OT: Ham Bone

MS-halfstep

Jun 27, 2015
I've got a ham bone that needs to be used (not what you're thinking tacodawg) and am in need of some good ideas.

Would like to avoid any potatoey dishes if possible and split pea soup is a no go for me.

Leaning towards a ham & dumpling idea I saw online, but am still undecided.

I'll hang up and listen...thanks

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Yep. My family’s been nibbling on a Honeybaked ham for the past week or so and we’ll be carving out a chunk of it to go with the blackeyed peas I bought the other day.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
Collard green soup is incredible with a hambone. This is nothing like old school collards.

1 packet of Knorr’s vegetable soup mix

1 lb andouille sausage sliced (can be 1/2 lb if a lot of meat on the hambone; have gone no sausage in some instances)

1 Hambone that you might need to cut in half because of the crockpot

1 packet frozen chopped collard greens

2 can of cannellini white kidney beans or white northern beans

1 can of petite diced tomatoes

Season well with S&P. Add Louisiana Hot sauce (more of the hot sauce when served)

4 cups water

Toss all of that in a large crockpot. 4 hours on high and then 3 hours on low. Serve with cornbread. I’ve never cooked it in a Dutch oven, but it’s doable and this would help with the size of the bone (insert tacodawg joke here). You may need more water.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
Done basically the same ham bone, white bean and collard dish in the instant pot. Will be done with 25 minutes pressure, let cool down naturally. My favorite way to use a hambone.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
If you can't decide right now, freeze it for later use or...

Throw it in a pot with some mire poix veggies and simmer it into a nice pork stock you can do lots of stuff with later. Lots of stock making videos online.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I feel like I want to read a novel about you, tacodawg. I think it’d be like John Steinbeck meets John Updike with a little Jerry Springer sprinkled on top

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
My Mama, God rest her soul, made something incredible called “ham bone soup”. It didn’t have beans in it, and as far as I can remember it contained no vegetables other than tomatoes. It had rice in it-lots of rice. I remember her saying in later years that you couldn’t make it with the bone from these spiral-type hams of the “honey-baked variety because of the sugar that was contained in those hams. You have to used them old standard smoked ham to make it, and most of the hams they sell today are full of sugar and just don’t make a great soup. I’m going to try to find the recipe as my wife has it-that **** was the bomb, though. If anyone is interested, I’ll try to find it and share it-if not, ya’ll can feel free to tell me to kiss your asses lol. If you ever make this stuff (and you like to do things with leftover hams) you will find that it doesn’t last long if you make it. I know it was an old recipe from my great-grandmother.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Red beans is the answer
Start with a good chunk of bacon fat and add some lardon and onion with s&p. Once the onions and bacon are browned add the celery and bell peppers. Add garlic a couple minutes before those are done. S&P all veggies when you add. Add country pleasin andouille with celery and peppers if you want it browned, if not you can add it now. Add stock (I use bone broth) and beans (rinsed and soaked overnight), couple bay leafs, ham bone, sage, whatever aromatics you like. Good ****.

Dog316

Aug 21, 2012
Red beans is the answer
Start with a good chunk of bacon fat and add some lardon and onion with s&p. Once the onions and bacon are browned add the celery and bell peppers. Add garlic a couple minutes before those are done. S&P all veggies when you add. Add country pleasin andouille with celery and peppers if you want it browned, if not you can add it now. Add stock (I use bone broth) and beans (rinsed and soaked overnight), couple bay leafs, ham bone, sage, whatever aromatics you like. Good ****.

It sounded appetizing until your last two words!

MeridianDog

Sep 3, 2008
Great northern beans. I call it "Ham Bone Beans" when I do it. I'm not sure when I did anything else with a hambone. I do try to leave a nice bot of ham on the bone to make it work best. However, I do like Great Northern beans and cornbread a lot. You can add onion, carrot whole kernel corn and kale to make a great northern bean soup that is really good.

View attachment 23445

Last edited:

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises too. Now that you have gone classic American literature, I will always imagine Taco's redhead as an English chick named Brett.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
You can get this at any grocery store. An onion, can of tomatoes, your ham bone and the spice packet that comes in the bag are all you need other than a big "pone" of jalapeno cornbread. Unless your significant other cherishes a dutch oven in the bed plan to sleep in the guest room though

View attachment 23448

tired

Sep 16, 2013
My wife's hambone is pretty tasty.

Sorry, don't have any appropriate pics

was21

May 29, 2007
Had some couple weeks ago...pretty good if in a pinch for time.... ham bone did help

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login