OT: Great BBQ

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
The ole Devil was making his way around South Mississippi and came across this place called Bowie’s in Brookhaven. Little small off the radar kind of place with great bbq. Some of the best sauce and bbq I have had in a long time. I would suggest it to any dawgs or anyone really in the area. Also, it got me to thinking. What are some other off the radar bbq places around Mississippi that the pack enjoys?

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I don’t know if it would be considered off the radar but Abe’s in Clarksdale

I’ve always like Coleman’s. There’s one left in Senatobia and I miss having the one in Hernando that got torn down to make way for a 17ing bank.

Reactions: bkmaroon

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
The ole Devil was making his way around South Mississippi and came across this place called Bowie’s in Brookhaven. Little small off the radar kind of place with great bbq. Some of the best sauce and bbq I have had in a long time. I would suggest it to any dawgs or anyone really in the area. Also, it got me to thinking. What are some other off the radar bbq places around Mississippi that the pack enjoys?
It’s been a long time since I’ve been so I don’t know if it still holds, but the Country Junction on 61 north of Vicksburg used to have the best ribs. I looked them up and it seems like they serve down home food now.

Mar 3, 2008
As an almost graduate of Co-Lin who also worked in Brookhaven right out of State. I had many a meant Bowies. It was always solid. Now I need some Ole Brook people to tell me the name of the sandwich shop in the little metal shed that sold that sold flattened chili dogs sliced in half for about .75 cents. Those things hit the spot!

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
There's a corrolation between good BBQ and the likelihood of being involved in a crime while acquiring it. In Jxn E&L has long been known as the best BBQ, but most folks who frequent this board likely wouldn't want to purchase it in person. For "white folks" BBQ, Kenova in Flohood is some of the best around.

Last edited:

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
There's a colocation between good BBQ and the likelyhood of being involved in a crime while acquiring it. In Jxn E&L has long been known as the best BBQ, but most folks who frequent this board likely wouldn't want to purchase it in person. For "white folks" BBQ, Kenova in Flohood is some of the best around.
I'll second Kenova. Haven't lived in MS in 18 years, but family lives off of Grant's Ferry. We tried Kenova for the first time back in 2021, and it kind of blew me away given what my low expectations were. Their brisket was really good (which many MS places struggle with), and unlike EVERY BBQ place here in Texas, they knew how to make extremely good pulled pork.

I tried to go twice more when back home visiting, and they were sold out (think 6-7PM time frame). All in all, Kenova is pretty solid.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
There's a colocation between good BBQ and the likelyhood of being involved in a crime while acquiring it. In Jxn E&L has long been known as the best BBQ, but most folks who frequent this board likely wouldn't want to purchase it in person. For "white folks" BBQ, Kenova in Flohood is some of the best around.
I'll second Kenova. Haven't lived in MS in 18 years, but family lives off of Grant's Ferry. We tried Kenova for the first time back in 2021, and it kind of blew me away given what my low expectations were. Their brisket was really good (which many MS places struggle with), and unlike EVERY BBQ place here in Texas, they knew how to make extremely good pulled pork.

I tried to go twice more when back home visiting, and they were sold out (think 6-7PM time frame). All in all, Kenova is pretty solid.
Kenova is definitely legit, whatever color of folks working it are. It stands up there with any of them. And for a burger, same folks that run Kenova run Foundation Burger. Best burger in Jackson and maybe anywhere else for that matter.

I never found much in the way of great BBQ during my exploits in MS, honestly, as far as a widespread genre. Places here and there, yes. I mean I liked Petty's I guess. I see the Sip as more of a southern type food state, catfish/cornbread/greens, rather than BBQ. The steak game is pretty high level too, I have no idea why, but it is. That said there is a place headed toward Learned called Sylvester's maybe? Incredible ribs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Kenova is definitely legit, whatever color of folks working it are. It stands up there with any of them. And for a burger, same folks that run Kenova run Foundation Burger. Best burger in Jackson and maybe anywhere else for that matter.

I never found much in the way of great BBQ during my exploits in MS, honestly, as far as a widespread genre. Places here and there, yes. I mean I liked Petty's I guess. I see the Sip as more of a southern type food state, catfish/cornbread/greens, rather than BBQ. The steak game is pretty high level too, I have no idea why, but it is. That said there is a place headed toward Learned called Sylvester's maybe? Incredible ribs.
Same here. I've honestly sort of given up on it. I guess that's the one food that home cooks have an advantage on.

If you're trying to run a barbecue restaurant in Mississippi, clearly the winning financial formula is just make sure you have a super sweet sauce and a lot of it, and then you don't have to worry about the meat as much.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022

Sylvester’s is amazing. I know the family that owns it they are great people. E&L is very good.

LocalBeachBum

Dec 8, 2021
If you are ever out west in southern New Mexico, you need to stop at Mad Jack’s Mountaintop BBQ in Cloudcroft. The guy makes some of the best brisket I have ever eaten.

BigDogFan

Oct 12, 2016
Tommy's BBQ on 61N in Vicksburg is putting out some good bbq. He has a 1,000 gallon smoker cooking with oak and his is more Texas style. His brisket is very good and some friends have tried his beef ribs and say they are good. Pulled pork is good too and he loads up the pulled pork sandwich. Not a fan of his sauce or beans.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I pity you saps who never got to experience Letha's inside the Levee in Foxworth.
Agreed.

Leatha’s is in Petal now. I’ve not eaten there but had their BBQ in their Oak Grove location but I think Foxworth was better because traveling there was special.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Agreed.

Leatha’s is in Petal now. I’ve not eaten there but had their BBQ in their Oak Grove location but I think Foxworth was better because traveling there was special.
Plus I'm sure Letha and her 500lb sons are long gone. The smoke house at the Foxworth location was well seasoned.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Plus I'm sure Letha and her 500lb sons are long gone. The smoke house at the Foxworth location was well seasoned.
Leatha passed away a little over ten years ago (‘12? ‘13?) and her daughter Bonnie died soon after — maybe a couple years later.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
As an almost graduate of Co-Lin who also worked in Brookhaven right out of State. I had many a meant Bowies. It was always solid. Now I need some Ole Brook people to tell me the name of the sandwich shop in the little metal shed that sold that sold flattened chili dogs sliced in half for about .75 cents. Those things hit the spot!
Bob’s?

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
Bob's Sandwich Shop is the place.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
Dump's in Wesson is excellent. Located in the old Wesson Package Store.
Also, JB's Barbecue in Hazlehurst is a must.

Jack Klompus.sixpack

Mar 6, 2021
If you are ever out west in southern New Mexico, you need to stop at Mad Jack’s Mountaintop BBQ in Cloudcroft. The guy makes some of the best brisket I have ever eaten.
The best pulled pork sandwich I have ever eaten was at Baked In Telluride in Telluride Colorado.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
I don’t know if it would be considered off the radar but Abe’s in Clarksdale

I’ve always like Coleman’s. There’s one left in Senatobia and I miss having the one in Hernando that got torn down to make way for a 17ing bank.
I used to love Coleman’s. Showing my age but I remember when there was one in OB. It became Old Style. Now it’s an over priced steak place.

Mar 3, 2008
Man Bob’s is the place!! Hit that that place up and then go shoot snooker at the pool hall behind Hudgeys!!! Any of those places still there. I’m trying to high jack this thread into a ole brook restaurant one

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login