OT - Food Plots

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I know this is a recurring topic, but with the lack of rain from July to the present (and not much in the forecast), what are your guys thoughts food plot wise?

My camp is near Greenwood and we usually plant mid-late October, but it ain't looking good this year. Ideally, I like to have the ground broken up, get a good rain then (hopefully in the next few days) plant right before a good rain. That's not looking good for the couple of weeks or so.

Thoughts? Latest date you'd plant? What you you considering planting?

Delta_dawg

Jul 15, 2021
I know this is a recurring topic, but with the lack of rain from July to the present (and not much in the forecast), what are your guys thoughts food plot wise?

My camp is near Greenwood and we usually plant mid-late October, but it ain't looking good this year. Ideally, I like to have the ground broken up, get a good rain then (hopefully in the next few days) plant right before a good rain. That's not looking good for the couple of weeks or so.

You can plant on into November and still get a stand it just won’t get as big as it normally does. If you can get ground to disk now and it’s powder dry I would plant and let it be there for when it does rain. You just don’t want to have enough moisture to germinate seed and then die. As long as you don’t have many turkeys that would eat it all it will be fine. I would probably consider leaving brassicas out this late in the game but that’s up to you. Wheat, oats, rye (NOT Rye grass), clover will all be fine.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008

planted five patches of Durana white clover this morning. We finally got some rain today and we'd been sitting on ready, with the plots tilled. Spread 200 lbs / acre of 0-20-20 with it. Planted two more plots with rye grass and triple 13. The clover is also for my honeybees, too, though.

Delta_dawg

Jul 15, 2021
planted five patches of Durana white clover this morning. We finally got some rain today and we'd been sitting on ready, with the plots tilled. Spread 200 lbs / acre of 0-20-20 with it. Planted two more plots with rye grass and triple 13. The clover is also for my honeybees, too, though.
Why plant rye grass?

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Why plant rye grass?
had a couple of areas that needed some erosion control, and deer will come in it too. bought enough 0-20-20 and Durana clover seed for 3 acres, and did the leftover with the rye. not worried about controlling it. it's in a recent cutover

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
It’s really dry right now and you risk seeds not germinating. I haven’t planted anything yet, but have had light, steady rain all day with some more expected tomorrow. I am going to drill some wheat, rye and oats now that we’ve gotten some rain, but probably won’t plant brassicas at this late date. If I didn’t have a drill I definitely wouldn’t be disking anything unless we get a hell of a lot more rain than we have today. The disk just dries the soil out even more. Any rain at this point is a blessing but I have ponds on my place that are completely dried up-and a couple of them are over 60 years old and they have never even gotten close to dry before. It’s pretty scary how dry it is here right now.

Delta_dawg

Jul 15, 2021
I hate rye grass especially now that it’s roundup resistant
Not just that but it doesn’t have hardly any nutritional value for the deer compared to other cereal grains. Sure it looks pretty and the deer will eat it if they have to but much better going with one of the others.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login