OT: Fire Pit

bullymcbullerson

Jul 5, 2013
Anyone know if there's anywhere in MS that fabricates or sells a decent fire pit or fire ring? I don't want to buy another one made of thin sheet metal that will only last a couple years. I've seen some decent ones at Buccee's recently that are made by Old Country out of Laredo, TX. These seems like a good price for what you get, but shipping may make it not so great of a deal.

http://www.bbquepits.com/outdoor_fire_pits.htm

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
Go ahead and pay to get one built in the yard. Well worth the money

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Find an old tractor front wheel rim and get someone to drill some holes in the bottom to make it breathe.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Concur. I have had 2 steel turds and a stone fire pit in the past. The lack of smoke from the solo stove is amazing. It's essential where I live now since we only have pine to burn.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
Go to a local welding fab shop and have them build you a bad *** one. We have a guy here in Sebastopol that built a flag for the Hodge twins. He builds some amazing firepits

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Mossy Oak in West Point used to carry some nice big heavy fire pits. I haven’t been in a while so I don’t know if they still have them.

bullymcbullerson

Jul 5, 2013
Solo stove works for me

I saw one of the Solo fire pits for the first time the other day, and it seemed pretty nice. Definitely didn't smell like smoke after sitting around it for a while. I'd like something a little bit bigger though. I've already got a bunch of bigger logs that I'd rather not have to make smaller.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I have a solo stove as well I got for my 40th birthday. It puts out very little smoke once it gets started.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Thanks I looked this up and think one of these will be perfect when I hopefully start reworking my backyard.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
I have a solo stove as well I got for my 40th birthday. It puts out very little smoke once it gets started.

Agreed. My only complaint about it is the size. The mid sized one has a hard cap on 16” logs. Many places where you get firewood cut it longer than that, although the bundles at Lowes work just fine.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

Agreed. My only complaint about it is the size. The mid sized one has a hard cap on 16” logs. Many places where you get firewood cut it longer than that, although the bundles at Lowes work just fine.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
Look up Joey Cessna from Vicksburg on facebook and have him build you one. He is a huge state fan and had a daughter that recently graduated that was in the Famous Maroon Band. My wife got him to build me one a few years ago for my Christmas present. Great guy that does great work.
View attachment 23055View attachment 23056

gwadSIG

Aug 30, 2017
The Co-op on 61N in Vicksburg sells some that are well built and appear that they will last. They've sold a ton of them this fall.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
The breeo looks awesome, but its expensive. If you go 19" and stainless (You don't want corten steel on a deck or patio, it will get rust everywhere) the breeo is currently $449 vs $224 for the solo stove bonfire. I would love to have the breeo 24" with sear plate, but that sucker is $850.

Now if you want to see something really cool, check out the Burch Barrel. They have one in my local hardware store. It's extremely badass. But over $1k

View attachment 23062

View attachment 23063

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
The breeo looks awesome, but its expensive. If you go 19" and stainless (You don't want corten steel on a deck or patio, it will get rust everywhere) the breeo is currently $449 vs $224 for the solo stove bonfire. I would love to have the breeo 24" with sear plate, but that sucker is $850.

Now if you want to see something really cool, check out the Burch Barrel. They have one in my local hardware store. It's extremely badass. But over $1k

View attachment 23062

View attachment 23063

I agree this looks cool but what does it do that my Weber kettle can't?

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
It is much better at compensating for a small penis.***

I guess to answer your question is the true utility as both a cooker and fire pit. Never been to anyone's house and gathered around the Weber with some logs in it for a few hours on a cool night. As far as cooking, I do love one thing... You can lock the food grate into the lid and crank it up to tend to the fire and then lower back down. That's pretty handy.

View attachment 23064

Pretty good review here.

https://amazingribs.com/ratings-reviews/grills-burch-barrel/

I think it would be a fun experience, especially if you are camping at one site for several days or more. My biggest problem is the lack of hardwood firewood. I have no interest in cooking over lodgepole pine and it seems like it kills the utility to throw charcoal on for cooking and then add firewood to use it as a fire pit. If you can have the ole fire pit going and then just cook on it for a little while then switch back to using it as a fire pit, that would be fun. At the end of the day, its just hard to justify the price point, but I would love to come check it out when Fishwater invites me to the estate.

Last edited:

bulldogbaja

Dec 18, 2007
What’s wrong with you, just use a good old fashioned hollowed-out WW1 artillery shell stacked on top of combine wheels like everyone else**

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
guess to answer your question is the true utility as both a cooker and fire pit. Never been to anyone's house and gathered around the Weber with some logs in it for a few hours on a cool night. As far as cooking, I do love one thing... You can lock the food grate into the lid and crank it up to tend to the fire and then lower back down. That's pretty handy.

You've clearly never spent much time in Lamar County, my friend.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login