OT Ford CEO on Lightning truck

Baddmann

Sep 20, 2015
I love the idea of EVs. However until batttery/charging technology improves there is no way I can put up with the range and charging times we currently have.
Give me 500-600 miles of range and sub 10 minute charging times and I would buy one. Solid state batteries will help with a lot of that.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I love the idea of EVs. However until batttery/charging technology improves there is no way I can put up with the range and charging times we currently have.
Give me 500-600 miles of range and sub 10 minute charging times and I would buy one. Solid state batteries will help with a lot of that.
I agree with his summation and it was a smart move to team up with Tesla.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I agree. EV is the future. When they solve issues and make them affordable you will see them really rise in sales. All we have left to do is convert gas stations to charging stations and figure out how to produce the additional needs in electricity. We already have strains on the grids, will this add to that problem?

There's just too many problems. If we are really serious about this we need to spend time and more money to research and development. We've proven we can find solutions to problems in our technology.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
I agree. Celluar is the future. When they solve issues and make them affordable you will see them really rise in sales. All we have left to do is build cell towers vs running a line to everyone's house and figure out how to handle the additional needs in bandwidth. We already pay $0.50 a minute on long distance, will this add to that problem?

There's just too many problems. If we are really serious about this we need to spend time and more money to research and development. We've proven we can find solutions to problems in our technology.
Couldn't the same thing be said about the above in 1990?

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Beating A Dead Horse GIF by 100 gecs

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
No, cellular wasn't shoved down our throats. We had no mobile phone option. We've got options in transportation. The EV push was ill-conceived. And the stated reasoning was straight up BS.
It's not about "Mobile vs landline". It's about the arguments against mobile phones in 1990 being a ubiquitous as they are today and no one having landlines would have been stronger and more plentiful. (in addition to the above add battery life, size, cost, cost per use, lack of service, etc.) Yet a mere 10 years later a majority had one, 20 years later It was a cheaper and land lines were a thing a the past

Neither are EV's...

No one is making you buy one. Just like no one is making you buy a cell phone vs a land line

Last edited:
Reactions: Hot Rock

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
Had a guy order one with extended battery. A Lariat, $88 band truck. He left Brookhaven after purchase, headed to Atlanta. He called a week later wanting to trade in for a 5.0L. His Lightning had lost 30K in value IN ONE WEEK.

Reactions: BigDawg0074

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
No one is making you buy one. Just like no one is making you buy a cell phone vs a land line
This is so 17ing stupid. “Nobody is making you buy one. They are just trying to outlaw the alternative.” That’s not a meaningful difference. EVs are fine. It’s just a huge portion of people are *** holes and can’t stand the idea of people changing to EVs if and when they make sense. Those *** holes are rushing to make sure they force people to change because that’s how they get their jollies.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
This is so 17ing stupid. “Nobody is making you buy one. They are just trying to outlaw the alternative.” That’s not a meaningful difference. EVs are fine. It’s just a huge portion of people are *** holes and can’t stand the idea of people changing to EVs if and when they make sense. Those *** holes are rushing to make sure they force people to change because that’s how they get their jollies.
Seems dramatic but admittedly I'm not paying close attention. Am I not going to have an ICE option in the near future? I'm okay with govt subsidy of new tech (capital owners in large stable markets can be resistant to positive disruptive change), but not at the detriment of a market/infrastructure adapting at a responsible and realistic pace. Is ICE truly being bullied out at a pace that's bad for the consumer? Genuine question. I don't know.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

You’re free to move out of California whenever you choose, don’t move out of California but go buy a vehicle in AZ, NV, etc, or vote for new representation that will make changes to the 2035 laws (which aren’t ever going to be enacted by that time anyway).

Otherwise, nobody is outlawing you from anything.

Last edited:

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Seems dramatic but admittedly I'm not paying close attention. Am I not going to have an ICE option in the near future? I'm okay with govt subsidy of new tech (capital owners in large stable markets can be resistant to positive disruptive change), but not at the detriment of a market/infrastructure adapting at a responsible and realistic pace. Is ICE truly being bullied out at a pace that's bad for the consumer? Genuine question. I don't know.
It’s mostly California with their 2035 laws. Could or have other states done the same? That remains to be seen. Technology will obviously change a lot between now and then but slapping a date on something isn’t always the answer and you end up backing everyone into a corner.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
You’re free to move out of California whenever you choose, or vote for new representation that will make changes to the 2035 laws (which aren’t ever going to be enacted by that time anyway).

Otherwise, nobody is outlawing you from anything.
Did CA pass a law that requires you to pay a tax if you leave the state? I know the feds were talking about doing the same if you leave the US. BTW, the government didn't raise the cost of landlines and set a goal of being cellular by a certain date. That's the big difference with EV migration. You got to hand it to Democrats for their strategy. They laid the ground work with AL Gore years ago to "force migration".

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
This is so 17ing stupid. “Nobody is making you buy one. They are just trying to outlaw the alternative.” That’s not a meaningful difference. EVs are fine. It’s just a huge portion of people are *** holes and can’t stand the idea of people changing to EVs if and when they make sense. Those *** holes are rushing to make sure they force people to change because that’s howey get their jollies.
"If and when" that's the problem. Don't run up the costs on the alternative and basically start cutting it out until the new option starts actually being a good move. So damn much stupid from our government it's ridiculous. The insane costs and terrible charging options make this **** useless for the average person. And the premise it will end and part of global warming is a joke.

patdog

May 28, 2007
BTW, the government didn't raise the cost of landlines and set a goal of being cellular by a certain date. That's the big difference with EV migration. You got to hand it to Democrats for their strategy. They laid the ground work with AL Gore years ago to "force migration".
How to ban combustion or even hybrid vehicles without explicitly banning them. Just make it impossible to realistically produce one with the upcoming regulations.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I'm right there with you... I'm only pro on the 7k jobs, we need them up here
I think it is good too. I do think they will retool it for something else eventually. EV's will not take off in the United States. We love our fossil burning cars.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Did CA pass a law that requires you to pay a tax if you leave the state? I know the feds were talking about doing the same if you leave the US. BTW, the government didn't raise the cost of landlines and set a goal of being cellular by a certain date. That's the big difference with EV migration. You got to hand it to Democrats for their strategy. They laid the ground work with AL Gore years ago to "force migration".
Also, when the cell phones came out for the public, we saw it and said, "Cool where can I get one". That's not being said with the EV's. Plus, anyone could afford a cell phone. You did not have to buy a 10,000.00 charger for their house. You could also charge it inside you gas burning car with a simple cord.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
If only there was an option that allowed for you to do most of your driving (running around town, commutes) on electric power, yet still provided a gas option for long trips, towing, or hauling...

You could plug it in at home at night and save 70+% on your overall gasoline budget, never 17 with public charging, but still go anywhere and do anything that an ICE powered vehicle could do. That'd be really cool...

But then nobody from either polarized side of this argument could get their panties in a wad.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
I think it is good too. I do think they will retool it for something else eventually. EV's will not take off in the United States. We love our fossil burning cars.
I think they will when they have the range and are affordable for families to purchase.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
If only there was an option that allowed for you to do most of your driving (running around town, commutes) on electric power, yet still provided a gas option for long trips, towing, or hauling...

You could plug it in at home at night and save 70+% on your overall gasoline budget, never 17 with public charging, but still go anywhere and do anything that an ICE powered vehicle could do. That'd be really cool...

But then nobody from either polarized side of this argument could get their panties in a wad.
It's exactly what they should be pushing. But the common sense is non-existent because of the "cause".
And let's admit it, there's no reason a self-charging car can't be created. It's straight BS that it can't be done. Especially with a hybrid.

Reactions: patdog

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007

I'll be in the market for a PHEV next time I need a new commuter. Seems like a no brainer for me and how I drive. I have a garage. Mostly in town driving. Occasional road trip. I'll take the electric power for most of my miles with still having ICE for the occasional long trip. Win win.

Still nowhere close to entertaining the thought of EV for my truck. Only reason I have it is to tow a camper. Electric ain't happening any time soon for that (I'd welcome a supplemental battery to help the MPG though). I'm sure it will one day though but I'll cross that bridge when we get there....

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Huh? You have to pay a tax to leave the area that would charge said tax? That’s absurd. Haven’t heard that suggested by even the wildest of conspiracy theorists.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Huh? You have to pay a tax to leave the area that would charge said tax? That’s absurd. Haven’t heard that suggested by even the wildest of conspiracy theorists.
It’s actually real. Kind of. CA continues to impose its wealth tax (only applies to assets > $30M) for up to 10 years after you leave in some cases. A quick Google looks like it doesn’t apply if you truly cut all ties to CA.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Oh look, an EV thread. Haven't read thru it yet, but I bet...

- someone will claim it's not ready while also saying it's the future.
- someone will claim that until EVs go 500mi and charge in 10min, it's not for them.
- someone will say 'it's just an option and it's nice to have options'.
- someone will claim it isn't an option and all the US will soon be forced into compliance just because CA passed a law recently.
- someone will point out that since the grid can't handle the power demand right now, it's a bad idea/unrealistic to set expectations for 12-17 years from now.

Time to read the thread and score my guesses.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012

That's what my Ford Energi did. About 27 miles on battery then hybrid. I used battery to back and forth to work. When I got home if I needed to run somewhere it worked in hybrid mode. I think it is the perfect vehicle for the time. Several automakers are doing the same now. Low mileage battery then hybrid. I don't want to end up stranded.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Oh look, an EV thread. Haven't read thru it yet, but I bet...

- someone will claim it's not ready while also saying it's the future.
- someone will claim that until EVs go 500mi and charge in 10min, it's not for them.
- someone will say 'it's just an option and it's nice to have options'.
- someone will claim it isn't an option and all the US will soon be forced into compliance just because CA passed a law recently.
- someone will point out that since the grid can't handle the power demand right now, it's a bad idea/unrealistic to set expectations for 12-17 years from now.

Time to read the thread and score my guesses.
You have a good memory from the previous. The main reason I posted this one was because the CEO of Ford listened. Did you read the article?

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Question about the expense of all these clean energy electric cars and solar panels. Is this stuff really this expensive or are we just seeing what happens when government subsidies start flowing without any control over what manufacturers are charging?

Maybe I’m off base, but when electric cars cost $85k and it takes 12-15 years to break even on solar panels, it sure doesn’t seem like your every day consumers are the ones benefiting from all this free money

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
"If and when" that's the problem. Don't run up the costs on the alternative and basically start cutting it out until the new option starts actually being a good move. So damn much stupid from our government it's ridiculous. The insane costs and terrible charging options make this **** useless for the average person. And the premise it will end and part of global warming is a joke.

I think they will when they have the range and are affordable for families to purchase.
I live in todays world. Until it happens then it happens. I don't know if they will ever have it. The only options now are making the batteries bigger or the cars smaller. Americans are not going to buy small cars and how much space is there to make the batteries bigger?

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Sounds like something that came off a Facebook meme

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Question about the expense of all these clean energy electric cars and solar panels. Is this stuff really this expensive or are we just seeing what happens when government subsidies start flowing without any control over what manufacturers are charging?

Maybe I’m off base, but when electric cars cost $85k and it takes 12-15 years to break even on solar panels, it sure doesn’t seem like your every day consumers are the ones benefiting from all this free money
Not sure about solar but the EV gap is closing.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Sounds like something that came off a Facebook meme
Hahaha! I have friends in CA that told me about the proposed "exit tax" a year or two ago. AB 2088 proposed to assess taxes on former CA residents for up to 10 years after they've left the state. I don't know if it passed or not. I love the knee jerk responses on here. The good Ole "conspiracy theory" worn out line.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
You have a good memory from the previous. The main reason I posted this one was because the CEO of Ford listened. Did you read the article?
Yes I did. My post was smarmy, but the article was good to see.

I forgot to mention one other thing that I figured would be in the thread, and funny enough it wasn't in the thread-
I figured someone would equate mining for battery metals with being as toxic/unsafe/environmentally destructive as making and using an ICE vehicle. Thst is consistently posted and I'm a bit sad it wasn't in this thread.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login