OT: GenX (and earlier) college football magazine nostalgia

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
We're getting to that time of year when I fondly remember waiting for the college football magazines to hit the newsstands. Seems like the anticipation of the season was bigger then, and we didn't have 24/7 sports news coverage and cycles like today.

Always enjoyed getting Athlon's SEC, Lindy's SEC, and Street & Smith magazines, although there were others that were also quite good. Nice memories

Of course, after the season started I can remember the "Leonard's Losers" weekly free "magazine" in some of the Starkville restaurants.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Man, I wish that I saved some of mine back from the '99 - '01 era. I can still remember the quote in I think the '00 copy of Athlon that said it was time to stop talking about MSU football in terms of having a good season and start talking it being a legit program. Oops

I had one from Mario Austin's freshman year too that was pretty special

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
I remember. Unfortunately, the time it takes to get that printed form of anticipated hype out, rosters may have changed.

To me, NIL and unlimited transfers make this feel more like I’m watching grandma at the bingo table. By the time she celebrates her little prize, new cards have been passed out, and the roulette wheel spins again.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
After reading State picked to finish last with no ALL SEC players picked for the umpteenth year, I just used mine to cover the Playboy I was checking out so momma wouldn't get pissed.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
I remember buying the magazine and updating my ea ncaa roster. It was a huge blessing when I could just download someone else’s file.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

tbaydog

Feb 25, 2008
After reading State picked to finish last with no ALL SEC players picked for the umpteenth year, I just used mine to cover the Playboy I was checking out so momma wouldn't get pissed.
Was not Mike Lawrence, LB, in late Seventies Playboy All American?

Reactions: oh yeah

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
In the late 70s or early 80s, i remember reading an article in "Sport" magazine that speculated a CFB playoff was just a few years away.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login