OT: Fallingwater (Frank Llyod Wright) house

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Anyone ever done the tour at Fallingwater and stayed in the Laurel Highlands area? We are considering that instead of Pittsburgh for the one night.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Anyone ever done the tour at Fallingwater and stayed in the Laurel Highlands area? We are considering that instead of Pittsburgh for the one night.

I've done the tour at Fallingwater, and I thought it was very cool. I don't really get too deep into architecture, but the house and the area that it's in was really interesting to me.

The house is very unique, and it has a natural creek flowing through it and underneath it. It's set in the middle of the woods. Very interesting to see and explore.

That's just me though. Other people may have different opinions.

My advice is this: if you think y'all will enjoy it, then go do the tour. Most likely, Fallingwater will greatly exceed your expectations.

Concerning places to stay, the area is fairly rural. Your best bet is probably to find a good Airbnb property and stay there.

LandArchDawg

Sep 14, 2003
The Fallingwater tour is great. While you are there, be sure to check out Kentuck Knob, another Wright house that is nearby.

As dog12 mentioned, the location is *very* rural. Ohiopyle State Park has camping cottages and yurts if you are striking out with Airbnb.

Last edited:

Digging dog

Aug 22, 2012
It’s been a lifetime bucket list. Big part of how I ended up at State from Arkansas. Started major in architecture (86). Infatuated with FLW since high school. Changed majors to landscape architecture though.

I have done the studio & homes tour in Oak Park, IL. (Chicago suburb) which is very good if you like these things.

FISHDAWG

Dec 27, 2009
There are questions about FL Wright and Fallingwater on the NCARB registration test ... the governing association wanted their architects to be familiar with this place

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Parents dragged me to FW when I was 12 years old. Most boring day ever.

I'd love to go back.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login