OT: Golf Cart Shopping

dawgdreamin

Aug 2, 2016
In the market for a golf cart. Main purpose is riding kids around the neighborhood and occasional round of golf. Looking at 4 seater. Would appreciate any advise.

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
I have both an Icon and a Club Car. Both new. I prefer the iCON due to speed… it is fast too fast at 24/25 mph and the low end torque is too much to be smooth. But the brakes are great and it looks good (if a golf cart can). The ride is good on both. The Club Car is great just not as fast

Both are standard battery I just couldn’t spend the extra for Ion battery

Junction John

Oct 22, 2014
This is my captain obvious, surface level note, but get an electric, especially if you're mostly tooling around the neighborhood. I have a Yamaha electric, and my neighbor has a gas-powered Club Car, and they're not too much different other than I'm gliding around and the only thing you hear is my tires humming while his sounds a little like my buddy's Monte Carlo SS with glass packs in 10th grade. I'm sure your neighbors would appreciate it too.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Would appreciate any advise.

Just have the kids walk. Or have them ride bikes.
Maybe your neighborhood is so expansive you need a golf cart tonget kids from your house to other homes?...i havent come across that scenario before.

I advise you to just rent the golf cart when you play golf and figure up an easy and healthy way to get to places in your neighborhood.

Junction John

Oct 22, 2014
I can't speak for the OP, but my kids walk and ride bikes when they are going to their friends' houses, and with soccer and baseball etc, they get plenty of exercise. The golf cart is not for them, it's for me. If I'm taking them to the pool, tennis court or fishing, I do not want to lug them plus coolers, speaker, bags, poles, etc. on my bike.

Not to mention we have trails, and our 5 lb little ******** terrier loves to ride with us and sneak attack squirrels, ducks, and deer.

Golf carts are the (. )( .) bro

Last edited:

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
My kids walk and ride bikes when they are going to a friend's house, and I don't let the little ones touch my golf cart unless I'm around. But if I'm taking them to the pool or tennis court or fishing, a golf cart is the (. )( .)

Funny how there is a rush to judgement about kids not getting their exercise or biking and walking the neighborhood like we all did.

Golf carting is fun and when you supervise your kids with one it can set them up to be ahead of the game when getting their drivers permit and license. Be careful because like Jeeps they have a lot of aftermarket upgrades available 😀

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Leave it to Sixpack to tear someone apart about golf carts and kids. Unbelievable.

I agree with what Junction John said, electric is nice if you live in a neighborhood because it’s nice and quiet.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I can't speak for the OP, but my kids walk and ride bikes when they are going to their friends' houses, and with soccer and baseball etc, they get plenty of exercise. The golf cart is not for them, it's for me. If I'm taking them to the pool, tennis court or fishing, I do not want to lug them plus coolers, speaker, bags, poles, etc. on my bike.

Not to mention we have trails, and our 5 lb little ******** terrier loves to ride with us and sneak attack squirrels, ducks, and deer.

Agreed. 3/4 mile walk to pool with kids and hauling towels, sunscreen, pool toys etc is not fun. especially on the way back in a wet swimsuit. When they can all ride their bikes, that would be manageable, but I’m still not going to feel guilty about riding the golf cart then. It’s fun to ride and there are places in the neighborhood and people I see that I wouldn’t on a typical afternoon bike ride, especially if I am biking slowly enough for kids to keep up.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
I have an Icon and love it. As another poster said, it is fast so I don't let the kids drive it unless me or my wife is with them. Electric is definitely the way to go.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Everyone I know that has an Icon says the seats are too firm. Is this not true?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

When i said 'healthy', i was not saying you or the OPs kids don't get enough exercise. That hadn't crossed my mind. Walking or riding a bike is simply a healthier way to get kids to a different part of a neighborhood.

Your situation is a really valid one for a golf cart. Better to use that than a car too. It sounds like some sort of expansive planned community where traffic is relatively low and carts are common.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
If you live in Reunion, measure the height of your neighbors cart and go 1" higher. Also consider getting each kid their own. That'll show people you are serious about Reunioning.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Everyone I know that has an Icon says the seats are too firm. Is this not true?

I have a friend with an ICON and I have not noticed the seats being too firm. For the money, it looks like the best deal by far that I can see. It's not old yet, so we'll see how it holds up over time, but so far, he says no problems. Tough for me to compare as mine is not new or decked out, but neighbor has a new EZ GO and he says he likes the Icon better. Says the breaks and suspension are much better than his and that his rides rough compared to the icon and then the dashboard is better. I personally don't like the way the Icon drives. It's fast for a golf cart and once you are going, it's great, but it's a pain in the *** to get going. Goes from no power to jerking when it takes off and if you have small kids, you have to worry about them falling off the back if they aren't buckled in. It's hard to go slowly because of this also. You may be able to fix that with the software. If you can, it seems like it blows the EZ Go and club cars away, especially for the price, subject to how they hold up over time (not sure how new Icon is as a company; I don't think I'd seen one before this year and now they're everywhere, so apparently a lot of new buyers find the price with the options you get compelling.

If you can't fix how it drives when you are starting and going at slow speeds, then that might be enough for me to not want it. Supposed to be fun to drive and I don't want to feel like I have to concentrate to make sure I don't pop a wheelie every time I start going, or feel like I have to concentrate to follow behind a kid riding a bike at slow speeds.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
If money is not a limiting factor, then look at a SxS. You can keep it for years and go anywhere. I predict them to be street legal in the next few years (many surrounding states already do this). Obviously, your neighborhood rules will impact what you buy. If you only play gold a few times per year, you can just rent a cart. If you hunt, or think your kids will getting into hunting, camping, fishing, outdoors stuff, ect., a SxS is great.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
In the market for a golf cart. Main purpose is riding kids around the neighborhood and occasional round of golf. Looking at 4 seater. Would appreciate any advise.

I advise you to have your kids sprint from place to place in your neighborhood while wearing backpacks full of sand. And you can walk while carrying your bag whenever you play golf.

No charge for that advice, because I really enjoy telling people how they should live their lives.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
When i said 'healthy', i was not saying you or the OPs kids don't get enough exercise. That hadn't crossed my mind. Walking or riding a bike is simply a healthier way to get kids to a different part of a neighborhood.

Your situation is a really valid one for a golf cart. Better to use that than a car too. It sounds like some sort of expansive planned community where traffic is relatively low and carts are common.

I don't know what it's like in Iowa, but it seems like golf carts have taken off everywhere I know anybody, whether it's a planned community or not. We have a pretty large neighborhood nearby that is covered up with golf carts to the extent that it's a safety issue b/c they let idiot kids drive that do things like ride full speed down alleys and then across streets without slowing down or looking. Most of the subdivisions have carts within them and people run from one subdivision to two or three nearby ones either by trail, or by just hopping on a street they probably shouldn't be, or riding on sidewalk/Right of way.

I personally like them and think it makes an area a lot more desirable, although I wish they would put some limits on who is driving (I see what I think are probably 10 year olds driving, which is too young to me) and invest some money in some cart paths that would connect areas without having people get on roads they shouldn't. I love resort towns where you can ride your golf cart everywhere. Most places aren't suitable for that, but to me the more areas that you can accommodate them in, the better.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Huh. Pretty interesting.
They haven't taken off where I live, but we may just be behind the times on yet another trend. Shakeweights are just now taking off here**.

I would be pissed if kids were driving golf carts on roads. That's just so obviously irresponsible it really shouldn't have to be explained.
Oh well, I guess.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Huh. Pretty interesting.
They haven't taken off where I live, but we may just be behind the times on yet another trend. Shakeweights are just now taking off here**.

I would be pissed if kids were driving golf carts on roads. That's just so obviously irresponsible it really shouldn't have to be explained.
Oh well, I guess.

There are young kids that drive in our subdivisions and the subdivisions that are basically connected who seem to be reasonably responsible. I'm guessing they are 13-15. Maybe as young as 12. But those subdivisions are pretty low speed regardless and there are lots of adults out and about generally that would rat out kids being irresponsible. Not sure it's a good idea, but it's not terrible. But I do occasionally see some kids that just look too damn young. Maybe they just look young for their age and are ok driving but they look like they'd have trouble controlling the cart. I will say that I let my 8 year old drive the golf cart at the golf course and he does fine. Wouldn't let him loose on a lifted cart that goes 6 to 12 mph faster than the ones at the course, but it's possible he might be capable in two years (although I would not ever let him because (1) you can ride a bike as a 10 year old and (2) the potential liability seems way to high to risk).

The neighborhood nearby that's much bigger and not subdivisions is much more dangerous. Laid out on a grid and some of the roads are pretty heavily trafficked and while the speed limits are all probably 25mph, I'd say 35mph is not abnormal on the "thoroughfares". I don't think the problem there is with people letting say 10 year olds drive, but with 14 and 15 years olds just acting irresponsibly. Regularly here about people having to slam on the breaks so they don't hit a golf cart overloaded with kids. I suspect there will eventually be a tragedy and then they will crack down on it.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Kids without a license cannot drive it and HOA and city must also allow it in your neighborhood. Guessing you've thought of that already.

Not sure if your budget but they can cost more than a used car.

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
Yamaha Drive2 gasoline is an awesome cart. Feels like power steering and rides great….hard to find and should run around 10k dollars, nicely equipped. Top speed for the two seater is 19mph. It may be the quietest gasoline cart on the course. I have owned mine several months and love it. All of my previous carts were EZ Go electric.

HotMop

May 8, 2006

I live near the beach and bought a 6 seater Aetric from a guy out of Birmingham. I believe it is the same as an Icon as that's where my warranty was through. It's a beast and cruises easy at 25mph with 6 adults, it must be governed as it bogs down as soon as you hit 25. Price was about half of the Club Car. Negative part is that it's not stainless, my plan was to sell it at 4 years and buy another but it's been 3 years and there is almost zero rust except around some tapped screws. Think I'll keep it for a few more years.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
I advise you to have your kids sprint from place to place in your neighborhood while wearing backpacks full of sand. And you can walk while carrying your bag whenever you play golf.

No charge for that advice, because I really enjoy telling people how they should live their lives.

The kids have to be his caddy, every shot becomes a bunker shot as the kids empty a scoop of sand on top of each ball before he hits.

goodknight

Jan 27, 2011
LSV vs Golf Car

LSVs can go 20-25 per federal regulations. Golf cars regulated by industry to stay below 20. Can always swap motor controllers and tires sizes to go faster. Club Car makes a consumer line called Onward that’ll get you a lifted car that goes 19-20. Very familiar with the regulations since I work in the industry.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login