OT: Filing income tax for teens?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Any of you had to do it for you kids and how did you do it? I need to do for my two.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
If they meet the required threshold, congrats on having hard workers. Make them each start a TurboTax account of their own and make them do everything in the online tool, including filing. Look over their shoulder and help. Life skill.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
Any of you had to do it for you kids and how did you do it? I need to do for my two.

Probably only need to file if they had withholding to get back. You can do the fed for free at www.irs.gov Be sure to indicate that they are claimed as a dependent on another return.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
If they meet the required threshold, congrats on having hard workers. Make them each start a TurboTax account of their own and make them do everything in the online tool, including filing. Look over their shoulder and help. Life skill.

Both made over 3000.00. I figure they are both in zero tax bracket. I have a few days to think about it. I am thinking about using IRS member. I use Turbo myself but it's not free. It might be for them. I will pay it for them so they can get a return. Just trying to figure out the best rout for them.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
17 that. Send em' to the library to get those paper forms like we filled out as teens. And have them telefile.

View attachment 24226

MadReb

Oct 3, 2013
If they made less than $12,500, they are not required to file a tax return. However, if they had money withheld, they should file a return to get back that money. When they complete a W4 form if they know they won't make at last $12,500 they can have no money withheld.

Muttley

Aug 22, 2012
Both made over 3000.00. I figure they are both in zero tax bracket. I have a few days to think about it. I am thinking about using IRS member. I use Turbo myself but it's not free. It might be for them. I will pay it for them so they can get a return. Just trying to figure out the best rout for them.

I'm pretty sure if you use the 1040 ez with turbo it's free and easy.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Probably only need to file if they had withholding to get back. You can do the fed for free at www.irs.gov Be sure to indicate that they are claimed as a dependent on another return.

The withholding is the main thing with most teens. I’m a CPA and very rarely do we see teens that end up owing taxes. Most that file a return are just getting back whatever federal and state taxes are held out of their paycheck. In some cases it may not even be worth fooling with if they only stand to get back a few dollars.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
The withholding is the main thing with most teens. I’m a CPA and very rarely do we see teens that end up owing taxes. Most that file a return are just getting back whatever federal and state taxes are held out of their paycheck. In some cases it may not even be worth fooling with if they only stand to get back a few dollars.

Thanks! I am going to look at the W2's and see if they paid in.

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
When I was a kid I had to pay taxes on investments and property my dad had put in my name. Still waiting on my refund...

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
When I was a kid I had to pay taxes on investments and property my dad had put in my name. Still waiting on my refund...

My dad told me to hope in one hand, **** in the other & see which one filled up- so yeah, basically the same.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017

Dude, you're definitely the right kind of Dad.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
One of my brothers got a big college fund gift from an uncle when he was maybe two years old, and had to file a tax return. I can still remember watching him scrawl his name on the form, it was kinda funny.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login