OT: European Vacation

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
I am trying to plan a 10 year Anniversary trip to Greece and/or Italy for next summer. We are trying to do 2 weeks. A fall or spring trip would have been great, but we didn’t want to put that burden on our parents taking care of the kids for that long. If we move it to a 9 day trip in the spring or fall then maybe I could make it work.

I’ve been to Ireland in HS with EF Tours and that’s all the experience we’ve had with Europe. Using a defined tour sounds nice that way our logistics are taken care, however the EF groups were massive and I don’t want to be tied to that many people. On the other hand the prospect of planning such a massive trip myself is daunting on our first trip to Europe.

It’s all a bit daunting and spending that much money I want to make sure it’s done right. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
I recommend river cruising in Europe. Wife and I did a river cruise on the Seine from Paris to Normandy and back in 2022 and a cruise from Amsterdam on the Schelte to Antwerp and other Belgium/Netherlands towns/cities. I highly recommend Scenic Cruise Lines. Can put you in touch with an awesome travel agent in New York if you're interested. She's known as "The European Travel Whisperer."

Last edited:
Reactions: Podgy

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Since you & your wife haven’t had much European tour experience, I’d advise you to check in with a travel agent for help.

Small group tours are pretty common. I know folks who’ve done them. I don’t know of one that that covers both Italy and Greece but maybe the agent knows of two separate tours that could work if Greco-Roman is what you want…

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017

chevy chase dancing GIF

r and r selfie GIF

There you go. Saved you $15,000.

III.sixpack

May 6, 2014
I am trying to plan a 10 year Anniversary trip to Greece and/or Italy for next summer. We are trying to do 2 weeks. A fall or spring trip would have been great, but we didn’t want to put that burden on our parents taking care of the kids for that long. If we move it to a 9 day trip in the spring or fall then maybe I could make it work.

I’ve been to Ireland in HS with EF Tours and that’s all the experience we’ve had with Europe. Using a defined tour sounds nice that way our logistics are taken care, however the EF groups were massive and I don’t want to be tied to that many people. On the other hand the prospect of planning such a massive trip myself is daunting on our first trip to Europe.

It’s all a bit daunting and spending that much money I want to make sure it’s done right. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!
Avoid Greece! Italy is great. Lake Como, Venice, Rome and the Amalfi Coast are nice. Viking River Cruises are really good. The Grand European cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest on the Rhine, Main and Danube rivers is fantastic.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022

Spend time in Greece, but I would make my way to Italy early in the trip. There is really two ways to handle Italy, depending on how your flying back to the States.

These are the places I would see while in Italy, given your trip is starting in Greece.
Positano 2 days, Rome 4 days, Florence 2 days, Venice 2 days. Fly out of Venice or Rom.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006

I spent about 10 days in Italy a few years back. Was just my wife and I and we had a great time. We spent six days in Rome and the rest of the time in Florence - though we enjoyed Florence more, so I wish we'd spent more time there. If you like art at all, the Uffizi Gallery in Florence is incredible.

There are enough major things to do in both places that we didn't really feel the need to plan things out. We used an old-school (but current) guide book and just kind of picked an area of the city each day and saw the sites there. Then we'd find a cafe for a late lunch and would just enjoy the people watching for a bit.

We aren't the type to plan our day meticulously but one thing I would suggest is to have an idea of the sites you do want to see. Then I'd look them up and check their schedules. Some places are closed at random times or on random days or just for random reasons. The one place we missed that we really wanted to see was the Vatican Museum/Sistine Chapel but it was closed the day we tried to go.

If you do want to go with a group, you might check the MSU alumni travel site. They usually have a wide variety of trips you can go on and it's ostensibly with other MSU fans (I think).

Last edited:

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Christmas Vacation was OKAY? You know I thought I liked you Patdog but this is too far.
Same here, Pat and I usually see eye to eye on most things but my opinion has now officially changed. He's nothing but a "a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-arse, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey shat he is! Hallelujah! Holy shat! Where's the Tylenol?"

PS: And 'Die Hard' IS MOST CERTAINLY a Christmas movie

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Greece for a couple of days and then Italy would be my preference. Rome and Florence and Sorrento are nice destinations that don't require too much time travelling so you can spend more time enjoying the area. You can get to Capri and Pompeii or Herculaneum as well. Do you have to see Venice and Milan, or just one of them? If not, stick with the Rome, Florence, Sorrento area and do a few side trips. Don't try to see too many things. Enjoy time sitting in a cafe drinking wine or beer (Italians make good beer, especially Pilsners), eating good food and people watching. Does wifey have a credit card? Lots of things women want to buy and take home.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
If Greece/Italy are must dos, would recommend a cruise. Can start in Venice and hit islands in Greece, as well as Croatia, and loop back around and hit Rome, Capri, Florence, etc. The Dalmatian Coast of Croatia is very underrated.

lowdawg

Sep 3, 2012
Greece is amazing, at least Santorini and the islands. My wife’s top place we’ve been. Don’t need much time in Athens though.

Italy is where you want to spend some time. we used viator.com to book our activities. Daytrip to Tuscany was amazing, the colosseum tour was easy. But our favorite tour through viator was the food tour of Trastevere neighborhood. Wish we would have done this first to help plan other food choices.
Osteria Barberini specializes in truffles and is the best food we had in Rome!

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I flew into Amsterdam then 72 hours later I was on a train to Calais before taking a big boat across the English Channel to Dover. From there I rented a car and drove all the way to Fishguard Wales stopping along the way when I wanted to check something out at my leisure. Then took another boat to Ireland and drove to Longford County where my ancestors originated. The B&B's were cool getting to know locals. Played golf and hung out in bars getting to know the people. I'm glad I did all that as opposed to being on a regulated tour.

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
Avoid Greece! Italy is great. Lake Como, Venice, Rome and the Amalfi Coast are nice. Viking River Cruises are really good. The Grand European cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest on the Rhine, Main and Danube rivers is fantastic.
Full disclosure - heard good things about Viking and they advertise a lot. I've never been on a Viking cruise. My travel agent books exclusively with Scenic; they are owned by Australians with REALLY DEEP pockets, hence they don't need to advertise. There's not a river cruise in Europe that Viking offers that Scenic does not offer as well. Just offering options here.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I spent about 10 days in Italy a few years back. Was just my wife and I and we had a great time. We spent six days in Rome and the rest of the time in Florence - though we enjoyed Florence more, so I wish we'd spent more time there. If you like art at all, the Uffizi Gallery in Florence is incredible.

There are enough major things to do in both places that we didn't really feel the need to plan things out. We used an old-school (but current) guide book and just kind of picked an area of the city each day and saw the sites there. Then we'd find a cafe for a late lunch and would just enjoy the people watching for a bit.

We aren't the type to plan our day meticulously but one thing I would suggest is to have an idea of the sites you do want to see. Then I'd look them up and check their schedules. Some places are closed at random times or on random days or just for random reasons. The one place we missed that we really wanted to see was the Vatican Museum/Sistine Chapel but it was closed the day we tried to go.

If you do want to go with a group, you might check the MSU alumni travel site. They usually have a wide variety of trips you can go on and it's ostensibly with other MSU fans (I think).
I remember when I was IIRC 10-11 years old. Back then to see David you had to have a ticket with a time. We went in with our EF tour with a group of nuns. While everybody stood there marveling at one of the worlds most magnificent works of art. I turned to my mother and said, "Mom, did we go all this way just to see a statue of a naked man?" Apparently even the nuns cracked up.

The Sistine Chapel is worth a return trip.

• Haha
Reactions: FQDawg

houstonutsack

Sep 23, 2012
My wife and colle age daughter went to Greece and it dirty and hot. Really didn’t enjoy it. If a hotel in Athens says it has a view of the Acropolis don’t be fooled-every where in Athens has a view of the Acropolis. They said the most entertaining thing in Athens is watching the cops do a nightly sweep arresting street walkers.
We went to Italy on a self arranged train trip and loved it. Saw Milan, Venice, Florence, Rome, Pompei, Naples and the Amalfi Coast. In Naples go to the historical museum that has the relics from Pompei and pay the small fee extra to see the Secret Room where they the sexual objects from Pompei are.

Mar 6, 2013

Don't split it. Spend 2 weeks in Italy.
2 nights in Venice
Rent a car
2 or 3 nights in the Dolomites
4 nights in Tuscany - see Florence/Cinque Terra/Siena/Tuscany/Pisa
Return car rental
Train to Naples
3 nights in Positano - see Capri/Amalfi coast/Pompei/Naples
Train to Rome
3 nights in Rome

Summer time is the best. There is a reason for the crowds. Hit the tourist hot spots but always find time to wander/get lost away from the touristy areas (yes, it's possible even in Venice)
Driving the Italian countryside is my favorite. Speed cameras are numerous but marked with signs (and on Google Maps).
Watch a dozen Rick Steves videos on YouTube. Watch ProWalk Tours on YouTube.

Last edited:
Reactions: TrueMaroonGrind

HeCannotGo

Feb 23, 2011

A group tour or river cruise would take away most of the planning hassle, but the downside is that you're locked in to their itinerary. Want to spend an extra few hours in this museum or go to that iconic restaurant? No can do.

An alternative is a site that I've used several times for European trips: tripmasters.com. They offer one-stop shopping for flights, hotels, trains, activities and airport transfers. You pick the cities, dates, and number of nights, and they spit out a suggested flight schedule and hotel. You can then search other flights and hotels if you want. This provides you with much of the convenience of a tour group while retaining the ability to set your own schedule.

I've used this site to book trips to Paris, Rome, London, Venice, Prague, Budapest, and Vienna. I've never had any problems.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021

I'm looking at going sometime next year so I'd be interested in what you find out. I've found a website called travelzoo.com that has some nice deals.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I’m thinking pretty hard about cutting back to one country. I’m leaning Italy, but the wife is leaning Greece.

I’ve also tried to convince my wife to do the river cruise. She is really opposed to them for whatever reason. I may win that battle eventually. Not in time for this trip though.

Ingomardawg

Oct 1, 2018

Ingomardawg

Oct 1, 2018
I/we have been to Italy several times and going back in September.

you might consider a tour group. We have used Gate 1 and Grand European Tours. And they weren’t just old folks. We had two sets of honeymooners on our last trip.

The food, wine, and people in Italy are amazing.

Put a river cruise on your bucket list. The Rhine and Danube are amazing. Look at Gate 1 and save thousands over Viking.

eEnjoy, and happy anniversary.

goodknight

Jan 27, 2011

I’d go off the beaten path so to speak. Yes do some of the touristy things but get out and see the countryside, find a good vineyard that has rooms …….

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Get off the beaten path in Tuscany. Poke around the small towns. The countryside there is wonderful. I'd also second Viking. Thats a good way to go to see things without worry or fuss.

raiderdoctor

Aug 3, 2019

MY family and I did this exact trip a few years ago. We studied the options alot and used a company out of New York that specializes in Italy Greece vacations and it was over the top incredible. We have since used the company again. We flew into Rome and hit all the major sites. We then had a driver take us to Pompeii (can be skipped if not a history buff) and then to Positano. We spent several night there and also went to Capri by boat. From there we had a driver take us to the Naples airport and flew to Santorini. We stayed their several days and then flew to Athens. We did the major tours there and flew back to the USA. During the stay we were at only the best hotels, restaurants, cooking classes, wine tastings etc. A trip like this is way too expensive to risk a rookie mistake. I have tons of more details if you need. The company is called WAC travel 8455351300. They spend months working out every detail so you have to make your plans well in advance.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006

If you go to Rome for a few days and plan on using the subway/bus system, go to one of the tobacco stores and get a weekly pass. It'll be cheaper than buying it from a kiosk. Also, if you plan on going to the Vatican, pre-purchase a ticket. You'll still have to wait in the security line but you'll get to bypass the 1/2mile long line outside of people who didn't pre-purchase tickets. Doing a self-tour of the colosseum lets you take your time and stay all day if you want to but the guided tours take you down to the hypogeum and further up than just your self guided ticket.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login