OT: Grass clippings

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012
What's your opinion on neighbors (in a residential community) who throw grass clippings on the street when mowing and leave them there? I'm asking for my wife cause apparently it bugs the crap out of her.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
There is a special pace in Hell for those people. It's right next to anyone who links a pay wall article to a message board discussion and across from those who don't return shopping carts to the cart corrals in the parking lot.

...if it's a windy day, I have been known to not drive out into the street to blow away the grass. All other times, I rake a few passes and push the grass back to my curb.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
The street is public property so she his more than welcome to go rake them up. After she gets through making you a sammich of course! Grass rakes and leaf blowers make great anniversary and birthday presents.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
What's your opinion on neighbors (in a residential community) who throw grass clippings on the street when mowing and leave them there? I'm asking for my wife cause apparently it bugs the crap out of her.
“Throw” or mow and don’t blow it back into the yard?

I mulch my grass, but also make sure I blow whatever landed elsewhere back into my lawn.

Augustus McCrae

Aug 25, 2012
On a serious note, as a motorcycle rider, grass clippings are slick as snot and scare the hell out of me.
I’m glad you brought this up. I don’t ride but I do care about safety, especially on the road. I learned recently how dangerous grass clippings can be to motorcycle riders and I had no idea. I honestly never thought about it until a friend mentioned it.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I’m glad you brought this up. I don’t ride but I do care about safety, especially on the road. I learned recently how dangerous grass clippings can be to motorcycle riders and I had no idea. I honestly never thought about it until a friend mentioned it.
I’ve heard that the biggest cause of death for motorcycle riders is motorcycles.****

To each his own, but I wouldn’t ever consider driving like that among the mouth breathers on the roads. If grass clippings are somehow a problem…. My god.

O’Doyle rules

RocketDawg1

Jul 8, 2023
I’ve heard that the biggest cause of death for motorcycle riders is motorcycles.****

To each his own, but I wouldn’t ever consider driving like that among the mouth breathers on the roads. If grass clippings are somehow a problem…. My god.

O’Doyle rules

Not as bad as raised reflectors on roads or even thermoplastic markings, especially in rainy weather. Or wet leaves.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Waah!

I Dont Care Deal With It GIF

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Way to go, You are doing your part to reduce the carbon emissions from grass clippings.**

Being concerned about cut grass in the street has got to be the dumbest waste of energy imaginable. In the fall, I blow my leaves into the cul de sac
There is a city ordinanfe/rule/law that says leaves and grass can't be blown into the street.

As for wasting energy by blowing clippings back onto the sidewalk taint, it takes like 30 seconds. Probably less, it's so brief I haven't even cared to actually analyze it.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
When I lived in the city, the lawn service blew them into the direction of the street. The dang blowers they had made them disappear. One pass with their backpack blowers and you couldn't find a blade of grass. Now I live in the country and turn my mower to blow right out in the highway. Two cars go by like a blur and they are gone.

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019

O’Doyle rules
MIL gave me deceased FIL’s bike and said if I can fix it, I can keep it. I fixed it, and really want to keep it, but today confirmed that I need to sell it. Between the mouth breathers on the road and my attitude, it’d be best. I already have a risk prone profession, no need to welcome more opportunities with a motorcycle and 2 little kids.

Reactions: eckie1

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
MIL gave me deceased FIL’s bike and said if I can fix it, I can keep it. I fixed it, and really want to keep it, but today confirmed that I need to sell it. Between the mouth breathers on the road and my attitude, it’d be best. I already have a risk prone profession, no need to welcome more opportunities with a motorcycle and 2 little kids.
Ha ha ha!

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
There is a special pace in Hell for those people. It's right next to anyone who links a pay wall article to a message board discussion and across from those who don't return shopping carts to the cart corrals in the parking lot.

...if it's a windy day, I have been known to not drive out into the street to blow away the grass. All other times, I rake a few passes and push the grass back to my curb.
It’s actually in our home and garden section right next to the coy pond people.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Your wife sounds like a keeper. But beware of the legal issues if she goes out there and kicks that neighbors arse.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022

Not to diminish any safety concerns but as a former motocross racer and street biker I've never heard nor experienced grass clipping or wet leaf problems.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
There is a city ordinanfe/rule/law that says leaves and grass can't be blown into the street.

As for wasting energy by blowing clippings back onto the sidewalk taint, it takes like 30 seconds. Probably less, it's so brief I haven't even cared to actually analyze it.
Exactly we have so little grass it doesn't matter and I use the mulching mower anyway. When I get through running the weedeater, I make sure and blow it out on the edge of the street or in my yard. Preferably in my yard where it will help slow fertilize the lawn.

skydawg1

Jul 31, 2007
"Throwing" grass clippings into the street/sidewalk is lazy and trashy. Point your mower the other way, back into your yard. "Blowing" grass clippings into the street should be a misdemeanor. Y'all laugh, but they really are a danger to cyclists. ....and motorcyclists, I guess. (moto tires 5 times wider than my road bike tires)

Reactions: Armchair QB.sixpack

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
My dog poops in my neighbor's yard. They aren't even concerned with grass clippings lol

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login