OT: Getting old

msualohadog

Oct 25, 2014
Gents

Only thing worse than watching the game last Saturday was watching it with the shingles. These things suck. I wouldn't even wish them on an Ole Miss fan! Get the vaccine.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
My doc talked me out of it while trying to talk me into taking it. He said its 2 doses, they make you feel like hell both times you take them and it sucks for a few days after taking it.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
My doc talked me out of it while trying to talk me into taking it. He said its 2 doses, they make you feel like hell both times you take them and it sucks for a few days after taking it.
Had my first dose in conjunction with a COVID booster and had no ill effects. Getting my second dose this week. Known too many people with shingles and I'll gladly take a day or two of feeling like hell (if the second dose does that to me) over having shingles.

Dec 23, 2017
New vaccine is a double banger, two doses, 4 months apart. Both times felt really bad for several days after the shots. Also a female colleague told me she's had shingles before and it was worse than having a baby.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Damnit. I'm ususally aprehensive about vaccines but this thread is making me think. Never had the Covid Vaccine or a Flu Vaccine because I just didn't believe in them based on alternative opinions. So, can anybody tell me how bad shingles is ? Is it worse than chicken pox?

• Wow
Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Damnit. I'm ususally aprehensive about vaccines but this thread is making me think. Never had the Covid Vaccine or a Flu Vaccine because I just didn't believe in them based on alternative opinions. So, can anybody tell me how bad shingles is ? Is it worse than chicken pox?
Haven't had it, but bro-in-law had it get in his ears among other places. He wanted to put an ice pick into his head to make it feel better. I've know others but don't recall details other than it was debilitating and persistent for quite a while.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
No first hand experience, but family friend's daughter had it and she said it's the most painful thing she's ever dealt with (and she's had multiple kids and kidney stones). Her mother, who did not get the COVID vaccine, went out and got the shingle vaccine immediately when she saw what her daughter went through. Doctor tried to get her to get the COVID vaccine first (I think you can't get them at the same time) and she told the doctor that she was crazy because she can handle COVID but she wasn't sure if she could handle shingles.

I don't know that any of that's really useful, but at least those two thought it was pretty bad.

PapaDawg

Nov 19, 2014
My Mom & wife have had shingles. They were miserable for several weeks. Highly inflamed nerve endings. According to my Mom who has had all 3: Chicken pox are level 2, Kidney stones are level 10, shingles are level 15+

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
No first hand experience, but family friend's daughter had it and she said it's the most painful thing she's ever dealt with (and she's had multiple kids and kidney stones). Her mother, who did not get the COVID vaccine, went out and got the shingle vaccine immediately when she saw what her daughter went through. Doctor tried to get her to get the COVID vaccine first (I think you can't get them at the same time) and she told the doctor that she was crazy because she can handle COVID but she wasn't sure if she could handle shingles.

I don't know that any of that's really useful, but at least those two thought it was pretty bad.
If it's worse than kidney stones then damn. Those and gout are the most painful things I've ever experienced and hope I never find anything worse.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011

I had the two doses and I never felt it at all. I believe I had the one-shot version before that with the same result. The Covid shots never made me feel bad either though.

Reactions: was21

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

Put down the ivermectin and get the shots.
Yes shingles is worse than chicken pox. By all accounts I have read and heard, chicken pox is a minor annoyance compared to shingles.
A minor itch vs painful blisters.

The shingles vaccine is recommended by doctors and the only real concern is that it's expensive for some.
You won't magnetize after the shot, it won't change your DNA, but you will be 97% protected.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

MeridianDog

Sep 3, 2008
The wife and I had both vaccinations, a few months between first and second shot. Neer had a problem with either shot. I do understand some doctors are big whimps and crybabies, so maybe you have a Sissy Doc. I will say, when they gae me the plague vaccine in Basic, it hurt for a few days. The Drill Sgt made sure we hurt in other ways to lessen the pain of the shot.

Last edited:

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
Had my first dose in conjunction with a COVID booster and had no ill effects. Getting my second dose this week. Known too many people with shingles and I'll gladly take a day or two of feeling like hell (if the second dose does that to me) over having shingles.
Second one kicked my ***. Good luck.

Brew_Dawg

Jun 29, 2018
My wife got them after our son was born four months ago. Worst experience she's been through, and it was terrible trying to help her out. Breastfeeding with shingles is not something I'd wish on anyone. When she had them we consulted with a doctor for me. He said the vaccine isn't available for anyone under 50.

Jacknut

Sep 29, 2022
Yeah, i've had both the shingles shots. I didn't feel bad, but it made my arm really sore both times.

Mud84

Oct 14, 2012
My mother-in-law always used to say, “Getting old is not for sissies.” Now that I’m 71, I agree with her. On the other hand, it beats the alternative. Everybody wants to go to Heaven but nobody wants to go now.
Your Mother-in-Law sounds like she was a smart lady. My Grandfather (died at 95) always used to say "You don't want anything past 80"

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Put down the ivermectin and get the shots.
Yes shingles is worse than chicken pox. By all accounts I have read and heard, chicken pox is a minor annoyance compared to shingles.
A minor itch vs painful blisters.

The shingles vaccine is recommended by doctors and the only real concern is that it's expensive for some.
You won't magnetize after the shot, it won't change your DNA, but you will be 97% protected.
I'm from a medical family, not a doc but had the good sense to knock up the right woman (after marriage). The Covid vaccine probably saved the lives of a couple million Americans. I'm vaccinated. White Americans died from Covid at a higher rate than any other group in this country. I got Covid a year ago even with the booster. Knocked me on my butt for a few days, bad cough that codein cough syrup handled for the most part, but overall nothing especially bad. I get a flu shot annually not just to avoid the flu, but to avoid serious complications or dying of the flu if I get it. That's also why I got the Covid vaccine and booster, including the latest one on the advice of docs in my family (it covers the last variants but some of you might not need it. Check with some angry, anti-govt rando online, I mean check with your doc on this). I got the shingles vaccine because it runs in the family. Felt kind of sick the next day after the first one. After the second one I decided to enjoy several Old Fashioneds figuring I might as well enjoy the night before a day of feeling a little under the weather.

I trust modern medicine. It works really well. Shingles can be an incredibly painful affliction. Family member is in pain management and sometimes it's challenging to treat (one patient had shingles on his genitals. You don't want that). Check with your doc about getting the vaccine.

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Overnight slight fever. Dragging a little today. Slight headache. Advil cures all so far. Odd because I had no ill effects from the first one and I got it combined with my COVID booster. Maybe they fought to a draw...
I got both shingrix shots shortly after they were introduced a few years ago.

The first one was okay. The second one - taken on a Saturday - gave me enough of a lengthy fever that I didn't work the following Monday and Tuesday.

Since then, the docs advised taking meds in case of fever.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Speaking of vaccines I got the latest covid booster shot the other day and this was the first one that didn't give me any side effects other than a sore arm. Almost didn't get one this go around but my doctor thought it would be a good idea since I'm a geezer. I've never had covid fwiw.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
If you’ve had chicken pox, tha shingles is already in ya!

season 1 bltn GIF by NBC

La coocoo racha

Nov 7, 2022
The wife and I had both vaccinations, a few months between first and second shot. Neer had a problem with either shot. I do understand some doctors are big whimps and crybabies, so maybe you have a Sissy Doc. I will say, when they gae me the plague vaccine in Basic, it hurt for a few days. The Drill Sgt made sure we hurt in other ways to lessen the pain of the shot.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
This board is getting old. Can’t wait for another 19 years. Potential topics will be poli-dent, adult diapers, and orthopedic shoes.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login