OT: Freeze (not Hugh) damage

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I think the Christmas "cold snap" wiped out a bunch of plants in my yard. Any way to tell if they're dead before spring or do I just need to wait ?

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
If stems are cracked and busted open on shrubs, may as well cut them back past the cracked portions at least but they could come back from older woody parts or roots.

If leaves are falling off, that USUALLY is a good sign. If the dead/burned leaves are hanging on, that's USUALLY a bad sign.

As warm weather arrives, take your thumbnail and scratch back the bark/ brown part of the stems. If its green you are probably ok, if its dry, not green under there and snaps, its toast and needs to be cut way back past the frozen portions.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
My yard looks like a golf course. Nuked all the nuts edge, chickweed and clover.

Bad news, my Tea Olives look nuked. We’ll see. I read they can survive to 10 degrees.

Reactions: mcdawg22

WestDawg

Aug 24, 2012
I’m so glad it killed off the nutsedge in my lawn. I’ve been fighting a losing battle with it the past two years….but this last cold snap killed it dead!

L4MANDW

Feb 21, 2018
I think the Christmas "cold snap" wiped out a bunch of plants in my yard. Any way to tell if they're dead before spring or do I just need to wait ?
I killed out the clover in deer food plots! That lil’ cold snap was brutal!!

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I’m so glad it killed off the nutsedge in my lawn. I’ve been fighting a losing battle with it the past two years….but this last cold snap killed it dead!
I hope you're right but I'll believe it when I see it.

Reactions: PBRME

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Same. Local nursery said wait until spring, trim them back some about mid-March and they likely will be fine. If they don't put on new growth by end of April they may be dead. Central MS. I'm sure timing varies by latitude. I hope mine aren't dead because I'll have to take out a loan to replace everything that is currently looking dead.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

LandArchDawg

Sep 14, 2003
Wait until the average last day of frost for your USDA zone before pruning or doing anything else. For the Memphis area (Zone 7) that would be April 15th, for Jacksonville (Zone 9), March 15th. Ideally wait until latent buds start showing up and things start sprouting so you'll know what is truly dead material and limbs.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Please , please, please let it kill Crepe Myrtles. I don’t ask for much, just give me this.
Sending you T&Ps brother. Unfortunately, you cannot kill crapemyrtles. You can only sell the house, move north to a cold climate above 5000 feet in elevation to be done with them. 17 I hated those suckers.

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
My green fields looked horrible after the freeze. I thought that most of it was dead, however these last few warm days has made that wheat turn green again and actually shows just a little new growth. I think the clover is totally dead. I guess we will see if it comes back in March, but I very much doubt it. Been a long time since we saw a freeze like that one.

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
My yard looks like a golf course. Nuked all the nuts edge, chickweed and clover.

Bad news, my Tea Olives look nuked. We’ll see. I read they can survive to 10 degrees.
Same for mine,, I had tried some pre-emergent last Fall, but tons of clover was sprouting up anyway, as usual. Looks perfect now!

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Please , please, please let it kill Crepe Myrtles. I don’t ask for much, just give me this.
This is unpossible… After the nuclear holocaust the only things left will be crepe myrtles and cockroaches.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login