OT: Greenville Hot Tamale Festival

Dec 14, 2008
Anyone ever been to the festival? Tips on things to do, where to stay, etc? Go back to hotel before dark? Never been to Greenville but once and that was 20 years ago. Just me and the wife. Don't really do bar scene; etc. -would probably just be Friday Saturday trip. Cypress board walk looks pretty interesting , too.

SyonaraStanz

Mar 5, 2010
There are a couple of Hilton properties on the south side of town. Hotel 27 is downtown and revamped. It may be booked up though. If you’re coming from north of town, you could stay in Cleveland at one of their boutique hotels; then ride down to the festival Saturday.

It’s nothing special; just a good excuse for listening to live music, drinking beer and eating tamales. In other words a good time.

MalfunctionJunction

Sep 28, 2022
Image of Tamale!

Reactions: dorndawg and D4L

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Staying in Cleveland is solid advice, one of the new hotels has a rooftop bar that is very nice. I certainly would be wary after dark in Greenville, but stay in the festival area and you should be fine. I go to Greenville 2-3 times per year for work, my go tos for lunch are The Butchers Block (downtown) and Shermans, Doe's is very overrated.

spudd21

Oct 4, 2022
The tamale festival is a great time. Greenville isn't as scary as many make it out to be. Saying that, stay in the festival area after dark and south of 82 when you leave. Hotels that are worth staying in are probably going to be booked so I'd stay in Cleveland if possible.

Reactions: D4L

D4L

Aug 2, 2021
It's a great festival, probably the best in the state. Good live music (Chapel Hart this year) and awesome food. They have also incorporated a downtown carnival. It is really well run and right in the middle of everything. The comments about safety are ridiculous. There are no issues at all in that area of downtown. Plenty of security. Just as with anywhere, use common sense.

Reactions: spudd21

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Sorry for the slight hijack but I remember we used to occassionally drive from Jackson to Vicksburgh back in the 80's to get tamales at this place. They were spicy and had tons of ground beef in them. I don't even order tamales anymore because it seems all you get is the bread part, little meat with little flavor. Anybody know this place I'm talking about?

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
Sorry for the slight hijack but I remember we used to occassionally drive from Jackson to Vicksburgh back in the 80's to get tamales at this place. They were spicy and had tons of ground beef in them. I don't even order tamales anymore because it seems all you get is the bread part, little meat with little flavor. Anybody know this place I'm talking about?
Not sure how long it has been there but The Tamale Place on the frontage Rd in Vicksburg is great. I think they are in an old gas station.

was21

May 29, 2007
Not sure how long it has been there but The Tamale Place on the frontage Rd in Vicksburg is great. I think they are in an old gas station.
As a native Vicksburger long relocated, I still go to The Tamale Place about once a year. I preorder 12 dozen tamales frozen. When I was growing up, they were about $.60 dozen. Now they're about $12 dozen and worth every penny. Solly's on south Washington street is the original but there was a family squabble and lawsuit, but tamales are about the same in both places. A lot of raving about Delta tamales but I'd put the Vicksburg tamales up against any anywhere.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
As a native Vicksburger long relocated, I still go to The Tamale Place about once a year. I preorder 12 dozen tamales frozen. When I was growing up, they were about $.60 dozen. Now they're about $12 dozen and worth every penny. Solly's on south Washington street is the original but there was a family squabble and lawsuit, but tamales are about the same in both places. A lot of raving about Delta tamales but I'd put the Vicksburg tamales up against any anywhere.
Thanks 21. So Solly's on Washington St is no longer there? Wherever it was that we used to go way back when seemed to be a place that they were just there to go, no place to sit down and eat. We would take them back to Jacktown and throw down. Greasy, spicy and full of ground beef and had to be eaten with a kniife and fork. I wanna pick some up on my next trip from Fort Worth to Jackson. So just head to the Tamale Place? Are they packed full of meat cooked in hot sauce and stuff?

mcfly.sixpack

Mar 21, 2009
I grew up in Greenville and still have family there. I’ve never been to the hot tamale festival but they say it’s a good time. I don’t care what anyone says go to Doe’s. It’s fantastic and you can brown bag. For lunch go to Gino’s on Reed road and get the catfish sandwich. As far as safety concerns go, I’m sure the festival has security but honestly Greenville is rough man. Like real rough. The further south you are the better.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
I grew up in Greenville and still have family there. I’ve never been to the hot tamale festival but they say it’s a good time. I don’t care what anyone says go to Doe’s. It’s fantastic and you can brown bag. For lunch go to Gino’s on Reed road and get the catfish sandwich. As far as safety concerns go, I’m sure the festival has security but honestly Greenville is rough man. Like real rough. The further south you are the better.

My out of my league wife is from Greenville and I love Gino’s pretty much everything there is good.

was21

May 29, 2007
Thanks 21. So Solly's on Washington St is no longer there? Wherever it was that we used to go way back when seemed to be a place that they were just there to go, no place to sit down and eat. We would take them back to Jacktown and throw down. Greasy, spicy and full of ground beef and had to be eaten with a kniife and fork. I wanna pick some up on my next trip from Fort Worth to Jackson. So just head to the Tamale Place? Are they packed full of meat cooked in hot sauce and stuff?
Sorry, didn't mean to state that Solly's is no longer open. They're both open. If you're coming from Ft. Worth on I-20, just get off service road at Hall's Ferry Road or the next exit east. The Tamale Place is on the south side of I-20, just a small shack. You can call ahead and get them frozen. Bring your ice chest. Eat next door at Goldie's BBQ.

SyonaraStanz

Mar 5, 2010
That’s a bit dramatic. I wouldn’t be hanging out in the hood (unless I’m going to Doe’s), but there’s less violent crime compared to other cities. It doesn’t have a Target, so people like to **** on it.***

MeridianDog

Sep 3, 2008
The tamale festival is always worth the trip. Get there early and enjoy the music. Amazing line up of tamale stands too.. It's about 9:00 at night and I now have a tamale monkey on my back. Wait! there are some in the freezer and beer in the fridge! Craving will soon be satisfied.

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
MS Tamales are something I miss dearly. They are not replicated anywhere else. I've tried and nothing comes remotely close even if you're lucky enough to find a tamale inside the husk.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
OK, who has the best tamales if you happen to have a friend driving through Greenville?

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
Speaking of Vicksburg the beer at Key City Brewery is outstanding. I haven’t eaten there but menu looks good.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login