OT - Has anyone ever returned a mail-order mattress?

patdog

May 28, 2007
I need a new mattress. I've found a Tempur-Pedic that I really like at Miskelly. But I see that the Avacado Green is very highly rated. Only catch is they don't have a showroom anywhere near here. So, I'd have to order and then have I think 3 or 4 months to return it if I don't like it. But it seems to me it would be a huge PITA to box up a mattress and foundation and return it. Plus I think most companies charge a fee of a couple hundred for a return. Any advice from the board?

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
I bought a Casper and we hated it. Kept for 60 days and then returned. It was very easy. I ended up getting The Plank mattress. It’s amazing.

Reactions: patdog

BigBully

Feb 27, 2008
We bought a Saatva mattress about 1.5 years ago. It began sagging and I called to see what they would do. No hesitation, they had a new mattress delivered to me within 5 days and took the old mattress away and they didn't charge me anything. Good customer service.

BB

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
We tried to return a Tuft & Needle mattress from Amazon and it wasn't a smooth process, so we decided to keep it rather than go through the hassle. I asssume that ordering directly from the manufacturer would have would have made things easier.

goindhoo

Feb 29, 2008
I did this a few times with purple, Casper, etc. I think I tried 4. Didn’t like any of them! Ha. Anyways, contact them in the 90 day period and they send a goodwill store out to pick it up. It was funny that they sent the same store every time and the pickup lady was like awesome, thanks for another one.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Buy a Sleep Number Mattress and be done with it. It’s infinitely adjustable so it can be whatever you want, soft, firm, and anywhere in between. I have three of them.

Reactions: PapaDawg and patdog

LocalBeachBum

Dec 8, 2021
I purchased a Natural Form Mattress when I shipped my 1st sleep number back for leaking air, the 2nd for not being delivered as promised.

it was 1/3rd the price and twice as comfortable. It is an air adjustable mattress that doesn’t use motors. You set it to the comfort you want and it stays there.

I have the Euro version. The sales people were simple to deal with.

Oct 14, 2021
Brooklyn Bedding sent me a new one replacing a slight sag on the original almost a year after order. Asked me to donate old one to charity which we did. Since bought another for daughter and will continue to do business with them in the future. They are CR highly rated. Wait for 25% off sale around major holidays if you’re ordering from any online.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
I did this a few times with purple, Casper, etc. I think I tried 4. Didn’t like any of them! Ha. Anyways, contact them in the 90 day period and they send a goodwill store out to pick it up. It was funny that they sent the same store every time and the pickup lady was like awesome, thanks for another one.
The next time one of you wahoos has Goodwill pick up a $10K mattress that you farted on for 6 nights please let me know the store location.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I need a new mattress. I've found a Tempur-Pedic that I really like at Miskelly. But I see that the Avacado Green is very highly rated. Only catch is they don't have a showroom anywhere near here. So, I'd have to order and then have I think 3 or 4 months to return it if I don't like it. But it seems to me it would be a huge PITA to box up a mattress and foundation and return it. Plus I think most companies charge a fee of a couple hundred for a return. Any advice from the board?
If you don't like it, I'm sure the Godfather will take it off your hands just in case... **

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
No. But I have a Nectar. If you are a side or back sleeper, it’s awesome.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Something you might want to consider is a mattress topper. I bought a 3” high density memory foam one from the below. Made my bed feel like a new one. I found it on Amazon on sale(Queen) for about $120. Many brands to pick from including Tempur-Pedic. I just put one on my mattress at my condo. Sleeps great.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
I bought a Saatva mattress and kept it for almost a year. There was nothing wrong with it, but I called and complained about it just for the hell of it. Their customer service sent me a brand new mattress free of charge within a week of my complaint-I told them that the mattress was “sagging” even though it wasn’t. They sent me a brand new mattress and told me to “dispose” of the old one. I moved the old mattress to the duck camp even though there wasn’t really anything wrong with it. Later, I told them that there really wasn’t anything wrong with the old mattress but they didn’t care about that-they sent me a new one anyhow. I offered to pay for the new one but they didn’t care. I felt pretty bad about that, but they didn’t care. I guess they care more about their reputation than anything. At this point I can’t say anything but good things about Saatva…

patdog

May 28, 2007
Something you might want to consider is a mattress topper. I bought a 3” high density memory foam one from the below. Made my bed feel like a new one. I found it on Amazon on sale(Queen) for about $120. Many brands to pick from including Tempur-Pedic. I just put one on my mattress at my condo. Sleeps great.
You're right about the mattress topper. Unfortunately for me now, that's what's gotten the last 8 or so years of life out of the old mattress. It's to the point now where even if I bought a new topper, it still wouldn't be nearly as comfortable as that TempurPedic I tried out last week. It's kind of expensive (but you could easily pay double), but I figure over the life of the mattress, it works out to about 50 cents per night.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I only buy my mattresses second hand from Motel 6.
If you buy a Mattress from one of those Mattress Depot or Mattress Warehouse type stores, that likely what you are getting. There is a business near me that takes old hotel mattresses and trade in mattresses and puts new covers on them and ships the out to those discount mattress places.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login