OT: Gulf Shores/Orange Beach condo recs

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
Headed back to GS/OB area for summer vacation this year for first time in about a decade. Give me some recs for nice condos to check out. Need to get something booked soon and don't know which ones are newer and nice and which are pos. Looking for some pack wisdom! Thanks.

Beach Party Running GIF by Party Down South

Reactions: Darryl Steight

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Headed back to GS/OB area for summer vacation this year for first time in about a decade. Give me some recs for nice condos to check out. Need to get something booked soon and don't know which ones are newer and nice and which are pos. Looking for some pack wisdom! Thanks.

Most of your condos in the area have some age and wear and tear on them. Turquoise place is probably the nicest? Phoenix West II probably number 2? Maybe those could be flipped? Both of those are reasonably new and have good amenities. Probably 3rd is Caribe (I think? Just past the bridge in OB?). It's on the bay, but has good indoor and outdoor pools and a shuttle to take you to the beach. Can also walk. Go under the bridge so you don't have to cross the road. I've heard Phoenix on the Bay is nice if you don't care about doing beach front.

I think when you get into a lot of the numbered Phoenix condos, it's going to be very dependent on how the individual condo owner has upgraded their unit over the years. I think they generally do a good job of maintaining their facilities though, so even if the facilities are dated they shouldn't be rundown or junky.

Reactions: SchrodingersDawg

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008

One other option is Portofino at PCB. Price is in the same neighborhood as Turqoise and Phoenix West. You do have to cross the road to get to the beach, though.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
That place has so blown up, I honestly will never go back there for vacation. It's so crowded during the summer and the waits for everything are terrible. The traffic is a complete nightmare as well. I honestly recommend you check out Pensacola Beach or Navarre Beach instead. Portofino is good. As are the Summerwind towers.

BigBully

Feb 27, 2008

Turquoise Place is still good. There are also a couple new Phoenix Condos that have been built within the past year if you are interested in OB. Although Caribe is nice, I wouldn't want to have to walk that far to the beach.

Really depends on what size you are looking for? 2 br? 3-4 br?

There are also a number of new non high-rise places going up. This appears to be the trend down here now. Best to check a few of the vacation leasing companies. A few off the top of my head are:

Vacasa
Southern Vacation and Realty
Brett-Robinson
Kaiser

BB

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
ET

I'm not a fan of Orange Beach generally, but damned if 30A isn't the most overrated place south of Oxford.

I'd just as soon be in Destin and prefer Navarre or Pensacola Beach. Per Capita *** holes drops considerably.
The traffic in Destin makes it suck for me. I have some places on 30A that I can park, not get in my car for a week, and eat at a variety of very good places. It has become my goto after years of LA/Destin.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
The traffic in Destin makes it suck for me. I have some places on 30A that I can park, not get in my car for a week, and eat at a variety of very good places. It has become my goto after years of LA/Destin.
Traffic sucks every beach town as far as I can tell. In general, if I go to the beach in the busy season, my goal is to drive as little as possible and try not to drive after ~11am, so Destin is not the drawback to me that it is to a lot of people. I generally haven't had good experiences eating out at any beach places from Fort Morgan to 30A, so I am fine eating at the condo. Not worth it to deal with the crowds and traffic to eat at restaurants that aren't as good as we have at home. We'll do pick up, delivery, and cook, and what we cook is usually the best thing we eat. The pickup or delivery is just to let us be lazy and not cook.

I will say I shouldn't have said 30A, as I'm really just talking about the Seaside, Watercolor, Seagrove stretch. Not sure about Grayton beach and west or Rosemary and east.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Traffic sucks every beach town as far as I can tell. In general, if I go to the beach in the busy season, my goal is to drive as little as possible and try not to drive after ~11am, so Destin is not the drawback to me that it is to a lot of people. I generally haven't had good experiences eating out at any beach places from Fort Morgan to 30A, so I am fine eating at the condo. Not worth it to deal with the crowds and traffic to eat at restaurants that aren't as good as we have at home. We'll do pick up, delivery, and cook, and what we cook is usually the best thing we eat. The pickup or delivery is just to let us be lazy and not cook.

I will say I shouldn't have said 30A, as I'm really just talking about the Seaside, Watercolor, Seagrove stretch. Not sure about Grayton beach and west or Rosemary and east.
Grayton is great. Old beach town vibe. If you come into fishwater money there's a nice $10MM house for sale there rn (https://www.thegraytonhouse.com/). Rosemary/Seacrest area is solid as well. I agree on Seaside/Watercolor/Seagrove, at least based on just driving through there. Never stayed and don't plan too. Seems super crowded compared to the other places I mentioned. The last few times I stayed in Destin it was 6 deep on the beach and side by side as far as you could see so that colors my opinion.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Take my yearly week vacation to Miramar beach every July. I would suggest somewhere between there and 30A. Plenty of rental companies that can be contacted, but I do not know them well enough to list them as Mrs. Devil usually takes care of that kind of stuff.

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Grayton is great. Old beach town vibe. If you come into fishwater money there's a nice $10MM house for sale there rn (https://www.thegraytonhouse.com/). Rosemary/Seacrest area is solid as well. I agree on Seaside/Watercolor/Seagrove, at least based on just driving through there. Never stayed and don't plan too. Seems super crowded compared to the other places I mentioned. The last few times I stayed in Destin it was 6 deep on the beach and side by side as far as you could see so that colors my opinion.
Destin it really matters what part you go to. None of it is going to be uncrowded, but it's way worse at the properties that are "deep" north to south and have a lot of units with access to one stretch of beach. Sandestin is probably the worst of these as it is basically a pie wedge, with a relatively narrow stretch of beach being utilized by property that extends all the way to the backbay and that gets wider the further away you get from the beach. They also have several towers throughout the property. Most of them have towers up front and then some low rises and/or single family behind them, and they aren't nearly as bad.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
I generally haven't had good experiences eating out at any beach places from Fort Morgan to 30A
Jesse's Restaurant in Magnolia Springs is or has opened a 2nd location on Fort Morgan Rd. just past the Peninsula Golf Course about 5 miles out of from Gulf Shores.

Jesse's in Magnolia Springs is on point.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Destin it really matters what part you go to. None of it is going to be uncrowded, but it's way worse at the properties that are "deep" north to south and have a lot of units with access to one stretch of beach. Sandestin is probably the worst of these as it is basically a pie wedge, with a relatively narrow stretch of beach being utilized by property that extends all the way to the backbay and that gets wider the further away you get from the beach. They also have several towers throughout the property. Most of them have towers up front and then some low rises and/or single family behind them, and they aren't nearly as bad.
One thing is certain. On any given day, I'd rather be sitting on any beach than working!

katfsh

May 15, 2014
Stay away from Phoenix west II. Way to many units for the amount of elevators. If you do try for floors 12 or under so you can park on same floor and avoid elevators. Was there past July, 15 minutes minimum wait, my in laws waited an hour and half one evening. master bedrooms aren’t direct to a balcony.

I prefer phoenix orange beach or orange beach II Corner units are 4 bedroom and best views.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
https://www.simpsonpropertiesgroup.com/ Look at this development. It’s managed by a friend of mine. It’s across the street from the beach, adjoining the state park bike trails, and walking distance from several restaurants. He also manages rentals at multiple other properties in the area. Great people even if he is an Auburn fan!

Bulldogbilly

Mar 19, 2020
Jesse's Restaurant in Magnolia Springs is or has opened a 2nd location on Fort Morgan Rd. just past the Peninsula Golf Course about 5 miles out of from Gulf Shores.

Jesse's in Magnolia Springs is on point.
Jesse’s in Fort Morgan is not open yet. Don’t know what delay is. Original one in Magnolia Springs is still excellent.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
We've done Beach Colony Resort in Perdido Key about three times now, and it was perfectly acceptable. No lazy river or anything, but it checks all the boxes we needed. Perdido Key is close enough to Orange Beach/Gulf Shores that you can pop over there pretty quickly, but far enough out that it's not super crowded.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Jessie’s is great, Tin Top is good as well but let’s be honest, you’re not driving that far from OB just for dinner. There is too many comparable restaurants on the island to drive 30-45 minutes. I’ll tell you another fantastic restaurant, Gelato Joes in Foley. Fantastic Italian food and reasonably priced as well.

msualohadog

Oct 25, 2014
Best kept secret for no crowds is Cape San Blas south of there. No restaurants, but no high rises and not too many condos. All Air BNB houses. Best of all, no traffic. We were the only ones on the beach for 200-300 yards last year during spring break. Grilled stuff from the seafood market and went to Port St. Joes for dinner a couple nights.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I have used Vacasa on three different occasions to find rentals and they have been great to deal with. I always do my own homework as far as location and such but if they have it as a rental it's usually good.

CEO2044

May 11, 2009
Any recs on one where where you’re not waiting 15 minutes or more on an elevator?

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
That place has so blown up, I honestly will never go back there for vacation. It's so crowded during the summer and the waits for everything are terrible. The traffic is a complete nightmare as well. I honestly recommend you check out Pensacola Beach or Navarre Beach instead. Portofino is good. As are the Summerwind towers.
Damn you stfu before a bunch of aholes start to orange beach my Pensacola. Keep going to Destin - you’ll love it

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Damn you stfu before a bunch of aholes start to orange beach my Pensacola. Keep going to Destin - you’ll love it
It's won't happen. All the federal land there will keep Pensacola trucking along just like it is.

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
Appreciate all the input. Booked a place in Orange Beach. Looking forward to it! Crowds and all.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login