with the additional acceleration ability which is substantial and fun but not everyone can handle it well. I can see why these rental car places are backing away from EVs. Until the populous knows how to drive these things, I wouldn't rent them either. I can see a lot of fender benders in one of these things until you learn to drive it.
Hell most people can't drive ICE vehicles either. Not sure why EVs should be any different.

Maybe I shouldn't talk, back in the day I once drove a decent chunk of Cali highway in 1st gear before I figured out my rental had some sort of newfangled electronic manual transmission.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I took my i4 out on the icy roads yesterday. It handled things well. It slide a couple times, but usually because I was pushing the limits. I noticed a couple times it felt like the anti-lock brakes were kicking in and the traction control would flash.

Teslas are quite proud of their cold weather performance. Pretty sure they have power distribution based on traction loss in certain settings.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Renting never made any sense to me on EVs. I am looking at the new Lucid Air Grand Touring at 1234 HP with 550 miles of range, just for a weekend car. Not because I am worried about buying gas exactly, but because it may be one of the fastest cars you can buy. I have the cash just sitting there, and I could have a car that goes 0-60 in 2.1 seconds. That's got to fun.
Lucid’s potential bankruptcy doesn’t concern you?

Reactions: patdog

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Send Lets Go GIF by Pudgy Penguins

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
I agree with not buying an EV that can't accept faster charging. you most likely will need it. You may be fine buying it with that issue as you plan on charging it at home the majority of the time or at your destination point, just be informed. Know what you are geting.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Seems they should have a snow mode that compensates for all of those things automatically.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Lord knows everything else is automatic. My son's EV recently notified the dealership that it needed maintenance. Personally, I'd want to turn that feature off.
Yeah, even my wife's car that is ICE communicates maintenance needs. Thankfully they have great service. Mak Haik Ford, however, different story. I have enough Ford credits to get free oil changes. Not worth it.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yeah, even my wife's car that is ICE communicates maintenance needs. Thankfully they have great service. Mak Haik Ford, however, different story. I have enough Ford credits to get free oil changes. Not worth it.
My car lets me know when the oil needs changing based on driving conditions, and I have a maintenance schedule in the owner's manual. That's plenty good for me.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Gonna push back on this. If you have shÍtty tires, regenerative braking can cause you to slide, but so does actual braking, turning, and accelerating. We have the stock 3 peak rated BFG KO2's on our Jeep. Not true winter tires, but much better than most all seasons. We drive up and down steep hills here in the mountains and every day it doesn't snow, the plowed roads turn into a hockey rink.

The regen braking is a great tool for slowing down, without hitting the brakes on ice. I have felt it slip a little going downhill on black ice with the regen, but nowhere near as bad as actually hitting the brakes. You can't coast coming down the mountain, so its either brakes or regen and the brakes cause a lot more chance of losing control in our Jeep. Overall it comes down to every other aspect of driving on snow or ice, practice makes you better and good tires/chains turn almost anyone into a competent winter driver.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Seems they should have a snow mode that compensates for all of those things automatically.
They should and I think Tesla's do and my Hyundai does have traction control but the auto-braking feature screwed the pooch this AM.

It's simple to disable but there was nothing saying I needed to do it other than common sense.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Gonna push back on this. If you have shÍtty tires, regenerative braking can cause you to slide, but so does actual braking, turning, and accelerating. We have the stock 3 peak rated BFG KO2's on our Jeep. Not true winter tires, but much better than most all seasons. We drive up and down steep hills here in the mountains and every day it doesn't snow, the plowed roads turn into a hockey rink.

The regen braking is a great tool for slowing down, without hitting the brakes on ice. I have felt it slip a little going downhill on black ice with the regen, but nowhere near as bad as actually hitting the brakes. You can't coast coming down the mountain, so its either brakes or regen and the brakes cause a lot more chance of losing control in our Jeep. Overall it comes down to every other aspect of driving on snow or ice, practice makes you better and good tires/chains turn almost anyone into a competent winter driver.
I don't disagree with anything you said. My Ioniq 5 has 4 settings of regen braking and a 5th where it's cut off. Tires are good and I use it all the time and love it but I had it set on I-Pedal which slows it rather quickly compared to the lower settings. I let off prior to hitting ice and it started slowing fairly quickly and started sliding as soon as it hit the ice faster than the car recognized it. I quickly hit the "JUICE" pedal slightly to release the brakes and got control easily but it could have been a different outcome.

I am wondering if this car has an ICE Road setting. I will find out.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
My gas-guzzling 6.2L GMC Sierra 4x4 has handled the roads extremely well.
My 22 year old Land Cruiser handled the roads without a problem as well. Even bumped a Ford Focus back on the road that was sliding off. No damage to the Cruiser and the Focus owner thanked me for keeping him out of a pretty steep ditch.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
Gonna push back on this. If you have shÍtty tires,
If you want to get a lesson in steering wheel use, drive an AWD with ****** tires.

I bought an infinity G35x that is an AWD car. Bought it used and the dealership threw some cheap ones on it to sell.

Things would get interesting in the rain. When you let off the gas, the center differential takes a quarter to a half second to disengage the front tires and it acts like you are quickly tapping the brakes on one of the front wheels. This made the car very unstable in wet weather.

I went through New Albany one day while the pavement was wet. When it transitioned from pavement to concrete on the interstate bridge in front of the Chevrolet place, the car went completely sideways at interstate speed. I could see the car in front of me through my passenger side window and the bridge rail through the windshield. I cut the wheel all the way to the right and the car finally corrected back straight after it felt I was sliding sideways for 100 yards at 60 something MPH. Thank you for whoever was in the right lane for backing off and giving me room to gather it back up.

Not long after that, the tires were upgraded to Z rated Continentals. Never had a problem after that.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Same. I couldn't slide around if I wanted to. Last time we had snowmageddon down here, I put my kids in an inflatable boat and tied a rope to the back of the truck to pull them around the neighborhood. First of all - I wouldn't recommend it, or at least make sure the kids keep their heads on a swivel for incoming mailboxes; but secondly, I tried to fishtail a few times to add excitement but ol Bessy just wouldn't let me.

Reactions: Drebin

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
I would not buy any EV that does not have the ability to use a Supercharger correctly. Lots of EVs can not use them but they can't use them properly and accept the fast charging. Just my 2 cents from owning one for two years now. .... I will add that going 0-60 in just over 2 seconds is a lot of fun as I have a Model S Plaid. The closest feeling to it is the launch of Rock-N-Roller coaster at Disney.
Just a question - what EVs cannot use a super charger? I've never heard of one.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
I took my i4 out on the icy roads yesterday. It handled things well. It slide a couple times, but usually because I was pushing the limits. I noticed a couple times it felt like the anti-lock brakes were kicking in and the traction control would flash.

Teslas are quite proud of their cold weather performance. Pretty sure they have power distribution based on traction loss in certain settings.
Does your car have summer tires or all-season?

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Lord knows everything else is automatic. My son's EV recently notified the dealership that it needed maintenance. Personally, I'd want to turn that feature off.
My regular car does that, and it starts a couple weeks out.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I like EVs, but I don't think they figured everything out. Just like they haven't figured out everything about gas-powered vehicles. But degree they want to ban one for the other. Immediately!!!

Well, the problem is that one side thinks they're the answer to everything, and the other side says wait a minute, but you can't sit and wait unless you want to get hit by both sides for not picking one argument or another,

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I like EVs, but I don't think they figured everything out. Just like they haven't figured out everything about gas-powered vehicles. But degree they want to ban one for the other. Immediately!!!

Well, the problem is that one side thinks they're the answer to everything, and the other side says wait a minute, but you can't sit and wait unless you want to get hit by both sides for not picking one argument or another,
What if you could have both? Electric when it's convenient and gas when you need it. I'm going to patent this idea...what should we call it?**

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
What if you could have both? Electric when it's convenient and gas when you need it. I'm going to patent this idea...what should we call it?**
I love it. Now let's figure out how to enrich everyone so they can afford it.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I love it. Now let's figure out how to enrich everyone so they can afford it.
My plugin hybrid Rubicon cost less than a gas burner with a vaginal v-6 after the tax credit. And prolly 1/2 that 6.32 GMC cost you there money bags.***

There's never been a person driving a GMC that I didn't think was rich. It's always 20k more than a comparable Chevy for a slick grill and a "professional grade" tagline.

Reactions: dorndawg

BreckyBratt

Nov 5, 2022
How dare you not give all your spare cash to NIL!! You sir are the devil! Sorry lucifermorningstar!****

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Does your car have summer tires or all-season?
No clue. They’re 19’ Hanooks. I’m guessing they’re on the performance side.

I believe we’ve been driving in similar conditions all week. Yesterday was worse than today. I’ve been able to navigate around town without much issue in it. There’s a boneyard of cars leading “up on the mountain” though.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
My plugin hybrid Rubicon cost less than a gas burner with a vaginal v-6 after the tax credit. And prolly 1/2 that 6.32 GMC cost you there money bags.***

There's never been a person driving a GMC that I didn't think was rich. It's always 20k more than a comparable Chevy for a slick grill and a "professional grade" tagline.
Well, you didn't have to take the comment personally and give me an itemized breakdown of how you filed tax credits to offset the ridiculous price. And the comment had nothing to do with my GMC Sierra, either. Don't be jealous that you can't afford to drive one.

My comment was enriching EVERYONE to own one. Not everyone is as privileged as you are.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login