OT: Extended Car Warranties

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Any of you have, or had, one of those extended car warranties you see advertised on TV such as Car Shield or Endurance? My car is looking at needing a new $6,000 transmission and I am debating on whether or not to buy one of those warranties to get it replaced. My local mechanic does not accept any of them so it would have to go to the dealership assuming they accept them. Trying to decide if they're worth it or just a pain in the *** to use.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Any of you have, or had, one of those extended car warranties you see advertised on TV such as Car Shield or Endurance? My car is looking at needing a new $6,000 transmission and I am debating on whether or not to buy one of those warranties to get it replaced. My local mechanic does not accept any of them so it would have to go to the dealership assuming they accept them. Trying to decide if they're worth it or just a pain in the *** to use.

Assuming the local dealer does accept them is a big ask.

Many dealers want folks to go with their extended warranties to keep the money flow in-house.

That said, I’ve had extended warranties in the past and haven’t had issues. There was one dealership that wouldn’t accept it so I asked the service guy to recommend a mechanic— and that mechanic accepted that warranty.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Assuming the local dealer does accept them is a big ask.

Many dealers want folks to go with their extended warranties to keep the money flow in-house.

That said, I’ve had extended warranties in the past and haven’t had issues. There was one dealership that wouldn’t accept it so I asked the service guy to recommend a mechanic— and that mechanic accepted that warranty.
I just called the dealership that would be working on it and he said they do accept them but to stay away from car shield.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I had a Mazda in the dealership shop and a Nissan in a Nissan dealership shop and on both invoices, it had a line in the line items insurance. It was not the body shop. I asked the Nissa service rep guy about it and he said it was for things like car shield. I think those type companies are legit. Make sure you get a good one. Now is it worth the price or not I don't know.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
The cost of repair is $6000, and car shield is $99/month.

I'm not sure that math maths.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don't think getting coverage for an existing condition is going to be all that simple. There's a waiting period and the insurance company has the right to inspect the vehicle. Even if you limp along until after the waiting period, if you immediately file a $6,000 clam I suspect the company is going to inspect the vehicle and quickly determine it's a pre-existing condition and deny the claim.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Coworker had one. Transmission went out. According the all paperwork, it should’ve been covered. Repair shop sent all paperwork in. Took 6 months of constant phone calls trying to bug people to get money from the warranty place, but he did eventually get it.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

turkish

Aug 22, 2012
If they made $ sense for the buyer it wouldn’t be a profitable business for the seller.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
They will do anything possible to deny claims or only pay nickels on the dollar. Don't do it.
This.
HMO for car owners.
Hassle you till you cry uncle or just give up.
And you may have to go “insurer’s approved vendors” for service.

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
I don't think getting coverage for an existing condition is going to be all that simple. There's a waiting period and the insurance company has the right to inspect the vehicle. Even if you limp along until after the waiting period, if you immediately file a $6,000 clam I suspect the company is going to inspect the vehicle and quickly determine it's a pre-existing condition and deny the claim.
i have never had one but i think you have to have one before you file a claim and even then the transmission going out is going to fall under normal wear and tear

Reactions: patdog

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
It can def be worth it. Ask what insurance company backs and administers the plan. But you will likely find a clause saying they don’t pay for preexisting conditions and if you file asap it will raise flags. They are smart and will most likely catch it

patdog

May 28, 2007
It can def be worth it. Ask what insurance company backs and administers the plan. But you will likely find a clause saying they don’t pay for preexisting conditions and if you file asap it will raise flags. They are smart and will most likely catch it
Like all insurance it’s nit worth it if your can afford to self insure. The insurance companies aren’t doing this out of the goodness of their heart.

CoastTrash

Aug 22, 2012
Just have a pile of cash to pay for repairs. You can negotiate best prices and choose the best with cash….

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022

I would only get one directly from the manufacturer. I’ve been looking into a Ford extended service plan.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I'm not going to give any of those damn annoying phone call scamming, junk emailing mother 17'ers 1 red cent of my money. Same for those companies that insist that I need to enlarge my schlong, what makes them think I'm "inadequate" ?

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Insurance companies (and that’s all this is, really) don’t make money or profit by paying out claims.

It’s either going to get denied, or be a total PITA to get it approved. Outside of things like AppleCare, I almost never 17 with any kind of extended coverage / protection beyond what I need legally for my home and vehicle.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Like all insurance it’s nit worth it if your can afford to self insure. The insurance companies aren’t doing this out of the goodness of their heart.
I think you're generally correct but there is the benefit of purchasing power. Some places want self-paying customers to not have to deal with the hassle of insurance companies, but some people screw self-paying customers because they are just gravy on top of their large customers.

A car breakdown is generally going to be a crazy thing to insure against. But if you know nothing and it stops you from getting screwed by a mechanic while smoothing out your cashflow, that's a product worth paying a premium for. That said, my impression from people that have had them is that a lot of them just bid out work to whoever is willing to give the lowest price and those people generally aren't happy with the pricing when they're actually doing the work, and you basically get worked in when they are not busy with better paying customers. Not sure how common that is as I assume the people that it works well for don't go around trumpeting how great the deal is.

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
Probably will not pay for something already needing repaired…..that is like trying to buy a homeowner policy with a hurricane in the gulf.
This was my first thought after reading initial post. Insurance is something you can't buy once you are damaged. I think putting $100 away a month is a better Way to go.

idog

Aug 17, 2010
Bought my wife a new Wagoneer and paid the dealer for an extended (8yr) warranty bc I'm not comfortable with Jeep reliability. Had a simple issue in the first week and they took care of it without question. I don't expect issues and if I do I think having the dealer write the warranty is going to help with any legal help I may have to employ if I had to go that far. Please I didn't think paying about $2500-2800 for a warranty on a $70k vehicle was a bad gamble after having a Wrangler in the past which had trasmission issues at 80k miles...

FreshAsHail

Nov 7, 2023
Nissan?

FreshAsHail

Nov 7, 2023
I'm not going to give any of those damn annoying phone call scamming, junk emailing mother 17'ers 1 red cent of my money. Same for those companies that insist that I need to enlarge my schlong, what makes them think I'm "inadequate" ?
YES! Don't ever make the mistake of searching for insurance online....YOU WILL GET BOMBARED WITH CALLS AND EMAILS. Go physically to local places. You might pay more but damn if it ain't worth it to have someone local to go and actually talk to.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Bought my wife a new Wagoneer and paid the dealer for an extended (8yr) warranty bc I'm not comfortable with Jeep reliability. Had a simple issue in the first week and they took care of it without question. I don't expect issues and if I do I think having the dealer write the warranty is going to help with any legal help I may have to employ if I had to go that far. Please I didn't think paying about $2500-2800 for a warranty on a $70k vehicle was a bad gamble after having a Wrangler in the past which had trasmission issues at 80k miles...
Why are you buying Jeeps? You know they’re not reliable. Also, 8 years is a long time to lock yourself into a vehicle. If you sell it earlier you’ve just wasted part of that premium.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Why are you buying Jeeps? You know they’re not reliable. Also, 8 years is a long time to lock yourself into a vehicle. If you sell it earlier you’ve just wasted part of that premium.
People don’t keep cars for 8 years?

FreshAsHail

Nov 7, 2023
If I had a pile of cash that would have meant I printed it myself and rumour is the secret service and FBI frown on that sort of thing.
I know right? It's like saying the solution to recruiting issues is just offer every 5 star $2.5 to come to your school....Easy peasy

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I bought a 6 year extended the last time I vehicle shopped, the warranty is transferable to a new owner. Or at least, that's what the finance guy told me.

Jacknut

Sep 29, 2022
Never buy those extended warranties at purchase (and finance them!). You can always buy them later from the dealership. But as far as the OP, not sure if you can file a claim right after you buy a policy. You may just have to take it to CarMax and sell it to them.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
CarShield is a scam, they don't pay. Where I work we flat out refuse it.

They will all contest motor and transmission claims or major electrical. If you have an older car, they will buy used motors and transmissions and have them put in.

If you buy an extended warranty at purchase. Then use your dealer for service, you typically have no problems because everything is documented in the dealers system.

A lot of shops give you a receipt that isn't properly documented, then your ext warranty will not pay.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
You need to read the fine print on major repairs for vehicles out of warranty. It varies by company. Shortest is 6 months I have seen.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Aftermarket extended warranty on anything is very good for the person selling it and at best will require a lot of effort from you to get anything paid, especially a big ticket item that is pre-existing. What transmission /car?

DeeEE!

Dec 19, 2023
I’ve always steered clear. I was offered a Ford ESP plan for a used expedition. It was “only” $3600 for 2 years, 24k miles. Credit Union was the same. Hard nope.

Some people have OK luck. Others it’s a constant battle.

They almost all require a pre inspection.

Just remember their job is to MAKE money not pay claims so they are going to do everything possible to not pay. If you decide to proceed best keep all maint records and let nothing slide. They love to do the “wasn’t covered because scheduled maint wasn’t done”

Delta_dawg

Jul 15, 2021
I’ve bought an extended warranty from the dealership for the last couple of ford trucks I’ve had and they have both paid for themselves. On the last one I got my pro rated premium back since I hadn’t met the mileage when I traded even though they had already paid more in repairs than the premium. I’m also very rough on them so I feel like I’ll get something fixed by them more times than not.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Never buy those extended warranties at purchase (and finance them!).

This is my policy regarding extended warranties for cars . . . and every other machine and/or apparatus known to man.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login