OT: France travel

msugrad2003

Aug 27, 2013
Taking the family (i know I’m crazy) to France for 9 days. We already have a day trip to Normandy and will tour the beaches, along with Mont St. Michel.
for those who have traveled there, what are the must see’s and do’s? We will be staying in Paris.
also plan to take 1-2 day trip to London and possibly Brussels

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Keep it simple. Stay in France.

2 days isn’t enough for London and possibly Brussels unless there is a MUST DO.

Normandy is amazing. Spent 4 days there 30 years ago this summer.

Reactions: msugrad2003

HeCannotGo

Feb 23, 2011
Taking the family (i know I’m crazy) to France for 9 days. We already have a day trip to Normandy and will tour the beaches, along with Mont St. Michel.
for those who have traveled there, what are the must see’s and do’s? We will be staying in Paris.
Spent a month in Paris last summer. You'll have a blast. Good call on the Normandy and Mont St Michel trips. Those will be fun and worthwhile. Please report back on Brussels; we considered a day trip to Brussels or Bruges but waited too long to book train tickets and the prices got away from us.

To clarify, will you have 9 days in Paris including or excluding your various side trips? If all these trips are part of the nine 9 days, then you (a) may not have enough time for Paris itself, (b) will be spending a big chunk of your time travelling back and forth, and (c) may be paying more than necessary if you're mostly just sleeping in Paris. Just a thought.

If you're at all interested in art or beautiful scenery, a day at Monet's gardens in Giverny is a great side trip. Seeing the actual water lilies and then seeing the paintings (especially at the Orangerie) is a treat. Versailles is another great day trip from Paris if you can squeeze in one more. But I'd leave at least five days for Paris itself.

The Louvre is kind of required because it's the Louvre, but we enjoyed the Orsay and Orangerie just as much. The Louvre has an online reservation system that is a must; don't try to just walk up and get in. You'll be waiting in line for hours.

The Catacombs are an interesting, off-the-wall experience. You walk deep underground and then stroll along corridors lined with huge piles of bones. Paris ran out of cemetery space a couple hundred years ago and started piling up bones there.

Luxembourg Gardens is a beautiful spot to stroll and relax (and relax your credit card) for a bit.

We enjoyed the Rodin Museum, the Victor Hugo House and Museum, and riding bikes along the Seine (cheap rentals and bike lanes are plentiful).

HWY51dog

Jul 24, 2013
I went to Normandy in 1999. It’s really overwhelming and emotional when you see the American Cemetery. Your family will definitely always remember it.

I agree, keep it simple and stay in France. Chamonix France is great if you like to hike, views of the alps are unreal and Nice France is one of my favorite places in the world.

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
I recommend going to Les Invalides (sp?) and seeing Napoleon’s sarcophagus. If you get “buried” like that, you know you did something. Also a huge military museum there.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I spent one long day in Normandy off of a cruise ship docked at Le Harve. We hired a private guide and we got to see most of the major American sites, including Brecourt Manor. If you don't have a tear or two at the American Cemetery above Omaha Beach you aren't really an American.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I've never been to Brussels, but I'd consider spending a couple nights in London during the 9 day stretch. Probably spend the rest of the time in Paris. But I also just love London. Paris has great museums and cool dining, but London is my favorite city in the world.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Go to the d’Orsay, France’s 19th century museum of art. The best place to go there is the fourth floor of the Impressionist Gallery. If you have a daughter, she will love Degas’ Ballerina.

Walk from Samartaine (the Department store) down Quai de Megissarie. Full of neat local shops and boutiques.

Spend sometime on Ille de Citie, in front of Notre Dame.

Go to the Rodin Museum. Show your kids The Thinker.

Don’t skip the Eiffel Tower. It is the scariest high place in the world.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I spent one day there, that was plenty for me. My only advice, and I'm sure you've read this, you have to get tickets to everything months in advance.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Only spent a long weekend there back in 2014 and did the typical tourist stuff. Arc de Triomphe, Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame and the Louvre. Plan on at least 2 days for the Louvre unless you're just running through. Watch out for kids shitting on the sidewalk!

ETA: Was there on a work trip in the Marseille area so most of my 'tourist' experiences were driving distance from there. If you ever base out of southern France, try the Millau Viaduct (engineering nerd heaven!), the coliseum at Nimes, castle Beaucaire, climb Mt. St. Victoire and of course Chateau D'If. If you hit the beaches without going to the Riviera, Carry-le-Roulet has some nice places where you can eat a bucket of mussels and suck down a few cold brews while watching the scenery on the topless optional beaches.

Last edited:

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Went in 2017, just me and the wife. I really enjoyed the bar built in a cave, I think near notre dame. The rest was just touristy, I suppose.

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
I have nothing to offer here, only to say that I’ve always wanted to go check out Mont St Michel since that first time I saw it on the internet. That place looks incredibly cool.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I spent one long day in Normandy off of a cruise ship docked at Le Harve. We hired a private guide and we got to see most of the major American sites, including Brecourt Manor. If you don't have a tear or two at the American Cemetery above Omaha Beach you aren't really an American.
My only other time in France was off a Rhine Cruise. Strasbourg and Colmar were incredible. As for London, I've been there five times. Since you have two days.....the absolute must dos are the Tower of London and Westminster Abbey. I'd recommend the cruise on the Thames as well. Beyond that, wander around Westminster. Walk through St. James' Park, through Horse Guards Parade and up to Trafalgar Square and back down Whitehall past Downing Street to the Palace of Westminster. I've probably had a grand total of about 10 days over 5 visits, and I still have things want to see that I haven't in London. That being said if you have three days I would absolutely sacrifice one to get out to Wiltshire. Another great side trip would be to Cambridge and Ely. You can do that entirely by train. It's a bit off the tourist track but Norwich and Norfolk are just wonderful. I can put you on to a fantastic guide there should you be interested.

Bhamdawg1725

Dec 15, 2023
We just did Paris last July. Most of the wife’s family are from Paris, well, at least her grandparents are. So she had been multiple times and knew her way around well.

All the tourist stuff was cool. Certainly a culture rich city and has become quite a melting pot, which I knew, but didn’t realize how true it was. Make sure you have tickets for the sites.

We did a 12 hour Normandy trip out of Paris and it was the best tour I’ve ever been on. But I’m obsessed with WW2 history. Found it interesting that most of the tour companies do an American tour, as well as a Canadian and UK tour… bc of the different beaches each country’s army took. Obviously, we did the American one. And honestly, one day wasn’t enough for me.

I think a Champagne tour is a must, as well. Beautiful countryside and cool to see the rural villages.

Paris Syndrome is real, though. At least for me. The highlights were certainly the tours.

After a week in Paris, we knocked out Brussels, Bruges, and Amsterdam the next week. Bruges was incredible. One of very few major cities that was hardly touched during WW2. So it’s still practically 15th century architecture throughout. Plus it’s a canal city like Amsterdam. Waffles, fries, chocolate, beer. It was great.

Amsterdam was fantastic as well. Felt so much cleaner than Paris. Also, just so Westernized (makes sense), almost like an American city that spoke Dutch. Just watch out for the cyclists.

A day in Brussels was enough, for us. We’ll go back to Bruges and Amsterdam, and probably add Ghent. But we’ll skip Brussels.

Something I didn’t think about… you’re so far north, the sun doesn’t set until 11pm ish in July. Had to wait forever for the Eiffel Tower to sparkle. And then it’s kinda strange walking through the Red Light District in Amsterdam at 11pm in daylight.

Bhamdawg1725

Dec 15, 2023
We just did Paris last July. Most of the wife’s family are from Paris, well, at least her grandparents are. So she had been multiple times and knew her way around well.

All the tourist stuff was cool. Certainly a culture rich city and has become quite a melting pot, which I knew, but didn’t realize how true it was. Make sure you have tickets for the sites.

We did a 12 hour Normandy trip out of Paris and it was the best tour I’ve ever been on. But I’m obsessed with WW2 history. Found it interesting that most of the tour companies do an American tour, as well as a Canadian and UK tour… bc of the different beaches each country’s army took. Obviously, we did the American one. And honestly, one day wasn’t enough for me.

I think a Champagne tour is a must, as well. Beautiful countryside and cool to see the rural villages.

Paris Syndrome is real, though. At least for me. The highlights were certainly the tours.

After a week in Paris, we knocked out Brussels, Bruges, and Amsterdam the next week. Bruges was incredible. One of very few major cities that was hardly touched during WW2. So it’s still practically 15th century architecture throughout. Plus it’s a canal city like Amsterdam. Waffles, fries, chocolate, beer. It was great.

Amsterdam was fantastic as well. Felt so much cleaner than Paris. Also, just so Westernized (makes sense), almost like an American city that spoke Dutch. Just watch out for the cyclists.

A day in Brussels was enough, for us. We’ll go back to Bruges and Amsterdam, and probably add Ghent. But we’ll skip Brussels.

Something I didn’t think about… you’re so far north, the sun doesn’t set until 11pm ish in July. Had to wait forever for the Eiffel Tower to sparkle. And then it’s kinda strange walking through the Red Light District in Amsterdam at 11pm in daylight.
Also, we had multiple 90* days. And the whole continent seemingly doesn’t believe in ice cold drinks… chilled drinks, sure. But the absence of ice is different. And most ACs cool to like… 75ish.

Wife told me multiple times: “you’re so American”.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
London is my favorite city in the world.
I’ve actually heard this from multiple folks. I’ve never been, but what are the key appeals? Legit curiosity here.

I’m sure it’s great all things considered. But I suppose in my head I think about the allegedly dreary UK weather, and a perception that its not as exotic compared to the US as, say, Italy / France / Greece / Spain. Then also the whole beans on toast thing makes me dry heave a little bit, too. For those reasons I’ve never had it as high on the Europe bucket list as other some places.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I’ve actually heard this from multiple folks. I’ve never been, but what are the key appeals? Legit curiosity here.

I’m sure it’s great all things considered. But I suppose in my head I think about the allegedly dreary UK weather, and a perception that its not as exotic compared to the US as, say, Italy / France / Greece / Spain. Then also the whole beans on toast thing makes me dry heave a little bit, too. For those reasons I’ve never had it as high on the Europe bucket list as other some places.
Yeah, and I mean city specifically…. Not my top vacation destination necessarily, and I’ve never been to Asia. I’m a big Irish lit guy and enjoyed Dublin too, but it’s a lot smaller. London has great history/museums, but Paris and Rome are better. I just found London interesting and enjoyable. It was easy to get around, people were nice, food was good (ate lots of Indian), plenty to do, fun pubs. The day to day just made it a nice place to walk around and do stuff in. The English language part helped with my experience. Rome felt super touristy but friendly. Paris had some of that but decent amount of rudeness too. Didn’t do a lot of exploring outside of Rome while in Italy, though. Haven’t been to Spain.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011

I am also a big London fan. To me, it is the feeling of being at the juncture of so much history & culture (esp. pop culture). Going there feels like entering your TV set…a place you’re very familiar with due to TV shows, news, etc. but that also feels like a whole different world.

As for the food, you can get anything you want (just about) in London.

ETA: From my experience, the mental weather image I have of London is sunshine. Maybe I’ve just been lucky in that regard.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Yeah, and I mean city specifically…. Not my top vacation destination necessarily, and I’ve never been to Asia. I’m a big Irish lit guy and enjoyed Dublin too, but it’s a lot smaller. London has great history/museums, but Paris and Rome are better. I just found London interesting and enjoyable. It was easy to get around, people were nice, food was good (ate lots of Indian), plenty to do, fun pubs. The day to day just made it a nice place to walk around and do stuff in. The English language part helped with my experience. Rome felt super touristy but friendly. Paris had some of that but decent amount of rudeness too. Didn’t do a lot of exploring outside of Rome while in Italy, though. Haven’t been to Spain.
Yeah, London is great. Extremely easy to get around. Great public transit. Very walkable.

I spent maybe three weeks there when I was in Southern Miss’s summer British Studies program back in ‘94.

L4 would be disappointed that I never went in the Tower but I saw it from the outside. Westminster Abbey was fabulous and we had a tour of Parliament— touring the House of Commons and House of Lords.

We also toured the Imperial War Museum and the War Rooms.

I’ve mentioned it before but I was a grad assistant at Southern Miss at the time.

In addition to the classes I had that summer, I added a research element and spent several afternoons at the Public Record Office in Kew so I could conduct research for a paper on the UK’s WW2 era Ministry of Information and be considered a FT student to get a tuition waiver.

That means I missed out on some essential sights in London. The British Museum being Number One on my list.

I did this pretty much on the cheap — folks who did the combined Austrian and British Studies programs got a discount. I think for me, it was almost two programs for the price for one?

Apropos of Bobby Ricigliano mentioning his memory of London being sunshine, we laughed when the British lecturer (Sandhurst history prof) talked to us about the heat wave in London with temperatures as high as 85 degrees.

On to other places— Dublin is excellent and I’ve likely been to most of the major tourist spots there.

I’ll go back there since I have a friend in Dublin and usually the cheapest flights and cheaper places to stay are in Ireland— but maybe not Dublin itself any longer but I’ve been meaning to explore other places in Ireland.

Spain has the best food I’ve had in Europe. I’ll go back there just to eat.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
Keep in mind that France is about the size of Texas. If you're doing Paris and only have 9 days stick to the North of France. Trying to do Paris and Marseilles is like doing Houston and Lubbock. You'll spend a lot of time traveling.

And whoever said the Eiffel Tower is scary is right. You can definitely tell the thing was built in the 19th century. It has the rickety feeling you normally can only get from a pop-up county fair roller coaster.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Yeah, London is great. Extremely easy to get around. Great public transit. Very walkable.

I spent maybe three weeks there when I was in Southern Miss’s summer British Studies program back in ‘94.

L4 would be disappointed that I never went in the Tower but I saw it from the outside. Westminster Abbey was fabulous and we had a tour of Parliament— touring the House of Commons and House of Lords.

We also toured the Imperial War Museum and the War Rooms.

I’ve mentioned it before but I was a grad assistant at Southern Miss at the time.

In addition to the classes I had that summer, I added a research element and spent several afternoons at the Public Record Office in Kew so I could conduct research for a paper on the UK’s WW2 era Ministry of Information and be considered a FT student to get a tuition waiver.

That means I missed out on some essential sights in London. The British Museum being Number One on my list.

I did this pretty much on the cheap — folks who did the combined Austrian and British Studies programs got a discount. I think for me, it was almost two programs for the price for one?

Apropos of Bobby Ricigliano mentioning his memory of London being sunshine, we laughed when the British lecturer (Sandhurst history prof) talked to us about the heat wave in London with temperatures as high as 85 degrees.

On to other places— Dublin is excellent and I’ve likely been to most of the major tourist spots there.

I’ll go back there since I have a friend in Dublin and usually the cheapest flights and cheaper places to stay are in Ireland— but maybe not Dublin itself any longer but I’ve been meaning to explore other places in Ireland.

Spain has the best food I’ve had in Europe. I’ll go back there just to eat.
There that long and didn't go to the Tower?! I've been to the Houses of Parliament, Westminster Hall is an amazing place. The history that took place there.....wow. I've never done the War Rooms, mainly because Churchill spent very little time there. I have been to the Imperial War Museum, it's fantastic. Westminster Abbey is incredible. Like you I have never been to the British Museum. That is #1 on my list for London if I ever go back.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Keep in mind that France is about the size of Texas. If you're doing Paris and only have 9 days stick to the North of France. Trying to do Paris and Marseilles is like doing Houston and Lubbock. You'll spend a lot of time traveling.

And whoever said the Eiffel Tower is scary is right. You can definitely tell the thing was built in the 19th century. It has the rickety feeling you normally can only get from a pop-up county fair roller coaster.
The Eiffel Tower was not intended to be permanent. It was built for some sort of major exposition that Paris was putting on. It was supposed to be taken down afterward.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
There that long and didn't go to the Tower?! I've been to the Houses of Parliament, Westminster Hall is an amazing place. The history that took place there.....wow. I've never done the War Rooms, mainly because Churchill sent very little time there. I have been to the Imperial War Museum, it's fantastic. Westminster Abbey is incredible. Like you I have never been to the British Museum. That is #1 on my list for London if I ever go back.
The Tower wasn’t near my top based on my schedule and school was a priority. I also had to make sure I got enough research done on site for that paper because I sure wouldn’t get it done in the US.

I spent three and a half weeks in London when including travel days — from Vienna, to Normandy and back, to Scotland and back, and to the US.

A week was spent touring Museum sites in the London area.

Another week was doing research at Kew.

Day Trip to Duxford (the Aerodrome).

Day Trip to Plymouth (HMS Victory).

We saw the Royal Tournament (military tattoo) at Earl’s Court — absolutely amazing, saw a couple plays, preseason friendlies at Highbury (the old Makita Cup), and wandered the city several times— even eating at the Cafe in the Crypt at St. Martin in the fields at Trafalgar Square.

And then there were drudgeries such as laundry days for the Normandy trip and a Scottish mini-break.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
The Tower wasn’t near my top based on my schedule and school was a priority. I also had to make sure I got enough research done on site for that paper because I sure wouldn’t get it done in the US.

I spent three and a half weeks in London when including travel days — from Vienna, to Normandy and back, to Scotland and back, and to the US.

A week was spent touring Museum sites in the London area.

Another week was doing research at Kew.

Day Trip to Duxford (the Aerodrome).

Day Trip to Plymouth (HMS Victory).

We saw the Royal Tournament (military tattoo) at Earl’s Court — absolutely amazing, saw a couple plays, preseason friendlies at Highbury (the old Makita Cup), and wandered the city several times— even eating at the Cafe in the Crypt at St. Martin in the fields at Trafalgar Square.

And then there were drudgeries such as laundry days for the Normandy trip and a Scottish mini-break.
Quite a trip. I've been to Duxford too. That's a really great museum. I love the UK. I could spend 6months there and still not see all I'd like to see.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016

I've visited a few cities in Europe. London is my favorite, with Rome and Barcelona not far behind. One of the best things about London: English is the primary language. Thus, you can read the menus in the restaurants and easily communicate with nearly every person you meet. That means you won't have to rely upon a translator app on your phone or try to talk with someone that speaks only broken English. That gets old really fast.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Quite a trip. I've been to Duxford too. That's a really great museum. I love the UK. I could spend 6months there and still not see all I'd like to see.
Definitely. So much to see that I haven’t.

BTW, I want to go back to Duxford to see the American Air Museum. It didn’t exist when I was there in ‘94.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Louvre is a must. Go up to sacre coeur during the day and stay the night to eat.
Versailles is a good one. I went into the Catacombs, which was awesome. 4.5 million people buried in there, or something like that.
Arc Di Triumph and the new Arch are also both pretty cool.
The Champselysées, is a fun road just to hang out, do some shopping, etc.
Notre Dame, if they are done with the roof. Even if, cool to see. Eiffel tower. I did the dinner up there, it was alright. Make sure you go there around 10 pm some night, all the lights flash.
Chartes has a really cool cathedral there as well.

You can take a night train to Venice, if you want.
You can take the chunnel to London if you want.

I would choose Venice over London. From Venice you could get to Florence pretty easily, Vicenza, Padova, etc.

I am sure there are thousands of things to do in France other than Paris, but I rarely got out of town while I was there.

Also, if this is your first time out of the country, just remember that all the things you think Liberals are doing in the US that is destroying the world, have already happened in Europe like 40 years ago and they are still standing and doing so well Americans love to go there for vacation.
Travelling the world really lets you see that democrats are not the devil they are made out to be.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Worse that rappelling of a fire ranger, or water tower? Need a metric that relates to redneck activity...

Boosh

Sep 14, 2017
Went to Paris last October. Enjoyed every day of it to my surprise. Get tickets to wherever you want to go now. Not sure when you are going but they are prepping for the Olympics right now and it'll get more intense the closer to Summer it gets. The other sites listed are all good. The best night view of the Eiffel Tower was the rooftop of the Montparnasse Tower.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login