OT: finding Barq’s Root Beer in 12 oz glass bottles in the metro Jackson area

LocalBeachBum

Dec 8, 2021
Does anyone know where to find cases of Barq’s root beer in 12 oz glass bottles in the metro Jackson area.

anyleads are appreciated.

no: Cracker Barrel or Fresh Market do not sell them in glass bottles

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Does anyone know where to find cases of Barq’s root beer in 12 oz glass bottles in the metro Jackson area.

I think Walmart and Sam's Club carries them.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Last edited:
Reactions: LocalBeachBum

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Why do they use anything other than glass ? It is far superior and easily recyclable
Glass bottles are not only recyclable, they're reusable. All drinks used to be in glass bottles, worth 2 cents each when you took them to the store. Environmentally and in other ways, they're much superior.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Starville quit taking glass recycling several years ago, said there was no market for it. I don't think they have any recycling anymore other than a place you can go drop certain things off

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Starville quit taking glass recycling several years ago, said there was no market for it. I don't think they have any recycling anymore other than a place you can go drop certain things off
Same in Ridgeland. No glass recycling.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Are there still Ward’s around south Mississippi? A greasy Ward’s burger and a Ward’s root beer in a frozen mug was a great hangover cure in my younger wilder days.

Reactions: was21 and 3407Dewey

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022
I always buy glass bottle sodas for the family gatherings at thanksgiving and Christmas. It’s been tough finding anything other than Coke and Barq’s since Covid.

I finally found some Dr. Pepper and Sprite in Meadville, but I used to easily find those, Diet Coke, Mtn Dew, Welch’s grape, etc.

Reactions: Dawgg

615 Guy

Jun 6, 2018
Why do they use anything other than glass ? It is far superior and easily recyclable
As someone that drinks glass bottled water I fully agree that anything in a glass bottle tastes better, however, even though it may be easily recyclable, I think less than 1/3 of the glass in this country is actually recycled, mostly due to commingling glass, plastic and paper recycling I believe.

msu

Aug 22, 2012
Following, as I too would love to get my mitts on some Barq's in the glass bottle.

Relatedly, if you ever shop at Costcos, I bought these a few weeks ago on a lark and they are really good. Not as much bite as Barq's, which is my all time favorite.

I "believe" this is a Wisconsin root beer. My local brunch place has it on tap. So I grab a porter, the kids grab a Sprechers.

Reactions: dorndawg

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021

Hell, I just want some Diet Barq's occasionally.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I know folks that have argued with me saying I'm full of crap for saying that Barq's in a bottle is better than the cans or fountain drinks . . . that is, until they actually try one.
FYI - The formulas for all of these vary slightly based on how the drink is delivered.

Reactions: dawgman42

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I'm not a root beer fan but I remember when I was but a wee burner phone getting a Mello Yello in the green glass bottle at the country store near where my grandad lived. Those just hit different. Could also get Luvel ice cream there. The ice cream sandwich with the vanilla wafer. Now my grandad is gone, the store is closed, and Luvel sold out. I guess a sign you're getting older when all the stuff you loved as a kid starts disappearing.

Reactions: tyroid

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
If you don’t have any luck anywhere else, you might try the Hispanic grocery store on Old Canton right there at the end of County Line. It’s called Valdez Market, I believe. They also have a great selection of marinated meats and good chicharrones.

Reactions: LocalBeachBum

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
If you’ve spent any time in Texas, you know the Mexican cokes in the glass bottles hit different (and use sugar instead of corn syrup) and that a cold Topo Chico in a glass bottle on a hot day is about as good as it gets.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
Fresh Market, Kroger and Sullivan's in Madison co. all sell Virgil's root beer which is better than Barq's IMO. Virgil's Black Cherry Soda is the bomb too.

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
Fresh Market, Kroger and Sullivan's in Madison co. all sell Virgil's root beer which is better than Barq's IMO. Virgil's Black Cherry Soda is the bomb too.
Noted. Barq’s is my go-to as far as root beer as well. I drink Barq’s and IBC and that’s about it. Don’t care for A&W and Abita is a little too sweet. Might head up to Sullivan’s in a bit and grab some Virgil’s. Thanks.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I know I probably had more taste buds then because I had not started smoking, but I loved the taste of a cold root beer when I was a kid.

There was a dairy bar that used a different brand of premix ice cream from the other milkshake shops in Amory. Nobody else could come close to it. I stop there when I go back home to visit and I they make the same tasty ice cream. I'm not sure if it made it through the tornado this last March or not.

3407Dewey

Jun 4, 2014
Speaking of root beer does anyone remember the old Dog n Suds burger chain ? They had a great Frosty brand root beer in a giant mug out of the freezer. I could barely pick it up back then.
My first memories of going out to eat was at the Dog n Suds in Vicksburg circa 1975 or 76. I was 3 or 4 years old.

Reactions: MSUDOG24 and was21

LocalBeachBum

Dec 8, 2021
Looks like Trace Grill has the market cornered, the cooler behind the cashier is slap full of bottled Barqs.
Fat Tuesday’s stocks some for sale there too. I’ll have to see if I can sweet talk the guy at Trace Grill into letting a few six packs go

Reactions: Fritz!

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Same here. They quit recycling glass because it posed a danger to the workers who picked it up and sorted things at the recycling center. But there is a drop off location. Maybe what they collect goes directly to a glass factory somewhere.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Part of the emasculation plan to use plastic instead. Raises estrogen in men. Probably explains how we’ve allowed the effeminate script &tate on our football helmets. The Sonny Fisher’s and Jackie Sherrill’s would have never allowed this to happen ha.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
Looks like Trace Grill has the market cornered, the cooler behind the cashier is slap full of bottled Barqs.
Beach bum might as well pick him up a few orders of meat loaf and red beans and rice while he’s down there. I love that place.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Part of the emasculation plan to use plastic instead. Raises estrogen in men. Probably explains how we’ve allowed the effeminate script &tate on our football helmets. The Sonny Fisher’s and Jackie Sherrill’s would have never allowed this to happen ha.
Bold strategy for a dude that works as a hairdresser to call out the amount of emasculation, estrogen, and effeminacy in men on this board. Good luck homie.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login