OT: Gen. Grant is being promoted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I still can't grasp how his presidential library is at MSU?

Dr. John Marzalik is one of the worlds leading scholars of U.S. Grant. He taught at MSU and is now I believe retired. His civil war class was one of the best classes I ever took.

Dawgtini

Aug 13, 2007
Dr. John Marzalik is one of the worlds leading scholars of U.S. Grant. He taught at MSU and is now I believe retired. His civil war class was one of the best classes I ever took.

Ditto. Awesome class and really good prof.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

I do get a kick out of it when my friends (all MS educated) say the CW wasn't about slavery and try to romanticize it, I simply point them MS's article of secession. Most wars are "rich man" wars, but the CW may have been the ultimate rich man's war.

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
That guy doesn’t deserve a promotion, he hasn’t done anything in years.

But to be fair, the only person to scare Rebels more than Jake Mangum is General Grant.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Agreed.

I used to get a kick out of doing the same as you but now I feel more like Colonel Jessup…

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012

i had Dr. Marzalek for Civil War Era back in the day. He made us read his book on Grant. Darn good book. Great class.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Cool and all, but why now? Nothing was recently discovered that should change anyone's opinion of him or anything like that, right?
A position was created for him back when he was alive that gave him the highest rank. He was as high a rank as it got.

He lived a heckuva life and died nearly penniless. Fascinating guy to read about.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Cool and all, but why now? Nothing was recently discovered that should change anyone's opinion of him or anything like that, right?
A position was created for him back when he was alive that gave him the highest rank. He was as high a rank as it got.

He lived a heckuva life and died nearly penniless. Fascinating guy to read about.

He held the position but never the title. General of the Army is the General who controls all the armies in the field. After Vicksburg Lincoln put him in charge of all the Union Armies that were in the field. He marched with the Army of Potomac but he control them all. Up to that point each army commander could pretty much do what they wanted. This gave more of a central control. Washington held the position and the title.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

It shouldn't matter but it does in the modern society that we live in. If you don't like history the way it's written you can rewrite it

My favorite crazy idea at the time that all the "Slave Owner" history was as all the rage, Washington owned slaves, Jefferson owned slaves, and "that guy" owned slaves was the idea put forth that Abraham Lincoln was a racist.

SMH

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
I think that both viewpoints are correct. For the Confederacy, the Civil War was 100% about slavery. But I think it’s naive to say that the North was so altruistic and good-hearted that they were willing to die to end slavery. For them, it was about preserving the Union and shifting the power balance between slave states and free states. I mean, come on. You guys know that Jim Crow wasn’t just in the South, right?

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I think an interesting discussion would be what if Slavery in the US was abolished in 1787. What would the US look like now?

patdog

May 28, 2007
The South would have seceded in 1787, probably without a Civil War, and would be a separate country. Eventually, it would have been forced to abolish slavery, probably much later than the 1860s though. Economically and militarily, the South would be much weaker than it is now.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
So he gets a pass even though he was married to someone who owned them? That's a pretty far reach.

Didn't say he should get a pass, just adding perspective. Since he owned a slave he was a slave owner at one point in his life. Unlike most other slave owners he didn't turn traitor.

patdog

May 28, 2007
You're trying to judge him based on modern standards. You can't do that. He had no control over his wife's and father-in-law's business. For his day, he was pretty anti-slavery even before the war. And then there's the whole almost single handedly winning the war that abolished slavery thing. The way the North was 17ing up the war in the East, they very well could have managed to lose it if not for Grant.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I don't know if the South would have seceded if only because Eli Whitney's cotton gin had yet to be invented.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The only reason slavery was allowed in the original Constitution was so the South would sign off on the Constitution. It was very contentious and by no means a done deal that the South would stay with the northern colonies. And they wouldn't have without a lot of compromise.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
You have a very valid point. I'm just thinking that the ratification of the Bill of Rights was ultimately more crucial.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
If I remember correctly, Eli Whitney’s cotton gin invention drove him deeply into debt and he had to start making guns to get out of debt. Also Whitney hoped the cotton gin would end slavery but instead had the opposite effect.

Last edited:

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
One of my pet peeves is when people try to glorify Jefferson Davis and Robert E. Lee. I realize Lee was personally against slavery but he got hundreds of thousands of men killed in an effort to preserve slavery, an institution that was on its last legs. These two men (along with others, but these two are the most glorified), led the South in an un-winnable war to preserve slavery which would likely only lasted a couple more decades at the most. Slavery was against the economic benefit of most common southern soldiers as it drove wages down. I'm all about honoring the foot soldiers of the CSA, like my two great uncles who died at Kennesaw Mountain, but not the leaders.

Last edited:

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I’m not CW buff

I do get a kick out of it when my friends (all MS educated) say the CW wasn't about slavery and try to romanticize it, I simply point them MS's article of secession. Most wars are "rich man" wars, but the CW may have been the ultimate rich man's war.

Or history buff for any time period, but this always struck me as one of the dumbest wars. The South chose to go to war and risk a whole lot to gain very little. Idiots. Trying to set aside the whole morality issue of slavery and look at it from a strictly economic standpoint, the South could’ve just freed the slaves, paid them as little as the north paid factory workers, and built that into the price of cotton. Instead, they went to war and lost everything. What was the potential upside for the south besides keeping slaves? As much money as the southern plantation owners were rolling in, I guess they just thought they were gods and nothing they did could end poorly.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
One of my pet peeves is when people try to glorify Jefferson Davis and Robert E. Lee. I realize Lee was personally against slavery but he got hundreds of thousands of men killed in an effort to preserve slavery, an institution that was on its last legs. These two men (along with others, but these two are the most glorified), led the South in an un-winnable war to preserve slavery which would likely only lasted a couple more decades at the most. Slavery was against the economic benefit of most common southern soldiers as it drove wages down. I'm all about honoring the foot soldiers of the CSA, like my two great uncles who died at Kennesaw Mountain, but not the leaders.
The soldiers of the South were not as ambivalent about slavery as many make them out to be. There is a book called "Mr. Lee's Army" that is very good of this issue.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Or history buff for any time period, but this always struck me as one of the dumbest wars. The South chose to go to war and risk a whole lot to gain very little. Idiots. Trying to set aside the whole morality issue of slavery and look at it from a strictly economic standpoint, the South could’ve just freed the slaves, paid them as little as the north paid factory workers, and built that into the price of cotton. Instead, they went to war and lost everything. What was the potential upside for the south besides keeping slaves? As much money as the southern plantation owners were rolling in, I guess they just thought they were gods and nothing they did could end poorly.
Actually most plantation owners were NOT rolling in money. They were wealthy for sure but their wealth was tied up in land and slaves. Lots of wealth, not much cash. I found that very interesting when I discovered it. It explains a lot about why they did what they did.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
The only reason slavery was allowed in the original Constitution was so the South would sign off on the Constitution. It was very contentious and by no means a done deal that the South would stay with the northern colonies. And they wouldn't have without a lot of compromise.

Great point that was not mentioned very much when I was going to school a long time ago in MS as much as that state's right thing that was the real reason for the Civil War.

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
Great point that was not mentioned very much when I was going to school a long time ago in MS as much as that state's right thing that was the real reason for the Civil War.

Both can be true. Overall probably the main issue was indeed states rights. The main one for most (if not all) of the southern states was slavery. I think we lose sight of just how little power the Federal Government had during this time. As some people tried to give it more power to "strengthen" the Union, others fought it because they wanted to govern themselves.

Ironically it's somewhat of the same issue a lot of places today as we still fight over what should be enforced at a Federal level vs. a state level. The battles over abortion and marijuana use among those big ticket items being argued about right now. It makes for pretty good discussion on where the lines should be drawn and hundreds of years later we still struggle with the balance.

One thing I do remember reading back in college was that Lincoln was about ready to concede on the slavery thing for a period of time to keep the Union together, but then Ft. Sumter happened and it pissed Lincoln off and the rest is history.

Also remember that Lincoln getting the nomination for President was quite scandalous as well. Something about fake tickets and promising the same Cabinet position to multiple influential people. I wish I didn't forget half the stuff I read because historical sites are really interesting. Went to Williamsburg area last summer and could have spent a month there visiting all the sites.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The ONLY states' right the Civil War was about was slavery. Just read the articles of secession. It could not possibly be more clear. Please find me any mention of any other state's right in this. We were fed a line of lies in school back in the day.
In the momentous step which our State has taken of dissolving its connection with the government of which we so long formed a part, it is but just that we should declare the prominent reasons which have induced our course.
Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin.
That we do not overstate the dangers to our institution, a reference to a few facts will sufficiently prove.
The hostility to this institution commenced before the adoption of the Constitution, and was manifested in the well-known Ordinance of 1787, in regard to the Northwestern Territory.
The feeling increased, until, in 1819-20, it deprived the South of more than half the vast territory acquired from France.
The same hostility dismembered Texas and seized upon all the territory acquired from Mexico.
It has grown until it denies the right of property in slaves, and refuses protection to that right on the high seas, in the Territories, and wherever the government of the United States had jurisdiction.
It refuses the admission of new slave States into the Union, and seeks to extinguish it by confining it within its present limits, denying the power of expansion.
It tramples the original equality of the South under foot.
It has nullified the Fugitive Slave Law in almost every free State in the Union, and has utterly broken the compact which our fathers pledged their faith to maintain.
It advocates negro equality, socially and politically, and promotes insurrection and incendiarism in our midst.
It has enlisted its press, its pulpit and its schools against us, until the whole popular mind of the North is excited and inflamed with prejudice.
It has made combinations and formed associations to carry out its schemes of emancipation in the States and wherever else slavery exists.
It seeks not to elevate or to support the slave, but to destroy his present condition without providing a better.
It has invaded a State, and invested with the honors of martyrdom the wretch whose purpose was to apply flames to our dwellings, and the weapons of destruction to our lives.
It has broken every compact into which it has entered for our security.
It has given indubitable evidence of its design to ruin our agriculture, to prostrate our industrial pursuits and to destroy our social system.
It knows no relenting or hesitation in its purposes; it stops not in its march of aggression, and leaves us no room to hope for cessation or for pause.
It has recently obtained control of the Government, by the prosecution of its unhallowed schemes, and destroyed the last expectation of living together in friendship and brotherhood.
Utter subjugation awaits us in the Union, if we should consent longer to remain in it. It is not a matter of choice, but of necessity. We must either submit to degradation, and to the loss of property worth four billions of money, or we must secede from the Union framed by our fathers, to secure this as well as every other species of property. For far less cause than this, our fathers separated from the Crown of England.
Our decision is made. We follow their footsteps. We embrace the alternative of separation; and for the reasons here stated, we resolve to maintain our rights with the full consciousness of the justice of our course, and the undoubting belief of our ability to maintain it.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Actually most plantation owners were NOT rolling in money. They were wealthy for sure but their wealth was tied up in land and slaves. Lots of wealth, not much cash. I found that very interesting when I discovered it. It explains a lot about why they did what they did.

There was also a "20 Slave Law" whereas men with 20 slaves or more were exempt from military conscription. Those who would benefit the most didn't even have to fight.

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010

Many slave holders were actually small farmers who owned only a few slaves, not large plantation owners.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
The south would have still seceded when they did. The war was not about maintaining slavery. It was about the expansion of it and that is what Lincoln was stopping. Slavery as it existed and where it existed was going nowhere. There was even an amendment (which Lincoln spoke in favor of during his inaugural address) that had passed congress and was out being ratified by the states that slavery would be allowed to exist forever where it was already legal. At the time of the war, the south was paying for the overwhelming majority of the government through tariffs but only the north was benefitting from industrialization. The south was wanting to expand slavery to the new western states and territories to create a larger voting footprint in congress to keep the northern states from passing tariffs favorable for themselves. The first of these tariffs almost caused succession and a war about 20 or 30 years earlier before Old Hickory told John C. Calhoun he would personally come down to South Carolina and whip his ***.

Last edited:

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
There was also a "20 Slave Law" whereas men with 20 slaves or more were exempt from military conscription. Those who would benefit the most didn't even have to fight.

I'm pretty sure that law was a big contributor to the formation of The Free State of Jones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login