OT: Floor Mats

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I need to get some floor liners for my truck pretty soon before winter hits in full force. I have always hated the feel of vinyl or rubber under my feet while driving. Specifically I hated those old husky liners from the 90's. They were slicker than snot on a doorknob. I always bought a great product called Nifty Catch All floor mats. They were custom molded plastic on the bottom and covered a synthetic carpet. You could hose them off just like rubber/plastic mats. Loved em, but apparently I was the only one as they are no longer made from what I can tell.

So what does the pack recommend. Right now I am down to the Weathertech "laser measured" liners and the Husky X-act contour liners.

Any experience with either? Any other brands I should look at? Less about mud, just snow packed boots getting in and out of the truck for the next 6 months.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Love the Weathertech ones for my sedan that I got last Christmas. I'd never had them before, but they are rugged, fit like a glove, and I've only had to test one small spill with them, which worked out well.

Aug 28, 2018
We have Weathertech in my wife's SUV. I have Husky in mine. Both are quality IMO. The Husky liners were on sale when I was shopping so I went with them.

No complaints on either. They clean easily (kids' juice/milk and other crummy kid stuff).

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I opened this thread hoping you had come over to the BJJ dark side. Rolled a few weeks ago with a black belt who just moved here from Boise, but I forgot to ask him about gym recs for kids

Dawg1979

Jun 23, 2015
there are WeatherTech, and everyone else. i've tried all the cheap ones, and nothing like when my wife got me WeatherTech for my truck for my birthday. they aren't that expensive anymore. just do it.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I opened this thread hoping you had come over to the BJJ dark side. Rolled a few weeks ago with a black belt who just moved here from Boise, but I forgot to ask him about gym recs for kids

I guess I haven't told you. We are out on Boise. Staying in McCall for the long haul. We're damn near neighbors now.*** No BJJ here. But for some reason, a big judo town. Might fit the bill just right.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
The wife has had weathertech in her last 2 4runnners. They are great. I had Husky in my last truck, now I have weathertech also.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Weathertechs are really good, and are not slick (they look like they would be). I had them in my previous daily driver for over 5 years and they looked barely used after that time. If you're Amazon Prime, I think you can get them shipped free. Ordering direct from the factory costs something like $30 shipping.

grinningmule

Jul 15, 2021
I have had both and the early versions of Husky weren't as good as the Weathertech but just put a new set of Husky WeatherBeaters in my commuter and they are a perfect fit.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Good to hear the fit is right. Apparently Husky stepped up the fit game big-time in the last few years. I spent a few minutes earlier browsing a Canadian truck forum. The rubberized mat vs thermoplastic is apparently a big deal for traction with the snow melting off the boots all winter. Weathertech just came out with a new line of rubberized mats they call the HP line. The Husky x-acts are the rubberized version.

Ended up calling both and Husky gives a military/veteran discount and WT doesn't. So in the tossup battle, I went with Husky for the discount. Going to take my savings and buy a bottle of whiskey.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

SyonaraStanz

Mar 5, 2010
Another vote for WeatherTech. You may want to see what your truck manufacturer offers. I have a GMC Sierra with GMC’s mats, and I’m pleased with them. I don’t see much difference between them and the WeatherTechs in my last truck.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Mrs Socks got jealous and made me order her a set too. Not available for her car from Husky so she's getting Weathertech. I'll update when they come in on fit and comfort under foot.

LBTdawg

May 11, 2010
Bought a set of Weathertechs earlier this year and have not been impressed.... after one summer of heat they have significant curling on the edges... I wish I had gone with the Huskies

Lakedawg

Sep 20, 2014
I’ve had both Weathertech and Husky Xact and without question the Husky Xact is the way to go. The Weathertech curls up at the edges but the Xact are thicker, softer and look better over time and haven’t curled up in a year. The new Weathertech may be better than what I had 3 years ago but if I had to buy right now, Husky is getting my money.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
The white sturgeons reading this are already shitting themselves

I feel like judo towns just haven't hit the refresh button in a while. I bet McCall gets a BJJ gym soon

chained1

Apr 4, 2014
Weather techs tend to curl and slide around...Husky liners stay put, husky all the way

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Update. A quick little review after a week of use on both brands.There are basically 4 options. Husky Weatherbeaters, Husky X-act Contour, Weathertech Floor Liner, Weathertech Floor Liner HP.

Here is the pricing for front and back on my truck.

Husky Weatherbeaters $152.95 on Sale currently
Husky X-act Contour $206.95 after 10% veterans discount $229.95 Regular price
Weathertech Floor Liner $199.95 Weathertech offers no discounts, even on Veterans Day.
Weathertech Floor Liner HP $214.95

The Weatherbeaters and traditional Weathertechs are made of thermoformed plastic and are direct competitors. Husky rolled out the X-act contours a few years ago and they are more rubberized. Weathertech HP came out this year to compete with the X-act contours and they to are rubberized.

So after reading this board and lurking some old thread on a Canadian truck board, I ordered the X-acts for my truck. I was convinced the rubberized material would be less slippery when wet than the thermoplastic and I appreciated the veterans discount from Husky. For Mrs Socks car, the X-acts and HP weren't available so I went with the traditional Weathertechs even though they were a slight premium over the Husky Weatherbeaters.

So after a week and a few days of wet, slushy snow, I can confirm the X-acts are a better product. The fit is pretty comparable out of the box, with maybe a slight edge to the weathertechs because they are a little thinner and not as bulky. But after a day or two, the softer rubber of the X-acts seemed to really hug the floor and fit ever so slightly better.

Both use the factory retention devices to keep the liners in place near the seat, but the biggest advantage between the 2 is the X-acts have the little nibs as well and the front of the mat stays perfectly in place under the pedals. It's not an issue in Mrs Sock's car because of the design of the gas pedal, but I could see in some vehicles the edge of the liner getting in the way of the gas pedal because of the movement. The Weathertech slides around about 3/4 of an inch in her car.

The Weathertechs are grippier than I expected when dry, but not nearly as much with a little snow and water. The X-acts were much less slippery with snow and water on my boots. The final biggest advantage is the depth of the ridges in the X-acts. It traps a lot more of the snow and dirt down below where your feet are actually making contact.

Nibs on the back of the Husky X-act (The Weathertech HP's and Husky Weatherbeaters have these as well)
View attachment 23057

Fit of both are good, but there are just more gaps around the weathertech. Probably has to do with the vehicle floor pan differences, but over lapping that sill is nice with the Husky X-act.

X-act 2nd row
View attachment 23058

Weathertech 2nd row
View attachment 23059

You can really see how much junk is trapped in the high ridges in the X-act. Really helpful with my underfoot. I was actually going to send the weathertech's back and get her the Weatherbeaters since they have the nibs, but she said no. The ridges would be a problem for heels. So there is that for any of you fellas that like to wear a nice pair of Jimmy Choo's from time to time.***

Weathertech fit is good, but there are a few gaps. And the ridges are very low leaving your feet in the water once the snow melts.
View attachment 23060
X-act has no gaps to speak of and those high ridges trap the water. The sucker just doesn't move either. And the rubber has better grip.
View attachment 23061

So. That's what I have. Both are way better than those old husky liners from the 20 years ago with the little diamond plate tread. I would imagine the Weathertech HP's are a much better comparison for the X-acts. The extra grip from the rubber and the nibs on the back would probably make them neck and neck with the only real advantage bing the depth of the ridges in the Husky's.

So there you go. If one of them falls to pieces in the next year or so I will be sure to share. But if I were to make a rec, I would say Husky, but both are really good.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login