OT: Ever have 2nd thoughts about attending MSU?

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
More specifically, if MSU was one of multiple opportunities for college for you, have you ever looked back at the “road(s) not taken?”

ETA: MSU typing class fails me with my Android

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
When I hear discussions about kids applying to Ivy league schools and having safety schools, I do wonder what schools might have accepted me. But this was 1984, and it wasn't something that crossed my mind.

But my MSU degree (and my 2 years prior at a local JUCO) have served me well. And depending on where I landed, I think 18-year old me would have been homesick.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
I was on the path for another couple of schools, going ChE. State wasn't even on the radar. Then, one weekend I got a bunch of scholarship disappointments from those other schools and had an invite to visit state. I went for orientation weekend, met the best people and knew there was a reason it all went the way it did. Have never thought "what if".

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I’ve mentioned before that Millsaps was my second choice. I’ve wondered about that.

But if I went that route, we wouldn’t have met.

I could have gone the JUCO route and gone to State my junior year. Maybe I would have stayed in engineering had that happened.

My third option was Alabama. I was offered a partial academic scholarship from them.

I wonder most about Millsaps? Or JUCO and then Engineering at State?

I wasn’t all that vested in Alabama. I considered them my safety school 😂

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I sometimes think about what life would look like if i would’ve gone to trade school and then eventually opened my own plumbing and hvac company. I don’t think about attending other universities

Yeah, I’ve often thought about the trades over the years , too

LongRanger

Oct 1, 2023
Yes. My sophomore year I was so close to transferring to LSU. My folks are in BR and I was homesick. The only thing that stopped me was the thought of having “Louisiana State University” written on my diploma, hanging on my wall, forever. The thought of that made me sick.

I love State, and I’m thankful every day that I chose to stick it out.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Mainly when I'm sitting in the stands at The Dude, The Hump, or Davis Wade**.

I wanted to join the military and then let them pay for my education, but my mom didn't like that idea. The fact that I didn't do that and just took out school loans is the only thing I regret. Otherwise I doubt I would have met my wife, I wouldn't have the kids I do now which I thoroughly enjoy, etc so all in all no regrets other than financial.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Heck no....I was a slightly above average student (hello McCool hall) that was poor as S! I hated Ole Miss and never would have fit in there anyway.

I never would have made it out had I gone JC route either.....even my dumb A 18 yr old version of me knew that was a party trap that I would never escape ***

LocalBeachBum

Dec 8, 2021
I was accepted into the cheaters up north for accounting. At the last moment, I switched into engineering at state. I settled on Petroleum Engineering. When graduation came around, you couldn’t buy a job in the oil patch. A couple of my classmates ended up offshore doing roughnecking.

after graduation, I learned that Texas A&M had better job placement. I wished, at one time, I had gone there. But if I had thought that far in advance, I would have never considered pet eng at state. So by happenstance, I am an alumni. I would not give that up for anything as going to state saved me from the sh17hole that is ole mistake

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Mine was moreso a question of JUCO or no JUCO. I could’ve had a free ride to Jones for two years but I was ready to move off to State. I did have a rough first semester freshman year, my classes were significantly harder than high school and I didn’t like studying as hard as was required. I took Calculus right off the bat and wasn’t ready for it, made a D and had to retake in the spring, got a B on the second try. Struggled to make friends at first too but started getting plugged in more after Christmas my freshman year and was fine after that. Never was a great student, heck I barely graduated in accounting and it took an act of God for me to finally pass the CPA exam years later. But I don’t have regrets.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
No. I grew up an ole miss fan, lived ~20 minutes from there, and always figured I'd go to college there. But once I settled on engineering it was MSU or nothing. Funny thing is almost everyone I knew that went to a 4-year college ended up at MSU. I can't think of a single person I considered a close friend at the time that went to ole miss.

My only real 2nd thought related to college was that I had a job offer on the spot during one of those career fairs. Great company, would have given me an opportunity to move out of state and lived 8+ hours away. Only downside is I really didn't want to be involved in their industry... don't think I would have liked it long term. But if I could go back I would definitely have taken the offer just to try something so different for a few years.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Wanted to be a pilot but pretty much back then you needed to join the Air Force.
Going State vs signing up for military service seemed a better plan.
Looking back, joining the Air Force probably would have been really neat and enjoyable for the most part and I probably would have decided I didn’t want to be a pilot after all but could have done numerous other things maybe.

Reactions: kired and Mr. Cook

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Regret is a strong word because it all worked out in the end, but if I could do it again, I would go to State instead of the school I attended.

I'm a sidewalk State fan.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I would have gone with computer programming and language. It was still in that early phase and just starting the internet. Other than that, I should have changed to the sciences. I was not a math guy, so engineering was out. I would have liked the computer engineering world hearing my Son-In-Law talk about the work he does.

Reactions: eckie1 and Mr. Cook

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
I’ve mentioned before that Millsaps was my second choice. I’ve wondered about that.

But if I went that route, we wouldn’t have met.

I could have gone the JUCO route and gone to State my junior year. Maybe I would have stayed in engineering had that happened.

My third option was Alabama. I was offered a partial academic scholarship from them.

I wonder most about Millsaps? Or JUCO and then Engineering at State?

I wasn’t all that vested in Alabama. I considered them my safety school 😂

I went to Millsaps my freshman year. After one semester I realized my future was in engineering and I could not tolerate the growing liberalism on that campus at the time. I did everything in my powers to ensure I would be at state the next year.

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009
More specifically, if MSU was one of multiple opportunities for college for you, have you ever looked back at the “road(s) not taken?”

I literally never considered going anywhere else and was pretty much set on going to State since birth. In a way it was decided for me by my parents, but I didn't see it that way.

I certainly think there are better eductions to be had, at least for my major (business) but I have absolutely no regrets. I met my wife at State and the path led me to a great career I never would have thought possible in a field I didn't know existed.

I have since thought about what my second choice would have been... And I still have no clue.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I should have gone to JUCO. I didn’t have the maturity (shocker) to be at a 4-year school as a freshman. And sometimes I do wish I’d gone a little farther away. No idea where I’d have gone. MSU was the cheapest, best degree for me at the time.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Sophomore year, I thought about transferring to be closer to my girlfriend/wife at Tulane.

As for going elsewhere entirely?...a degree was required for me to have my current job, but it's not like a degree from elsewhere would have helped more. Bonus that it was inexpensive to attain, so no I don't have 2nd thoughts.
No ragrets. Thats my credo.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I had two tours at State, the first in 85 (lasted one semester), then joined the AF. My last duty station was Barksdale in 1991, I had a great time in Bossier/Shreveport, came within a whisker of staying in the AF reserves and attending LSU Shreveport. Instead i transferred to the ANG and hit the portal to State. I also have college credit from the University of Maine, Delta misStake and many JCs.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Wanted to be a pilot but pretty much back then you needed to join the Air Force.
Going State vs signing up for military service seemed a better plan.
Looking back, joining the Air Force probably would have been really neat and enjoyable for the most part and I probably would have decided I didn’t want to be a pilot after all but could have done numerous other things maybe.
Ha, I had same thoughts about joining AF to be a pilot. They were recruiting the hell out of me even after I started college. 2nd semester I was struggling bad in cal-II and told them if I didn't pass I'd join. Squeaked by with the only C I ever made. That was spring 2000. Man, things would have taken a really unexpected change soon after that.

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
Ha, I had same thoughts about joining AF to be a pilot. They were recruiting the hell out of me even after I started college. 2nd semester I was struggling bad in cal-II and told them if I didn't pass I'd join. Squeaked by with the only C I ever made. That was spring 2000. Man, things would have taken a really unexpected change soon after that.

Wow, you made a “C”! I tried awfully hard to make one but just never could quite get over the hump….

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I went to Millsaps my freshman year. After one semester I realized my future was in engineering and I could not tolerate the growing liberalism on that campus at the time. I did everything in my powers to ensure I would be at state the next year.
I thought engineering first initially which is why I chose State over Millsaps.

That was a mistake. But I don’t regret the friendships I’ve made at MSU.

State’s profs in other programs taught me well but my success is largely because Southern Miss is the only university in the state where folks can earn degrees in my field.

But I wonder about going to Millsaps where I’d likely would have gotten a business related degree and then went for my MBA or perhaps law school.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Best 4 years of my life and my degree served me well in my working career. My kids also loved going to school at State and their degrees launched both of them into very successful business careers. Perfect place for us. From a sports perspective they has been a lot of joy, but also even more pain and suffering.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
I thought engineering first initially which is why I chose State over Millsaps.

That was a mistake. But I don’t regret the friendships I’ve made at MSU.

State’s profs in other programs taught me well but my success is largely because Southern Miss is the only university in the state where folks can earn degrees in my field.

But I wonder about going to Millsaps where I’d likely would have gotten a business related degree and then went for my MBA or perhaps law school.
Polymer Science....you dlldo making SOB!! *

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Got a couple degrees from a couple schools. 17 anybody that says they aren't happy with State.
1 7 Y O U!!!!
I have one from ICC after a night school 3-year stint, Soph to graduate. Finished a double major in Liberal Arts at MSU in two years. No one was recruiting a 32-year-old transfer. I did get one frat invitation. My buds said it was their loss, especially in the kitchen and keeping my buds entertained and out of trouble.

I 17ing had a blast.

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008

I grew up in Natchez. Wanted to go to LSU initially because I grew up going to LSU games and my dad was a huge fan. Out of state tuition was too much for my parents. Ended up following my best friend to MSU and had the best years of my life.

TLDR: I regret nothing.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
If I wanted an education in college I could have had full rides to a few Ivy League schools. I could have gone to a few smaller schools in Florida. I could not get Arizona to bite. MSU was the only division 1 southern school to offer any scholarship so I took it and never regretted my decision.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login