OT: Handicap parking

Moondawgg

Sep 30, 2022
Another random topic.
Where do you rank non-handicap (physical) people parking in handicap spots?
Worse than shopping cart bandits, Golf course window smashers, banging college bowlers of whom your wife is the coach, left lane drivers, or stealing from a kids cancer hospital?

What about if it’s a Rolls Royce?
IMG_9771.jpeg

BTW, no handicap plate or placard, I thoroughly checked.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Another random topic.
Worse than shopping cart bandits, Golf course window smashers, banging college bowlers of whom your wife is the coach, left lane drivers, or stealing from a kids cancer hospital?

View attachment 366868

It has become a bad situation in some places. I have a handicap tag, not a handicap plaque. I often see people get up and walk into the store without any problem who have parked in the handicapped spot when I have to find a spot in the regular parking.

It depends on where it's at; the more popular stores are where it's more common to find this. I've seen it many times more recently in the past few years.

For the record, you can have a plaque and use it without having the handicap person in the vehicle with you, but if you have to be handicapped to get a tag with a handicap designation.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I was telling someone the other day, in the 70s/80s, if you saw a vehicle with a 100% VA disabled tag, it was usually a WW2 vet who had been shot up during the war. Now if you see one is likely a 30-year-old weighing 400 lbs who also has a full-time government job and parks in a handicapped spot. There is much fraud in all our disability programs, but VA is by far the worst. It pisses me off because they gum up the system for combat vets who are truly injured (mentally and/or physically) and really need and deserve help.

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
I always say, “Laziness is not a handicap.” Scum of the earth, some lazy b@st@rd that just doesn’t want to walk 150’ into the store. I mean, hell, if you’re lazy enough and have no shame, you can even get one of those scooters once you get inside the store. Much worse than not returning the shopping cart to the “corral”, IMO.

Lawdawg.sixpack

Jul 22, 2012
While at State, I had ACL reconstruction over Christmas break one year. So when school started back in January, i went to get a temporary handicap parking pass while i was on crutches. I think the doctor’s note said one month. They gave me a pass for the whole spring semester. Even then, though, i didn’t park in handicap spots.

But i absolutely parked in staff lots all spring…

Reactions: She Mate Me

YesIAmAPirate

Oct 3, 2022
Now they aren’t even bothering in parking in handicap. I have seen a couple of times someone pull up at Walmart and stop at the bollards in front of the store, throw it in park, get out and walk in

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I saw one this week at WalMart Grocery in Starkville. Flying through the parking lot music blasting. Whipped into handicap spot closest to front door. Got out talking non stop on cell phone, solid 300 lb female with pajama bottoms and slippers on with pink feathered foam cap on head keeping the hair in place. No tag or rear view hanger in sight

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
If they're old, I cut them a break. If not, just run over them so they're legit next time.**
I agree with this sentiment. If you take one of those spots and don't need it the law should allow that somebody make sure the next time you park, you do need it.

pmack3641

Aug 9, 2019
My wife is handicapped and we‘ve seen on numerous occasions lazy *** non-handicapped people with and without cards or plates park in spots that we could’ve used (she has MS) . When she’s not with me I never park in handicapped even though we’ve got a legal permit.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
I had a card, last year, that hung from my rearview mirror. Did not use it much, but on occasion, I forgot to hang it up, when I got out of the car.
It happens.

(not legal to hang anything from rearview, while driving.)

kired

Aug 22, 2008
My dad is just the opposite. He’s got a card due to back problems. He keeps it in the truck but almost never uses it. And he wouldn’t be caught dead on one of those scooters

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Another random topic.

View attachment 366868

Be careful assuming. I knew a guy that had one for emphysema. Could only walk so far before he was too out of breath to continue. He didn't look handicapped.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Lots of people have other's cards in their cars because they have older or handicapped relatives they take shopping or to the doctor from time to time. Unfortunately many of them are low down enough to use the card when their relative is not with them.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Grinds my gears but not all handicaps are always immediately visible. Placards or the handicaps themselves.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login