OT: Eggs

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Just picked up a dozen large AA Lucerne eggs for $1.79. They were up to $5.49 at one point, but this feels much lower than pre avian flu.

I would guess there may be some over production which would be normal, but is there another factor that will kick in soon if it hasn't already? 4-5 groups of local friends around here bought chicks this spring and are going to have more eggs than they can shake a stick at.

These chicks aren't producing yet, but will be by July. If 5% of the country ran out and bought chicks this year, that's going to make a huge dent in egg demand. My past experience was when people start raising chickens I get a whole lot of free eggs for a couple of years. Then in year three when they are over it, I get a free chicken.**

Anyone else seen a bunch of new amateur chicken farmers pop up in your area? FYI, I love fresh eggs, but my grandmother had a **** load of chickens and I will never have those nasty bastards. I'll raise my own hogs and catfish or something first.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
On another note, why are the grocery store eggs all white and about the same size vs...privately owned chickens where the eggs are different colors and sizes? Anyone who has ever had chicken houses will tell you that cleaning out the houses are one of the dirtiest of all the dirty jobs. Mike Rowe wouldn't do an episode on that because he couldn't stand the smell.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Just picked up a dozen large AA Lucerne eggs for $1.79. They were up to $5.49 at one point, but this feels much lower than pre avian flu.

I would guess there may be some over production which would be normal, but is there another factor that will kick in soon if it hasn't already? 4-5 groups of local friends around here bought chicks this spring and are going to have more eggs than they can shake a stick at.

These chicks aren't producing yet, but will be by July. If 5% of the country ran out and bought chicks this year, that's going to make a huge dent in egg demand. My past experience was when people start raising chickens I get a whole lot of free eggs for a couple of years. Then in year three when they are over it, I get a free chicken.**

Anyone else seen a bunch of new amateur chicken farmers pop up in your area? FYI, I love fresh eggs, but my grandmother had a **** load of chickens and I will never have those nasty bastards. I'll raise my own hogs and catfish or something first.

I imagine that feed prices, and other items such as utilities is going to play a big part, in bringing prices down.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020

What's a Lucerne Egg?

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
On another note, why are the grocery store eggs all white and about the same size vs...privately owned chickens where the eggs are different colors and sizes? Anyone who has ever had chicken houses will tell you that cleaning out the houses are one of the dirtiest of all the dirty jobs. Mike Rowe wouldn't do an episode on that because he couldn't stand the smell.
Because all the commercially bread chickens are the same variety.

Reactions: patdog

3000lbchicken

May 1, 2006
Proud Of You Yes GIF

TulsaLawDawg

Aug 24, 2012

I like eggs

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Where is DCD and his dismissive comments about how unhealthy and trashy yard bird eggs are?

Personally, I haven't seen any more suburbanites with chickens compared to pre-egg price surge.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
There was someone spreading it on pastures on hwy 45 close to Macon a couple weeks ago. Miles past it I could still smell it in my sinuses.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Chickens are too nasty but hogs are fine….

Man, SPS is a strange place some days.
Go clean the litter out of a chicken house with more than a few hundred chickens living in it and get back to me. My great grandmother raised broilers and roasters for a while. Had about 500 I'd guess, in Mcgregor, TX. Spent my 4th grade summer there....

And that old nag made me go clean out that chicken house my first day there. Not because it was a good life experience, because it was so 17ing disgusting nobody else would do it. Must have been years since it had been done. It was not the little dry chicken coops of suburbia. This was a wet, leaky, musty old metal building that baked in the sun and flooded every time it rained.

I will take the pigs all day. Hate those 17ing chickens. I say we fry em all.

Reactions: Eleven Bravo

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Go clean the litter out of a chicken house with more than a few hundred chickens living in it and get back to me. My great grandmother raised broilers and roasters for a while. Had about 500 I'd guess, in Mcgregor, TX. Spent my 4th grade summer there....

And that old nag made me go clean out that chicken house my first day there. Not because it was a good life experience, because it was so 17ing disgusting nobody else would do it. Must have been years since it had been done. It was not the little dry chicken coops of suburbia. This was a wet, leaky, musty old metal building that baked in the sun and flooded every time it rained.

I will take the pigs all day. Hate those 17ing chickens. I say we fry em all.
I thought we were talking about just amateur farm animal raisin.. Didn't realize you meant on an industrial scale. To my point.. 10 chickens in a coop out behind the barn isn't near the mess that is a pen with 4 hogs waiting on the fall slaughter.

Man...sitting here with nothing better to do than go back and forth about which is nastier.. chickens or hogs... Personally I blame Lemonis.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I thought we were talking about just amateur farm animal raisin.. Didn't realize you meant on an industrial scale. To my point.. 10 chickens in a coop out behind the barn isn't near the mess that is a pen with 4 hogs waiting on the fall slaughter.

Man...sitting here with nothing better to do than go back and forth about which is nastier.. chickens or hogs... Personally I blame Lemonis.
Agree. I just personally will never own even a single chicken because of said experience. I hate em and I have already told these new egg farming friends that when they get tired of dealing with those hens I will show them how to bleed a chicken in the afternoon to have it ready for dinner.**

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
Pre-Covid commercial eggs were about $.99. One of my best friends raises chickens and gives me all the eggs I could ever need. I process deer for her and take her kids hunting. It's a win win situation. A few chickens running around with a small coup isn't too nasty at all. Spending all day at chicken farm like Cal Maine is a different story and just as bag as hog farms.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
I grew up on a dairy farm with all kinds of animals-including the hogs and chickens that weren’t necessary to a dairy operation. From personal experience, the hogs weren’t nearly as nasty as the damned chickens. Oh, and if you’ve never been attacked by a rooster, you have no idea what a real fight is all about. Those sumbitches are mean as hell, and they will tear your flesh right down to the bone.. I’ve had my *** whipped by a rooster more than one. My Grandma had about 20-30 laying hens at any one time, and the rooster was a necessity. Any time I rode my bicycle to my grandparents’ house, that damned rooster would spy me coming down the driveway and the race was on. One of the worst-*** whippings I ever got in my life was one time I took a broom to that rooster. Grandma whipped my *** with a limb off a peach tree-and that was after getting my *** whipped by that rooster. To hell with a bunch of chickens-I’ll buy my eggs at the grocery store…

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I grew up on a dairy farm with all kinds of animals-including the hogs and chickens that weren’t necessary to a dairy operation. From personal experience, the hogs weren’t nearly as nasty as the damned chickens. Oh, and if you’ve never been attacked by a rooster, you have no idea what a real fight is all about. Those sumbitches are mean as hell, and they will tear your flesh right down to the bone.. I’ve had my *** whipped by a rooster more than one. My Grandma had about 20-30 laying hens at any one time, and the rooster was a necessity. Any time I rode my bicycle to my grandparents’ house, that damned rooster would spy me coming down the driveway and the race was on. One of the worst-*** whippings I ever got in my life was one time I took a broom to that rooster. Grandma whipped my *** with a limb off a peach tree-and that was after getting my *** whipped by that rooster. To hell with a bunch of chickens-I’ll buy my eggs at the grocery store…
Good lord thats a helluva childhood!

Reactions: 17itdawg

Big Sheep81

Feb 24, 2008

Remember "You got to sell them chickens before they die, and the eggs before they hatch"

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I agree with him. I know both chicken farmers and hog farmers and that chicken barn is the worst smelling place on the planet.
Storm chase a few years ago and we were down near Mount Olive and one hit a chicken farm. In addition to the usual chicken farm smells throw in a bunch of dead chickens on top of it. Good times.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login