OT: GTR

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
Flying the family back to Mississippi around the first of November. I once flew in a tin can out of Tupelo. I decided I wouldn't fo that again, especially with my family, but how is GTR?

YungDispo

Dec 12, 2022
It’s great. Fly in/out of there regularly. Fast boarding and departures. Security is a breeze. Only downside is flights are more expensive

Reactions: preacher_dawg

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
My only experience with it was about 20 years ago. The facilities were nice and security/boarding was a breeze. Whatever flight you book, make sure you research the plane that flys the route, I wouldn't be surprised it if is a puddle jumper. The Jackson airport is only two hours away and also easy to get in/out of.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Use to be turboprops back in the day. May still be. I like them actually. A little noisier than a jet, but kind of fun to fly in. Wish they still had some Memphis connections.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I work next to GTR and all I see fly out commercially is a Delta jet. Now it's a small jet but it is a jet. I'm guessing it sits 20-30 people from the brief glances I see it when it takes off or lands.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
GTR is totally fine. Small and flights tend to be pricier but I’ve never had any issues there. Flown out of there a number of times in the last 12ish years.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Just fyi, the Tupelo flight from Nashville is a legit jet now. One of those Embraer types - not the twin prop it used to be.

It’s maybe 35 minutes from wheels up to wheels down. I think they’ve also added (or maybe adding soon) a flight to Dallas but not sure about it.

BirdPuppy

Aug 5, 2023
Just fyi, the Tupelo flight from Nashville is a legit jet now. One of those Embraer types - not the twin prop it used to be.

It’s maybe 35 minutes from wheels up to wheels down. I think they’ve also added (or maybe adding soon) a flight to Dallas but not sure about it.
The Tupelo-Nashville flight is awesome now. Usually around $59 or less depending on the day of the week. Dallas flights start October 1.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
The only problem with Tupelo is that they don’t have connection agreements with other airlines. If going elsewhere and checking luggag, when you get to Nashville you have to go get your luggage and go back through security in Nashville and vice versa. It’s great if all you have is a carryon. It may have recently changed, I haven’t flown it in a year.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
The only problem with Tupelo is that they don’t have connection agreements with other airlines. If going elsewhere and checking luggag, when you get to Nashville you have to go get your luggage and go back through security in Nashville and vice versa. It’s great if all you have is a carryon. It may have recently changed, I haven’t flown it in a year.
Contour is still the same out of Tupelo. Great option for business when traveling with a carry on. The only thing to know is that you have to get in a shuttle bus to get to the big boy terminal at BNA. Always allow an extra 20 minutes or so.

They are also set to pickup daily flights TUP-DFW soon.

As for what airlines are flying out of GTR in this thread, FlightConnections.com is always great for these answers.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
They have agreement with AA now. And if I’m not mistaken, you can even book your flight completely through AA.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Best thing about the GTR airport is that there is never any confusion about your gate number or risk of a last minute gate change since there is only the one gate. Seriously, I live in Columbus and used to fly out of GTR all the time and was fine. Haven’t flown out of the airport since I retired but there was several flights back and forth to Atlanta every day.

Reactions: MSUDOG24

nsvltndog

Mar 30, 2010
We fly to/from GTR several times a year from Washington DC. There are 2 Delta flights to/from Atlanta every day on one of the larger regional jets. The airport is small, efficient & full of friendly employees. They've recently built a 2nd gate area hoping to land another airline w/ a westbound route - American to DFW or United to Houston would both be good options. I often sit next to passengers heading to Denver or the West Coast that would be better served by those options. The flights are often full & get very expensive when only a few seats are left.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I wonder has anything changed does GTR just go to Atlanta? Does not Tupelo just go to Nashville? Can't get flights in any direction except those two.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
I know GTR is wanting to get a westbound flight but I haven't heard any updates on it in a while. They are also going to be installing a jet-way sometime in the future thanks to a grant.

Earlier this summer I saw several Breeze Airways flights come in and out of GTR. I don't know who would be chartering those to fly to the Golden Triangle during the summer so maybe it was Breeze looking to expand.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I know GTR is wanting to get a westbound flight but I haven't heard any updates on it in a while. They are also going to be installing a jet-way sometime in the future thanks to a grant.

Earlier this summer I saw several Breeze Airways flights come in and out of GTR. I don't know who would be chartering those to fly to the Golden Triangle during the summer so maybe it was Breeze looking to expand.
Construction has started on the jetway, started last Fall/Winter but is supposed to take about 2 years. I flew out last week and saw some construction fencing and activity going on but didn't pay much attention. Here's an article about the Westward expansion, but that story is getting old so not sure whats up. Funny that Tupelo can get that flight but GTR can't because of pilots/staff......

GTR Westward flights

Reactions: Mjoelner

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Flying the family back to Mississippi around the first of November. I once flew in a tin can out of Tupelo. I decided I wouldn't fo that again, especially with my family, but how is GTR?
GTR is great. It is a bit more expensive but it's easy, security is quick, and the planes are the larger size regional jet now.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
This is why we don't use Tupelo.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
One thing to remember about GTR, that service pays its own way. Tupelo only has subsidized flights. That used to make a BIG difference in the service you got, with GTR being much better. It's been a while since we flew out of Tupelo.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
One thing to remember about GTR, that service pays its own way. Tupelo only has subsidized flights. That used to make a BIG difference in the service you got, with GTR being much better. It's been a while since we flew out of Tupelo.
This. GTR is not a ESA airport like Tupelo, Meridian, and Hattiesburg. The market is what drives GTR, not government subsidies. And the market is pretty good for GTR with primarily business travel (university and industry from the industrial park) and military. Pre-covid they were up to 4 flights a day to/from ATL, but they knocked one off when they started flying the bigger plane.

American is supposedly very interested in a flight to DFW from GTR, but not sure how the Tupelo news changes that. I think for MSU and maybe even industry, a flight to Houston would be better served.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
Best thing about the GTR airport is that there is never any confusion about your gate number or risk of a last minute gate change since there is only the one gate. Seriously, I live in Columbus and used to fly out of GTR all the time and was fine. Haven’t flown out of the airport since I retired but there was several flights back and forth to Atlanta every day.
Love GTR but the flip side of its simplicity is the ticket desk staff must also do "departure duties" and closes down completely so get there early. You ain't getting there "a little late" and making a dash for the gate. Ask me how I know.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Love GTR but the flip side of its simplicity is the ticket desk staff must also do "departure duties" and closes down completely so get there early. You ain't getting there "a little late" and making a dash for the gate. Ask me how I know.
Now this is my biggest complaint with contour flying out of Nashville to Tupelo. You have a certain window in Nashville when you can check you bags. Say you get there 3 hours before your flight, you’ll likely have to sit outside security waiting on someone at the contour desk who can check you in. Been stuck in that a few times - it sucks. Sometimes it’s hard to even find a place to sit anywhere near their service desk, so you literally stand around for an hour or more.

Getting in & out of tupelo is fine. But the Nashville part can really suck

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login