OT: F-150 thoughts

Independent George

Sep 21, 2014
I’m looking into purchasing a used F-150 in the 2018-22 model year range. Looking at what’s available on the market now, the mileage would be somewhere between 60K and 90K in the price range I’m looking at. I’m looking exclusively models with the 3.5L V6 engine. The plan would be for me to drive it for a couple of years and then give to my son to drive and hopefully be something he can drive for several more years after that. I’m looking for perspective and experience others have had with the reliability and longevity of their own V6 F series in or around those year models.

ETA: I realize that truck preferences are a step below a religious discussion. I also like and considered Toyota and Chevy/GMC. Ultimately decided against the GM options as I’ve read about a lot of transmission problems in recent models. Love the Toyota Tundras but don’t really want to saddle my son with the fuel cost of something with such terrible MPG.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I’m looking into purchasing a used F-150 in the 2018-22 model year range. Looking at what’s available on the market now, the mileage would be somewhere between 60K and 90K in the price range I’m looking at. I’m looking exclusively models with the 3.5L V6 engine. The plan would be for me to drive it for a couple of years and then give to my son to drive and hopefully be something he can drive for several more years after that. I’m looking for perspective and experience others have had with the reliability and longevity of their own V6 F series in or around those year models.

ETA: I realize that truck preferences are a step below a religious discussion. I also like and considered Toyota and Chevy/GMC. Ultimately decided against the GM options as I’ve read about a lot of transmission problems in recent models. Love the Toyota Tundras but don’t really want to saddle my son with the fuel cost of something with such terrible MPG.
Cybertruck or bust.
j/k following along to learn

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Loved my 17' F-150 3.5 Ecoboost. drove it for 100k miles and miles and never had a major issue. Based on a friends rec at 90k, I replaced all the shocks for $800 and felt brand new. Miss that dude every day I drive it's stiff, dense, dumbass cousin Mr F-250....

Seriously, new shocks on an 80k vehicle is a game changer in ride quality.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022

I know your year range counted it out, but stay 2017 or newer. That is the more reliable 2nd generation eco boost. Has better timing chains, cam phasers, and fuel injection.

if you are not going for the premium models, don’t intend to tow heavy loads, and find a 2.7.. don’t be afraid of it. It has plenty of power. And I haven’t heard too much about reliability being a problem with them.

The main issue is the 10 speed transmission. They have had problems with them and Ford has sent out TSBs on them. Feel for any funny shifting or awkward gear changes on the test drive.

You are really at the mercy of the previous owner’s attention to maintenance. Same as all vehicles.. but maintenance is really important on the v6 turbo. Change that oil and do it with good stuff. I still have a 2015 platinum i bought used from a short older man that took meticulous care of it. It has 150,000 miles with none of the problems that usually plague the first generation 3.5 engines.

Aside from the Ford… if you wanna move your search to 2023.. the Tundra went to a V6 turbo in 23. Same displacement, but a different bore-stroke that results in more torque but a tad less upper end horsepower. It also has a strong transmission in it.

I’m still bearish on the GM trucks.. and I’m usually a Chevy guy. I will never buy one with the cylinder deactivation. Just a roll of the dice with them.

Jacknut

Sep 29, 2022
My neighbor across the street Ford's 10 speed transmission crapped the bed a few hundred miles out of warranty. The dealer took care of him and got him into a Raptor though.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
F150 w/ 5.4L was best truck I've ever owned. Purchased w/ 70,000 traded in w/ 311,000 Only thing I did was replaced coils on each cylinder several times and a right rear axle (split type axle) and that's it other than every recommended maintenance items. I towed a car hauler and a cargo trailer with it a lots of its life too w/ no issues other than it ate brake shoes once a year until I put a set of "lifetime" shoes on it and that cured that issue

Last edited:
Reactions: Drebin and BigBully

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I know several people with GMs that have had transmission issues lately but. My neighbor owns an independent mechanic shop and he specializes in pickups, especially diesels. He says that he loves a Ford because they keep him in business. He alternates between Dodge and GM for his personal truck. I personally think quality varies more truck to truck than it does brand to brand.

Reactions: trob115

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022
Beware of these Ford 10 speed transmissions. They go out with no warning and no indication of what the problem is. Design flaw that can only be fixed with a new valve body. Google it. Civil suits out the ***.

Reactions: trob115

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Beware of these Ford 10 speed transmissions. They go out with no warning and no indication of what the problem is. Design flaw that can only be fixed with a new valve body. Google it. Civil suits out the ***.
My wife had a Ford Freestyle for awhile. Transmission went out after maybe 4 years and they wanted over $7,000 to fix it. I did some research and there were thousands like me. It was a CVT (Constant Velocity Transmission) kind of like a golf cart clutch from what I was told. The tranny was designed by Volvo (which Ford also owned at the time) hence why it was so expensive. We parked that thing in a barn at the inlaws house waiting on all of the class action suits to be filed hoping to get it fixed by them but finally said 17it and donated it to Batson hospital.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Just from random conversations with people it seems like the sweet spot for value in most of your full size trucks is year models 2011-2018, regardless of brand. The newer models seem to be plagued with serious issues that the dealers can't fix and in some cases the manufacturers pass it off as "within spec" even when the problem is reproducible. They're great trucks when they work, but I think they've gotten so complex that quality control can't tame the beast anymore.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016

I drive an F150 powerboost (3.5 plus hybrid) and love it. Between the hybrid kicking in/out and the skip shifts (especially in eco mode), it'll have a quirky shift feel occasionally but knowing what it's doing and why keeps it from bothering me. Gas mileage is great. Power is great.). 0 issues in 2 plus years I've had it.

Reactions: aTotal360

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
I have 2021 F150 Lariat (3.5 Ecoboost) w/ 50k miles. The only problems I've had are with the Sync system. The transmission is garbage but hasn't crapped out me yet. Oh, I've had to replace the battery twice already.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Just from random conversations with people it seems like the sweet spot for value in most of your full size trucks is year models 2011-2018, regardless of brand. The newer models seem to be plagued with serious issues that the dealers can't fix and in some cases the manufacturers pass it off as "within spec" even when the problem is reproducible. They're great trucks when they work, but I think they've gotten so complex that quality control can't tame the beast anymore.
I had a 2017 Lariat and it was great. No issues whatsoever.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I have a 2015 F150 2.7 Ecoboost with 95K miles I bought not long before I retired. It's been perfect for all I need to do now. Gets about 21 MPG at 72-73 MPH . The 2.7L has become one of the go-to workhorses of the Ford fleet for passenger and small commercial vehicles.. Two things about the twin turbos. They have been dependable so far (knock on wood) and have got a nice kick when you push them . I would bet this truck will go from 20 to 80 quicker than most cars so it's been fun to drive.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

If you can verify regular oil/filter changes that would be ideal. I have a 2020 3.5L. The 10 speed occasionally shifts hard, mostly going into 4th under light acceleration, but it seems plenty strong. 60k miles and I've done nothing so far but regular maintenance. Tundras are bulletproof too. Traded a 2004 in on my F150 and it was in great mechanical condition.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
The 5.4 3 valve engine is a dogshite engine. Stay away from it at all costs. Bad port design hinders oil flow from the bottom end to the top end. Mechanic will tell you cam phasers. Engine replacement is the only fix

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I saw a F100 over in Tyler Texas. It had miniature Texas tags with their names on it in the back window. I **** you not.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015

George, DM me. I might be able to help.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
A 2021 or earlier Tundra gets about 15/16 MGP, what you are looking for probably get's 23/24? I'd rather pay a higher gas bill and drive for 15/20 years and 300k trouble free miles, than get 8 more MPG.
Uh, this is America, only poors drive cars that long.
I’m still rolling in the 2007 Tundra

Reactions: TrueMaroonGrind

cfree3434

Jan 14, 2021
A 2021 or earlier Tundra gets about 15/16 MGP, what you are looking for probably get's 23/24? I'd rather pay a higher gas bill and drive for 15/20 years and 300k trouble free miles, than get 8 more MPG.
I recently purchased a stock '12 tundra double cab with the 4.6 in it. The thing doesn't get great gas mileage, but it's not terrible. i get about 18.5 with 90% hwy driving. It had 120k miles on it when I bought it and I fully anticpate it lasting me for a long time. Tundras are calculated on smiles per gallon anyway**

DeeEE!

Dec 19, 2023
2016 F150 3.5LHere. No major issues. Ford makes good trucks. There is a reason you see construction sites full of super duties. Super Duties are some of the best trucks out there. But I also understand every manufacture has issues these days. Honestly they are all junk these days, it's just trying to find the one you can deal with the most. All plastic and bean counter driven. For example, the new F150s have a plastic oil pan and it leaks like crazy. Only fix is to go back to metal. Maintenance is key with the 3.5L. Oil changes every 5K is required in order for the Ecoboost to last. Not 6K, not 7K, 5K. All of the crap about manufactures oil changes being extended is full of crap. Full syn with Motorcraft Filter. I personally use Mobil1. The Ecoboost gets a lot of hate, but it honestly a great engine if you take care of it. I would highly recommend also getting a Oil Catch Can to catch unburnt vapors that cause carbon build up. Starting in 2017, they switches to port and GDI (computer alternates) so you get some cleaning there. With 2016 and previous it's GDI only, so carbon build up is an issue without a catch can. Finally, spark plugs need to be changed every 65K miles. Boosted engines like the Ecoboost fouls the plugs quicker.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I know several people with GMs that have had transmission issues lately but. My neighbor owns an independent mechanic shop and he specializes in pickups, especially diesels. He says that he loves a Ford because they keep him in business. He alternates between Dodge and GM for his personal truck. I personally think quality varies more truck to truck than it does brand to brand.

That's what it looks like to me too. Seems like I hear just as many people swearing off Ford and moving to GMC as vice versa. I've actually come across a lot more people driving Dodge trucks now and they seem to like them but say the problem is the resale value is ****** compared to the other brands. I haven't heard people complaint about Toyotas but the only people I know that drive them are pretty upper class white collar workers. Not sure if that's a price issue, or image thing, or just a quirk of my social/work circle.

I have yet to ever hear somebody say they were glad they bought a nissan truck. Pretty small sample size though.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
2016 F150 3.5LHere. No major issues. Ford makes good trucks. There is a reason you see construction sites full of super duties. Super Duties are some of the best trucks out there. But I also understand every manufacture has issues these days. Honestly they are all junk these days, it's just trying to find the one you can deal with the most. All plastic and bean counter driven. For example, the new F150s have a plastic oil pan and it leaks like crazy. Only fix is to go back to metal. Maintenance is key with the 3.5L. Oil changes every 5K is required in order for the Ecoboost to last. Not 6K, not 7K, 5K. All of the crap about manufactures oil changes being extended is full of crap. Full syn with Motorcraft Filter. I personally use Mobil1. The Ecoboost gets a lot of hate, but it honestly a great engine if you take care of it. I would highly recommend also getting a Oil Catch Can to catch unburnt vapors that cause carbon build up. Starting in 2017, they switches to port and GDI (computer alternates) so you get some cleaning there. With 2016 and previous it's GDI only, so carbon build up is an issue without a catch can. Finally, spark plugs need to be changed every 65K miles. Boosted engines like the Ecoboost fouls the plugs quicker.
Holy moly, just get a pre 2021 Tundra, all you do is turn the key and go. I go at least 10k between oil changes.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
The best vehicle alive i can give someone, never, never, never, never buy a Jeep Wrangler unless you're a sadist, like them staying in the shop and don't plan on driving it regularly. I have a 2015 JKU, the engine is a gigantic POS.

DeeEE!

Dec 19, 2023
Thanks to CAFE standards everything is getting more complicated. Toyota makes a great truck no doubt. But they recently left the V8 and went twin Turbo V6 with the new Tundra. Everyone is starting to use aluminum and turbos with smaller displacements to get around CAFE. With that being said it's going to be more important that ever to do maint. The low friction piston rings are not forgiving.

The 10K oil changes are all fun and games until you are burning oil and out of warranty. Manufactures bank on their product to get out of the warranty period, then you have to pay up. It's all about marketing with the extended intervals. Same with the "lifetime" transmission fluid.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Thanks to CAFE standards everything is getting more complicated. Toyota makes a great truck no doubt. But they recently left the V8 and went twin Turbo V6 with the new Tundra. Everyone is starting to use aluminum and turbos with smaller displacements to get around CAFE. With that being said it's going to be more important that ever to do maint. The low friction piston rings are not forgiving.

The 10K oil changes are all fun and games until you are burning oil and out of warranty. Manufactures bank on their product to get out of the warranty period, then you have to pay up. It's all about marketing with the extended intervals. Same with the "lifetime" transmission fluid.
I have not heard anything good about the 22 and later Tundras. I would not buy one; however, it's a better chance Toyota gets the V6 turbo (or hybrid) deal right than Ford or Chevy.

Sep 15, 2009
Don't do it, unless you get a V8. The twin turbo ecoboost V6 will crap out on you around 140K miles. The Ford mechanics told me to sell it when it was at about 125k, because they told me I would have major problems around 140k to 150k miles, and I ignored them. Then, around 145k miles, both turbos started leaking, and had to replace them and both manifolds. Only the dealer would touch it. No local shops. Then each catalytic converter went out within about 6 months of each other. Then both differentials were leaking (mine was 4wd). In the last year I owned it, I spent just under $10K in repairs, and the transmission was starting to act up in a way that shutter guard was not going to fix (another ongoing problem since about 125k miles). Great truck until about 140k. Trust the Ford mechanics that I didn't. Get a V8, or get out of it before 140k.

Reactions: FreshAsHail

FreshAsHail

Nov 7, 2023

I wouldn't get the 3.5. I did the research when I was looking and I decided on the 5.0. I've had a 2018 since 2019 and it's been the best truck I've ever had. Had 32K on it when I got it and I just rolled over 152K and have had minor issues. I've recently discovered it likes plus gas better than regular so I put octane booster in it.

FreshAsHail

Nov 7, 2023
Don't do it, unless you get a V8. The twin turbo ecoboost V6 will crap out on you around 140K miles. The Ford mechanics told me to sell it when it was at about 125k, because they told me I would have major problems around 140k to 150k miles, and I ignored them. Then, around 145k miles, both turbos started leaking, and had to replace them and both manifolds. Only the dealer would touch it. No local shops. Then each catalytic converter went out within about 6 months of each other. Then both differentials were leaking (mine was 4wd). In the last year I owned it, I spent just under $10K in repairs, and the transmission was starting to act up in a way that shutter guard was not going to fix (another ongoing problem since about 125k miles). Great truck until about 140k. Trust the Ford mechanics that I didn't. Get a V8, or get out of it before 140k.
this^^

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

I have experienced transmission issues in the GMs, but the newer models with the 10 speed transmissions have cracked the code.

I understand personal opinions/choices, but I would never purchase/drive an F-150, especially the V-6s. The alleged boost in gas mileage you get is potentially offset with driving style, and is certainly offset if you ever tow/haul anything. They've got it torqued up to the point that you don't feel the weakness of the V-6 on takeoff, but you sure feel it bog down if you're working the engine at all. The bed damages too easily due to the aluminum construction. If the goal is to just tool around town in it, I guess it's probably alright, but if you want to do rugged things, like most truck owners want to do with their trucks, Ford does not check the box for me.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
F150 w/ 5.4L was best truck I've ever owned. Purchased w/ 70,000 traded in w/ 311,000 Only thing I did was replaced coils on each cylinder several times and a right rear axle (split type axle) and that's it other than every recommended maintenance items. I towed a car hauler and a cargo trailer with it a lots of its life too w/ no issues other than it ate brake shoes once a year until I put a set of"lifetime" shoes on it and that cured that issue
The F-150 with the triton 8 cylinder engine was a solid truck. Best in class at that time.

3407Dewey

Jun 4, 2014
Uh, this is America, only poors drive cars that long.
I’m still rolling in the 2007 Tundra
Same thing I drive. 242,000 miles. Probably need to change the u-joints and transmission mount soon. Otherwise, it will probably go another 200,000 miles.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
I know you specifically mentioned the F150, but have you looked at the Titan? I had a 2010 that I drove for 10 years (275K miles) before I upgraded to a 2020. Only thing I ever had to do to the 2010 was routine maintenance (oil changes, brakes, tires, etc) and replaced the clock spring (steering wheel electronics) at around 125K miles.

Longest lasting, most dependable vehicle I’ve ever owned.

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
I've got a 2019 3.3L non-eco V6 F150 that has been pretty solid so far. Bought it as demo in Feb 2020. Only has 35K miles on it (2K on it when I bought it). Two issues since I bought it: passenger door hinges were loose from the factory, dealer snugged them and haven't had an issue since; windshield washer fluid reservoir developed a leak and was replaced under warranty.

It has plenty of power for what I do but it's really only a grocery hauler. Engine probably not tourquey enough to pull anything of substance.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login