OT: General Physician

kramer_192

Sep 15, 2012
Looking for a general physician in the Brandon area. Live in East Rankin. Open to go anywhere in the metro but prefer the 042 or 047 area.
Bout to turn 40 and my old physician moved and do not like the replacement. I am your typical SPSer, overweight and like a good meal. Do have a family history of high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and diabetes (set up for success).

Who do you recommend?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
homer simpson exam GIF

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Looking for a general physician in the Brandon area. Live in East Rankin. Open to go anywhere in the metro but prefer the 042 or 047 area.
Bout to turn 40 and my old physician moved and do not like the replacement. I am your typical SPSer, overweight and like a good meal. Do have a family history of high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and diabetes (set up for success).

Who do you recommend?
I think there was another thread on this at some point recently, but Bruce Black is a GP in Madison. Good Bulldog.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Doctors are for senior citizens and pregnant women. My pop saw two docs in his life, one during the army physical before shipping off to the Korean War and the second was when he was 86 and saw a heart surgeon at St Dominic (the heart surgeon killed him, not that he had long left anyway).

That being said, Richard Russell at St D in Madison is a dawg and pretty good.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I recommend Dr. Lin in Dallas, TX. I know its a long drive, but he's about 5'1" 90 lbs and has fingers that are smaller than a cut in half q-tip. In about 5 years, you will thank me for this advice.

ETA. Don't get cute and go for a woman... You might catch her the day after a manicure and she'll slice your pooper up like Edward Scissorhands. Dr Lin is your guy.

Water Dog

Jul 6, 2023
Dr Bridges in Madison - he will call you out and keep your health top of mind

He changed my lifestyle

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
I realize it’s not in your area, but I’d recommend Tim Chen in Madison or David Green in Gluckstadt. Dr Chen is a great doctor and a bulldog as well.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Doctors are for senior citizens and pregnant women. My pop saw two docs in his life, one during the army physical before shipping off to the Korean War and the second was when he was 86 and saw a heart surgeon at St Dominic (the heart surgeon killed him, not that he had long left anyway).

That being said, Richard Russell at St D in Madison is a dawg and pretty good.
Dr Russell is a great doctor and if he doesn't think you really need to be treated for an ailment he'll basically tell you to rub some dirt on it and get back in the game. I've been going to him for years, he's a good one.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Don't mean to highjack this tread, but have any of you late 50s/early 60s year old baws gotten on testosterone replacement? I've always been an outdoor guy always on the move, but gotten way too comfortable hanging out in the house doing nothing. Last time I had my test checked (4 or so years ago), mine was higher than normal, but my energy level has really decreased in the last year.

Reactions: dorndawg

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

Who do you recommend?
My folks go see Kelly at Baptist in flowood

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
Dr Bridges in Madison - he will call you out and keep your health top of mind

He changed my lifestyle
What lifestyle changes did he recommend? Asking because I like my doctor as a person but havent been back to him for years until recently because he seems to rely on medication rather getting to the root of the problem or lifestyle changes.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Don't mean to highjack this tread, but have any of you late 50s/early 60s year old baws gotten on testosterone replacement? I've always been an outdoor guy always on the move, but gotten way too comfortable hanging out in the house doing nothing. Last time I had my test checked (4 or so years ago), mine was higher than normal, but my energy level has really decreased in the last year.
Better get on that before Frank Thomas comes by to see what your wife likes.

1688751073928.png

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008

Who do you recommend?
It would be convenient for you to check out Morris Family Medicine. Father/son GPs. They are on the south side of Highway 80 opposite Walmart technically in Pearl but actually closer to Brandon.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I was encouraged to go to an internal medicine doctor after my 55th birthday. I'm 61 now and I am glad I did. It seems examining my health and I would recommend considering it even though you're in your 40s. I feel like my overall health is monitored closer than I was at a GPs office where they have to process me through as fast as possible in order to see as many patients as possible.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Had your B12 checked ?

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
It would be convenient for you to check out Morris Family Medicine. Father/son GPs. They are on the south side of Highway 80 opposite Walmart technically in Pearl but actually closer to Brandon.
Interesting I saw Dr Morris years ago. Thought he had hung it up. Guess he got back into when he son finished med school

Last edited:

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Dr Chen does not appear to be registered on the Medicare web site. If that matters.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I was encouraged to go to an internal medicine doctor after my 55th birthday. I'm 61 now and I am glad I did. It seems examining my health and I would recommend considering it even though you're in your 40s. I feel like my overall health is monitored closer than I was at a GPs office where they have to process me through as fast as possible in order to see as many patients as possible.
There are a lot of good family practice doctors out there, but I only go to internal medicine for my primary care. Can be hard to find, but that’s what I always do

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Water Dog

Jul 6, 2023
Bridges and Chen are really good guys.
Bridges will call you a fat a$$... he put me on a salad plate size only diet and no seconds

was on the verge of cholesterol meds dropped 40lbs and don't breath hard any more putting on my boots.

He isn't worried about your feeling, he is like the uncle who spits truth

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Here in Fort Worth I took a buddy's recommendation because the doctor doesn't stick his finger up your asz unless he's convinced it's necessary. And if he does, he at least talks dirty to you beforehand too get you interested and loosened up.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Here in Fort Worth I took a buddy's recommendation because the doctor doesn't stick his finger up your asz unless he's convinced it's necessary. And if he does, he at least talks dirty to you beforehand too get you interested and loosened up.
The one time you really should be worried is if he tells you to bend over, but the first thing you feel is him putting both of his hands on your shoulders.

• Haha
Reactions: Cantdoitsal

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014

I am 48 and started TRT 7 weeks ago. I wish I had started several years ago. My T level was 270ish. I did a check up at 4 weeks and was up to around mid 600s. In this short time I've dropped 12 pounds, am recovering from my workouts, sleeping a lot better, energy level has tremendously increased from the last few years and last but dang sure not least having the best sex life (with my wife :) since we got married 23 years ago. Overall my whole attitude is just better too. That may change if we have a ****** football season after this past years baseball debacle. If you think you may need it I would advise to go get tested.

Reactions: Beretta.sixpack

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I am 48 and started TRT 7 weeks ago. I wish I had started several years ago. My T level was 270ish. I did a check up at 4 weeks and was up to around mid 600s. In this short time I've dropped 12 pounds, am recovering from my workouts, sleeping a lot better, energy level has tremendously increased from the last few years and last but dang sure not least having the best sex life (with my wife :) since we got married 23 years ago. Overall my whole attitude is just better too. That may change if we have a ****** football season after this past years baseball debacle. If you think you may need it I would advise to go get tested.
Is this something you're on for the rest of your life?

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
I asked a doc about TRT a few weeks ago. He said low T is very rare and in most cases it is depression, not low T. For the record, he is Nigerian and a VA doc.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
I asked a doc about TRT a few weeks ago. He said low T is very rare and in most cases it is depression, not low T. For the record, he is Nigerian and a VA I believe most primary physicians are going to say the sab
I asked a doc about TRT a few weeks ago. He said low T is very rare and in most cases it is depression, not low T. For the record, he is Nigerian and a VA doc.
I think most primary physicians state that or it is just the normal process of aging. Dr Chen mentioned above told me it wouldn’t help b/c your body will only use the normal amount and discard the rest on my visit last summer. I can say I sure as hell wasn’t depressed. I worked out every morning but have a sedentary work lifestyle (desk job). There’s research out there now showing how men’s testosterone is lower today than past generations due to our lifestyle.

Herbert Nenninger

Feb 9, 2019
Username checks out… or at least it used to.

Herbert Nenninger

Feb 9, 2019
My main issue with the ‘men’s health’ clinics is that they’re pretty useless for most of the day. Testosterone levels fluctuate naturally over the course of the 24 hours, and the lab is based on what the level should be in the early a.m. So levels measured after about 10 a.m. are questionable.
Also, untreated sleep apnea can mimic the symptoms of low T. And testosterone shots could actually worsen the sleep apnea; so that needs to be ruled out.
And there’s some potential increased cardiovascular risk with testosterone replacement, although that’s not precisely nailed down.
I would always go thru a primary care or Endo doc for work up and possible treatment because they don’t have a significant financial incentive to get someone on it like there is at a ‘Men’s Health’ clinic or such.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I think most primary physicians state that or it is just the normal process of aging. Dr Chen mentioned above told me it wouldn’t help b/c your body will only use the normal amount and discard the rest on my visit last summer. I can say I sure as hell wasn’t depressed. I worked out every morning but have a sedentary work lifestyle (desk job). There’s research out there now showing how men’s testosterone is lower today than past generations due to our lifestyle.
Our lifestyle means we our elders didn't talk about before. There is no way my dad or granddad would have said anything about their erections. Why else do you think the older women got so cranky?

weather reporter fail GIF

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login