OT: Freezing Ground Beef

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Question: Do you guys ever freeze ground beef? If so, after how many days?

I pretty much never freeze mine and try to grill within a few days of purchasing it, but my wife immediately puts it into the freezer when it comes home from the grocery store. Drives me 17ing crazy and I feel like defrosted ground beef is a gloppy mess and never as good.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Do you buy 50-50 or something like that?
85-15 and 93-7 thaws fine for us.

If I buy 3# due to price, I'll cut into thirds to use one section and freeze the others.
I pit the 1# sections into quart freeze bags and push it flat so it freezes thin and can thaw quickly.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I buy the triple 1 lb packs of "wagyu" beef from Costco and freeze them. Already partitioned and vacuum sealed.
We buy these too but the last three pack we bought smelled funky and we threw it away.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
I freeze it if I have leftovers which is rare. I use 100% ground venison for everything but burgers b/c my wife likes her burgers out of beef. Therefore I’m usually freezing it after a day or 2 in the fridge.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I buy 85%+ lean 4-5 lbs at a time. I make (approx) 1/2 lb patties and wrap them individually in saran wrap and freeze them in 1 gal freezer bags. I try to use the meat within 6 months but I know it will keep longer if needed.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I have half a steer in my freezer with about 200 1 lb packs of ground beef. Thaw out just fine.

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
It’s fine. One thing that seems to matter to me is how you thaw meat out. If you try to do it fast in warm water it gets weird. Not just ground meat. Any meat.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Question: Do you guys ever freeze ground beef? If so, after how many days?

I pretty much never freeze mine and try to grill within a few days of purchasing it, but my wife immediately puts it into the freezer when it comes home from the grocery store. Drives me 17ing crazy and I feel like defrosted ground beef is a gloppy mess and never as good.
token black school GIF by South Park

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I buy the triple 1 lb packs of "wagyu" beef from Costco and freeze them. Already partitioned and vacuum sealed.
I've been wondering if Costco was good beef. The ground beef at Sam's has a rubbery texture so I stopped buying it. I only buy beef from local groceries now

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I've been wondering if Costco was good beef. The ground beef at Sam's has a rubbery texture so I stopped buying it. I only buy beef from local groceries now
The triple 1 lb packs of the wagyu is all I ever bought there. I buy it mostly because of the packaging. I can use a pack for spaghetti or chili and easily freeze the other packs.

I can tell you from experience that ground beef usually becomes rubbery when you brown it at too high of a temp or you overhandle it. It works in burgers because you are expecting texture. Not so much in a ragu.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I think the sealing method is key. Needs to be vacuum sealed. If its the shítty styrofoam tray with the clear plastic, that’s no bueno for the freezer. Same with Ziplock bag.

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I came home from Wyoming in October of 22 with 150 plus pounds of elk burger in 1.5 pound packs. We have put a huge dent in it and still eating it about once a week. Also have lots of deer burger and a little antelope burger left in the freezer. I did recently come across a pack of beef burger in the freezer and it still looks good even though it has been in there quite awhile. If we want burgers or hamburger steaks we use the elk. Chili, soup, spaghetti sauce, etc get any of them but elk is by far the best. All of them are healthier than beef by far. No problem with thawing the packs out. Just get it out first thing in the morning and it’s thawed by mid day. Taste and texture is excellent on all of it.

Reactions: M R DAWGS

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
The triple 1 lb packs of the wagyu is all I ever bought there. I buy it mostly because of the packaging. I can use a pack for spaghetti or chili and easily freeze the other packs.

I can tell you from experience that ground beef usually becomes rubbery when you brown it at too high of a temp or you overhandle it. It works in burgers because you are expecting texture. Not so much in a ragu.
Perhaps it is beat but I use the same method for both sams ground beef and local grocery and both have different textures. Sams is just crappy meat in my opinion.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login