OT: Golf Club Advice

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
So I have the golf bug pretty bad right now. I have played for 20+ years and from the time I started, ball striking with my irons was a natural strength and about 10 years ago, my pro at the time absolutely fixed my driver. I have a steepish swing so we moved the ball out to the middle/outside area of my left foot and teed it up a little higher. Driver has become the most consistent part of my game ever since. One of the consequences is it has absolutely screwed up my fairway wood game. It's almost as if I have two different swings now. A driver off the tee that's kinda like way up high and let it fly and a more traditional iron swing. The ole 3 wood is in no man's land and I just never use the damn thing. So I am considering tossing it.

My current bag is:

Driver
3-Wood
4-Iron
5-Iron
6-Iron
7-Iron
8-Iron
9-Iron
PW
46 degree
51 degree
56 degree
Putter

I already have one hole in the bag and if I toss the 3W I can add 2 clubs.

What is the pack's experience with 2 and 3 hybrids? I hit the 4 iron really accurately. I hit the 3 wood like T-Total ****. So I just don't use it anymore. I can get the 4 iron out about 205 or so consistently off the tee and about 200 in the fairway. If I fade a drive, it will carry about 240ish with minimal roll out. So I really need to fill that gap of 200-240 with clubs I trust. I have never really hit hybrids on the course, but have tinkered at the store/simulator. It just feels like an extension of my iron game because of the shaft length and lie angle.

Is there a little extra juice in the hybrid vs a normal iron? If I am 200-205 with a 4 iron, does it seem feasible to get into the 215 range with a 3H and 225 ish with a 2H? I play Callaway Rogue irons from 2019. Would it be beneficial to find the same brand/model in a hybrid for consistency or are they so different in performance from irons, it doesn't really matter which brand I go with? I don't have any real good stores within 100 miles to demo, so i am going to probably try some online demo services that will ship a few demos to me for a few weeks. I appreciate any help in narrowing the search down.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Chunk the 3 wood.

I’m in a similar boat. Add a 60 degree and maybe another wedge as well depending on your yardages. Those are probably pretty big distance gaps between wedges. You’ll hit more more shots under 130 yards than over, especially if you hit the driver well. I prefer to have full shots than 3/4 shots.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
View attachment 24690
Older, 2008, but still amazing clubs. Based on what you are describing I think you might you might really like the 3.
https://www.golfalot.com/equipment-reviews/callaway-ft-i-brid-irons-review-427.aspx
Callaway FT i-brid Irons Review
Martin Hopley
By Martin Hopley
Dec 19, 2008
At first glance you may think that the Callaway FT i-brid irons are for high handicappers only.

True, they are very forgiving and easy to hit, so if you struggle with normal irons then the FT i-brid's could be the ones for you. The trajectory produced right through the set is very good and not the high ballooning shot sometimes found in this category of iron.

The feel was surprisingly good and at address they looked OK despite extra weight at the back of the head and they were extremely forgiving.

The longer irons would actually make great hybrid clubs as part of a larger set, so whilst mid or even low handicappers would not be seen dead with these at 7-PW, they would be wise to swallow their pride and have a go at some of the longer irons as they are a joy to hit.

Golfalot Rating: 5 stars

There is a used one on sale now for $59.99.
https://www.2ndswing.com/pv-2085885...k-steel-steel-uniflex-right-handed-395in.aspx

Last edited:

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
http://www.golfreview.com/product/golf-clubs/irons/callaway/ft-i-brids.html

"SAGolfLuvrShoots in the 80s
Model Reviewed: Calloway FT i-brids

My friend let me borrow these clubs for two rounds and I shot my best scores ever at two different courses. These clubs are much easier to hit and are very long for the long hitter (140-150yd pitching wedge,etc). Just take very little divot on the driving range and then do the same on the course. FUN, FUN, FUN Clubs!

Similar Products Used:

My Mizuno MP33's can't compete with the ease of use of the FT i-brids."

"tom g
Shoots in the 80s
Model Reviewed: callaway ft i-brid irons with nissen ss shafts

Let me tell you this, before I was using these clubs it was hard to get on in 2 on a par 5 with more than 500 yards in play BUT now with these clubs and my favorite driver I have been on more par 5's in 2 than ever before!!!! These clubs are easy to start with even on par 4 and better yet at par 3's, just remember to practice as some of the clubs hit further than your old clubs. On par 3's of 160-180 yds, before I used to use a 5 iron but now have to use a 7 due to the increase club facing. trust me you will feel better when you hit birdie on a long par 5."

Last edited:

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I'm actually pretty solid on my wedges. I line all of my irons up just about 2 inches forward of my left nut for consistency vs the old scoot it back in your stance as the loft increases. It really helps me out in striking, but I hit the higher lofted clubs extremely high because of it. So from my 56 hits like a 60 and on down the list.

I have a friend I play with that is always fascinated by it. We both hit our 7 iron 165 ish, but he'll hit a 9 iron 150 and mine is more like 130.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I play with a set of Cleveland Hibore hybrid irons and love them.I highly recommend them or the newer version they have out now. I go from my driver to the 4 iron hybrid. I’m currently carrying a fairway 3, a fairway 5 and a hybrid rescue 3. None of which I can hit as consistently as the hybrid 4 iron. I’m tempted to remove the temptation of the fairway woods from my bag. I can hit the rescue 3 farther than the four iron but nowhere close to as consistent. I need to get on the driving range and practice with the fairway 3 and the rescue 3 but I just don’t have any confidence in either on the course.

Junction John

Oct 22, 2014
I think you're right on in your yardage expectations. I don't play much at all anymore, but my most consistent club is still an old Hogan 3h I've been using for what has to be over 12 years now. I can hit it straight from tee or fairway, which I can't say about all my clubs. I'm probably about 230 off the tee and 215 from grass with it. I dumped my 3-iron a long time ago, and rarely have to pull the 5-wood, because I'm so much more comfortable with the 3h. Plus if I'm ever just fighting the driver and need to get one in play, this is my club.

I've never hit a 2h but now that you mention it, I really want to grab that and a 4h and go play.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
How old are you Joe? What kind of shape are you in? General info...not trying to slut shame you. You in decent shape? I'm guessing you are if you're in Idaho. From what I read, 3/4 of what you wrote, I'd drop a wedge out of the bag and pick up a 3 iron. I'd also get 2-3 lessons with a reputable pro in the area for your 3W. It's mental...find a pro that can get you over the hump. I could be wrong, but I think you're too young to be using hybrids. You said you got the bug....full steam ahead and get that handicap where you want it.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I'm an iron hitter too. I would try and find a used 2 and 3 iron instead of hybrids if you hit your irons better than 3 or 5 wood. I have an old set of pings that go 1-PW that I still use and love.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
How old are you Joe? What kind of shape are you in? General info...not trying to slut shame you. You in decent shape? I'm guessing you are if you're in Idaho. From what I read, 3/4 of what you wrote, I'd drop a wedge out of the bag and pick up a 3 iron. I'd also get 2-3 lessons with a reputable pro in the area for your 3W. It's mental...find a pro that can get you over the hump. I could be wrong, but I think you're too young to be using hybrids. You said you got the bug....full steam ahead and get that handicap where you want it.

Early 40's and I'm in shape... The kind of shape you get in when living on a bourbon and BBQ diet.**

Honestly I have had your mindset forever and I am just now changing it. No need for a hybrid, too young, strong like bull. But like I mentioned, I have 2 full golf swings. One for irons and one for my driver wich is teed up higher than normal so I can really catch it on the upswing and take spin off my drives. That driver swing just won't work in a ball in the fairway.

I moved a couple of years ago and don't have access to my old pro, but he was basically like 17 the 3 wood. You don't need it if you don't like it. He was very much a believer in doing what's comfortable for you, not what the text book says. We never got into the hybrid discussion. We were really just focusing on building consistency in my mechanics and I never really got into club selection stuff with him. Might try to find a pro down here this off-season, but our playing season is short and I don't want to start messing with my swing mid summer.

I am now seeing a lot of pros whacking hybrids and it's just an iron shot that goes a lot further. Last night I found some testing where a pro hit Callaway Rogue ST Max 3W and 3H. He carried the 3H 239 on average with 14° launch angle and the 3W carried 248 with an 11.4° launch angle. 148mph vs 155mph ball speed respectively. 3 inch less shaft, a lower center of gravity, and a much more forgiving flight on the 3H.

That's super attractive to me. I would gladly give up the 9 yards of distance for the higher ball flight and increased control, not to mention weird little quirk iI have about a fairway wood.

I have tinkered with 3 irons in the past and it's just not worth it. Too low of ball flight and my slight fade I play is not really a slight fade with a 3i. The clubs I play don't even offer a 3i, so I would have to go with a different one.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I built my current set of clubs by buying used. I knew what I wanted for the most part. I hit eBay for some but I found a used club dealer called Mr Topes Golf. Great prices on used clubs. If your wanting to try some things it’s cheaper than new and they also buy clubs so if you don’t like it you can at least recoup some of your money. Www.mrtopesgolf.com

Junction John

Oct 22, 2014
You still using persimmons too? I think it's cheating to use those new fangled metal woods.**

Kidding, but I don't think hitting a hybrid has anything to do with age. I consider it advanced technology, which is usually a good thing. And some people's swings dictate whether they prefer irons or woods or hybrids. I could never get comfortable with a 1- or 2-iron, never have. So my choices are: fight it out, get frustrated, break stuff - or, use something else that works.

Golf is hard enough as it is - no reason to be embarrassed to use whatever you can to be a little better, and keep having fun playing. OR, maybe I'm just an old guy who doesn't care what people think of my clubs, that is also quite possible lol

Charlie Varney

Apr 11, 2016
I am a senior golfer and my bag has changed over the last 3-4 years

I turn 69 in a few weeks. Play a lot of golf these days. I have a 8 handicap. This is what my bag looks like now.

All regular graphite shafts.

Driver 9.5 degree
3 wood 15 degree
3 hybrid
4 hybrid
5 hybrid
6 hybrid
3 iron....This is for low running shots needed at times when I get into some trees.
7 iron
8 iron
9 iron
PW
GW
SW
Putter

Adding the extra hybrids has worked for me. Playing the senior tees has also helped my game a great deal.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
A wise man (or maybe a woman) once said **

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
No way Jose.

Lofts have changed so much as club tech has evolved. Today's 4i is the equivalent of 70's era 2 iron or 90's era 3 iron. My first decent set of clubs was a used set of Ping Eye 2's I bought at State. That 3i had a loft of 21.5 degrees and a 38.75" shaft. My current clubs are 2019 Callaway Rogues. My 4i has a loft of 20.5 degrees and a 38.85" shaft.

When I was shopping for clubs and getting fitted, we tooled around with the rogue 3i. My standard ball flight is a slight fade. I have to work to draw it and I am not consistent with the draw. On the trackman I was consistently carrying the 4i about 190 and keeping it close to target. With the 3i, because of the lower loft (18 degrees) my fade became more pronounced. I had to compensate to much by aiming left or trying to draw, so I ended up with a less accurate shot that may have carried 195 or so, because the extra spin was eating up most of the yardage gain.

The 2 and 3 irons are basically dead for 99% of golfers. Just better tech out there.

https://www.golfwrx.com/645080/the-death-of-the-3-iron-and-what-it-means-for-your-bag-setup/

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I'm actually pretty solid on my wedges. I line all of my irons up just about 2 inches forward of my left nut for consistency vs the old scoot it back in your stance as the loft increases. It really helps me out in striking, but I hit the higher lofted clubs extremely high because of it. So from my 56 hits like a 60 and on down the list.

I have a friend I play with that is always fascinated by it. We both hit our 7 iron 165 ish, but he'll hit a 9 iron 150 and mine is more like 130.
Y’all sound exactly like me and my friend. He hits his 5 iron (I don’t have a 4) 10 yards further than me. At 6 we are about equal and 7 and below I gain 5-10 yards per club on him to the point where I hit a 9 150 and he is at 130. I compress the ball and leave dollar bill divots on my good shots and he can pure a 7 iron and you can’t tell where he hit it from on the fairway.

I think a lot of people are enamored with getting on 5’s in two and it hurts their score. The course I play has danger long left and right on 3 of the 5’s and most players in my skill level aren’t green accurate with a 3 wood. Most of the long hitters I play with can get to greens in 2 but end up in trouble because they miss the green. I am pretty accurate with my three wood so while I’m not on the green I may end up 20-30 yards short which I’m deadly from and at worse I’m carding a 5.

If you play longer courses where a 3W is imperative to getting on 3’s and 5’s, then work on getting a 3W fitted for you.

My history of 180-210 yard shots is I couldn’t hit a long iron to save my life (see compression swing), I was given 2 hybrids that gave me that ability but was a little inconsistent. When I got fitted with my new clubs P790’s, I can get the 5 up to 190 and very consistent and I’ve learned to loft my 3W to a 205 yardage. I still have the 3 hybrid in my bag and I’ve pulled it maybe 3 times and have regretted it every time.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Y’all sound exactly like me and my friend. He hits his 5 iron (I don’t have a 4) 10 yards further than me. At 6 we are about equal and 7 and below I gain 5-10 yards per club on him to the point where I hit a 9 150 and he is at 130. I compress the ball and leave dollar bill divots on my good shots and he can pure a 7 iron and you can’t tell where he hit it from on the fairway.

I think a lot of people are enamored with getting on 5’s in two and it hurts their score. The course I play has danger long left and right on 3 of the 5’s and most players in my skill level aren’t green accurate with a 3 wood. Most of the long hitters I play with can get to greens in 2 but end up in trouble because they miss the green. I am pretty accurate with my three wood so while I’m not on the green I may end up 20-30 yards short which I’m deadly from and at worse I’m carding a 5.

If you play longer courses where a 3W is imperative to getting on 3’s and 5’s, then work on getting a 3W fitted for you.

My history of 180-210 yard shots is I couldn’t hit a long iron to save my life (see compression swing), I was given 2 hybrids that gave me that ability but was a little inconsistent. When I got fitted with my new clubs P790’s, I can get the 5 up to 190 and very consistent and I’ve learned to loft my 3W to a 205 yardage. I still have the 3 hybrid in my bag and I’ve pulled it maybe 3 times and have regretted it every time.

I hear you... I used to always play from tips, but now I focus on the overall length of the 18 holes and avoid the tips, unless its necessary. Based on my driving distance 250-275, I try to find tees in the 6400-6700 yard range on a typical par 72. It gives a fair challenge, but is still fun as I am capable of scoring. One of my local courses is 7265 from the tips and 6677 from the next tees up. I have no business trying to play from those tips, that's longer than the average PGA tournament course these days.

My home course is 6562 from the tips, which is where I play, but it does have a 221 yard par 3. That's the hole and distance where I have a gap. I can tee up the 3W and swing it like the driver, but the backside of that green is OB and its not worth the risk of going long with the 3W. So, I always hit the 4i and i am always short of the green and have to try to get up and down just to save par. It's basically costing me a 1/2 stroke every round on a single hole.

As for the par 5's. I finally came to the realization if I have more than 220 yards to a green after the drive, I'm laying up anyway. At 220, I'm an 9 iron and a 56 into the flag and I'm virtually guaranteed a birdie putt with zero possibility of going OB or in whatever hazard or trap is lurking. Playing from where I do, most par 5's are over 510 yards and with a good 275 yard drive, that leaves me 235+ out and laying up is the way to score. When I was younger and dumber, I went for par 5's all the time. I may have had a handful of eagles because of it, but I also had a dumptruck load of double and triple bogeys.

I'm going to start with a 3H. The Callaway Rogue ST Max looks like a really hot, forgiving club. Based on some of the testing I have seen, people with similar swing speeds as me are carrying this club about 215-220 and are raving about the forgiveness and accuracy even if you don't hit it close to square. If I get those kind of results I will only need the one hybrid. That perfectly fills my current void.

Last edited:

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
Get a 60 lob wedge. You don't have to hit flop shots with it, unless you enjoy it. But once or twice a round when you have short sided yourself it will be money.

I would also dump the 3 wood. I used to carry one, but just for short tee shots. I almost never hit it off the deck unless it was the only way I could reach a green. Now I carry a mini driver, adjusted to 16 degrees. Its easy to hit, and has a huge date so that even my mis hits go a long way.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Not to beat-a-dead-horse, but I also struggled with hybrids. Irons were almost always better for me. But that may be mental rather than physical. Woods just make me think in the back of my mind I'm gonna be more likely to hit either too far behind the ball or too high because I over-compensated due to it not being teed up. Granted, I am also very seldom on the course, so that contributes, but still, that always seemed to be a consistent problem versus any other afflictions common to a high-handicapper. On the same day I could consistently hit a 4 or 5 iron better than a fairway wood. Traditional hybrid and fairway woods for me just feel too much like a somewhat smaller version of a 3-wood.

The thing that I noticed about the Calloway FT i-brids beyond them being very forgiving is the hybrid irons look, feel & swing much more like an iron to me. And for me, the look makes a difference. I no longer approach a shot best suited for a hybrid with that sense of dread I had when trying to force myself to use the more traditional hybrids. Mine, though hybrids, lean much closer to the look and feel of irons than other hybrids I've seen or used. I feel like I can just go up and swing away like I have with irons, yet also get the benefits inherent with a hybrid.

I don't have a 3, but here is a top view of my 4:
View attachment 24694

Last edited:

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I hear you... I used to always play from tips, but now I focus on the overall length of the 18 holes and avoid the tips, unless its necessary. Based on my driving distance 250-275, I try to find tees in the 6400-6700 yard range on a typical par 72. It gives a fair challenge, but is still fun as I am capable of scoring. One of my local courses is 7265 from the tips and 6677 from the next tees up. I have no business trying to play from those tips, that's longer than the average PGA tournament course these days.

My home course is 6562 from the tips, which is where I play, but it does have a 221 yard par 3. That's the hole and distance where I have a gap. I can tee up the 3W and swing it like the driver, but the backside of that green is OB and its not worth the risk of going long with the 3W. So, I always hit the 4i and i am always short of the green and have to try to get up and down just to save par. It's basically costing me a 1/2 stroke every round on a single hole.

As for the par 5's. I finally came to the realization if I have more than 220 yards to a green after the drive, I'm laying up anyway. At 220, I'm an 9 iron and a 56 into the flag and I'm virtually guaranteed a birdie putt with zero possibility of going OB or in whatever hazard or trap is lurking. Playing from where I do, most par 5's are over 510 yards and with a good 275 yard drive, that leaves me 235+ out and laying up is the way to score. When I was younger and dumber, I went for par 5's all the time. I may have had a handful of eagles because of it, but I also had a dumptruck load of double and triple bogeys.

I'm going to start with a 3H. The Callaway Rogue ST Max looks like a really hot, forgiving club. Based on some of the testing I have seen, people with similar swing speeds as me are carrying this club about 215-220 and are raving about the forgiveness and accuracy even if you don't hit it close to square. If I get those kind of results I will only need the one hybrid. That perfectly fills my current void.
17 you socks! 250-275?? Yeah that’s not my game. I am 240 off the tee. Honestly I need to get fitted for a driver shaft because when I went to get fitted for irons, the guy looked at me at 45 and obese and judged me, then I ripped off 5 consecutive 91 mph 7 irons an I could pick his chin off the ground. I went to a neighbor that has a GC quad and still hit 90-92 with a 7 iron but only hit 102 with a driver until I hit his project X smoke shaft and then I was swinging at 108-110.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Same problem as the 3W. Long shaft, 3" or so longer than the hybrid and I wouldn't hit any further than a 3H.

Think I am going to give it a go. If I can't figure it out in a few weeks, I'll send it back and get a pro to help me with the 3W and possibly add a 5w.

But if it works, I may look into adding a 2nd driver this off-season, something with a little lower loft and a draw bias. Still love my accuracy with the high fade in my old ping, but it would be nice to get an extra 20-30 yards, especially on a long dogleg left.

bonedaddy401

Aug 3, 2012
5 wood and a 60 Degree wedge.

5 woods are making a big come back, especially as a tee option. Easier to lay up with than a 3 wood and longer than most hybrid options.

60 degree can be a bunker game savior.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Oh you really wanna get pissed off, look at these stats from my last round. I would have tied for 38th at the John Deere Classic at 64% of fairways hit.***

View attachment 24696

Honestly, you’re swinging it as hard as I am. I'm 105-110 MPH club head speed with a driver. The key to the yardage for me is all about lowering that spin rate. One hole in my last round I caught it lower on the clubface and it spun like a turd. Stayed in the fairway, but it was only about 230. Of course it was the longest par 4 on the course and I wast 230 yards out and ended up doubling the mofo.

Way up front in the stance (nearly to my left pinkie toe) and tee it up high, like set the club head down and have half the ball above the top of the head. I can catch it on the upswing in the middle of the club face that way.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I'm going to start with the hybrid, but you may be on to something. I played some Nike Slingshots back in the late 00's and they were beasts. Can't work the ball for ****, but man they could mash. I had a 3 iron and crushed it. Gave them to a buddy and I know he still has them in the attic. They are hard to look at and you can't work the ball for ****, but not nearly as bad to look at as those i-brids.**

View attachment 24698

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
64% fairway, 39% GIR

With only 2 up and downs. You sure a 200+ yard club is gonna yield the greatest ROI? I’m guessing you usually have 130 or less to the green if hitting 260+ off the tee. To put this in your language, I feel like you are chasing meme stocks. But if you want to go that route, have at it. It’s fun to hit a golf ball a long way. Buy whatever Dustin Johnson uses, he has clearly proven chicks dig the long ball.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
With only 2 up and downs. You sure a 200+ yard club is gonna yield the greatest ROI? I’m guessing you usually have 130 or less to the green if hitting 260+ off the tee. To put this in your language, I feel like you are chasing meme stocks. But if you want to go that route, have at it. It’s fun to hit a golf ball a long way. Buy whatever Dustin Johnson uses, he has clearly proven chicks dig the long ball.
Was wondering if anyone would catch that... I actually had 4-5 balls right on the collar or just off. That's why the putts are low. Putting is absolutely the shittiest part of my game, so a few of those 2 putts are 3, but you don't count it as a putt if it's off the green.

I wish I usually had 130 or less to the green lol. I probably had 6-7 approaches in that round from inside 150ish. 1 hit the pin (lucky hop) 1 was within 8', 3-4 were within 20', and a couple were off the edge. There was a 121 yard par 3 that I landed pin high and it spun back 20' off the false front down a hill and left me a ***** of an up and down, that I didn't get

That said, I have learned to leave my misses at the green left and short on the vast majority of holes, which for a right handed player with a fade is below the hole. Outside of doglegs right, there is usually a nice safe chase up to the green between any bunkers front and left. If I am between clubs, I take the short one. My game is all about managing risk until a chance to score arises. I had two doubles in that round, one was from trying to cut it too close down the side of a fairway with my 2nd and the other was from going at a flag on the right side of the green.

This is a course up in the mountains, you go over the green by 10 yards and your ball is gone in the brush under the trees or lost forever in the 3' weeds.The greens are elevated due to the slope which is quite a bit more than most people experience, so if you hit just a few feet behind or to the right of the putting surface your ball may hit a massive slope and kick on. Missed one flag by 15' in that round, it rolled of the right side of the green, down the slope, and ob. Couldn't find the damn thing in the weeds. Front and left is usually fairway.

Now that I have pointed that out, here are my 3 biggest weaknesses.

1-putting. Especially lag puts. Need to leave myself more gimmies from 25' out.
2-hitting balls above/below my feet (a lot of slope on these fairways in the mountains and it's hard to practice this on the flat ranges.)
3- I have a 40+ yard gap from 2 clubs I have confidence in. I'm not chasing distance, if I were I'd be trying to turn my fade into a draw.

I manage the issue as best I can currently, but it's the only major flaw in my game that could potentially be solved with a piece of equipment. Of course I need to work on other things as well, but I can walk and chew Levi Garrett at the same time.

RivaDawg

Feb 26, 2008
I haven’t played in several years, but this thread is getting me interested again.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I too have had trouble with the damn 3 wood all my life. It's either working, and the driver/irons are off, or I can drive/hit irons and the 3 wood is downright embarrassing. If I'm choosing, I'm choosing the driver and irons. I'd much rather have control and keep it in the fairway than just absolutely waste shots with the 3 wood.

But somebody else in this thread said it well - it's mental with the woods and long irons/hybrids, because I'll have the same problem with my 4H and 5H.

Generally it seems like the softer I hold the 3 wood, the better. With the hybrids it's more about rotating through (essentially faking the body turn), which is easier to do. So I choose the hybrids and irons - that's your scoring clubs. Just make sure you can keep the driver in the fairway.

As far as juice, yeah, there is some. The hybrid part is supposed to help you get the distance of a wood with the swing of an iron.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
The most important six inches in golf is the six inches between your ears! The single club that improved my golf game more than any other was a chipper. I suck with high loft wedges. I never could hit anything past a PW with consistency so I tried a chipper. It looks like a putter but with a 37 degree angle on the face. You swing it like a putter rather than a full iron swing. People call it a crutch or a beginners club now if I get within 40 yards of the green I have a general idea where the balls going.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
The most important six inches in golf is the six inches between your ears! The single club that improved my golf game more than any other was a chipper. I suck with high loft wedges. I never could hit anything past a PW with consistency so I tried a chipper. It looks like a putter but with a 37 degree angle on the face. You swing it like a putter rather than a full iron swing. People call it a crutch or a beginners club now if I get within 40 yards of the green I have a general idea where the balls going.
Along those lines, there's another tip I heard that has made a big difference in my game: "If you can use your putter, use it". That eliminated my insistence to grab a lofted wedge when around the green. It's relatively easy to make this decision too.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Along those lines, there's another tip I heard that has made a big difference in my game: "If you can use your putter, use it". That eliminated my insistence to grab a lofted wedge when around the green. It's relatively easy to make this decision too.
The more I use this chipper the more I like it. Several guys I play with have bought them and are trying them. I can even hit mine out of the sand if the bunker isn’t too deep.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login