OT: Hockey

MaroonSadness99

Aug 1, 2022
I’m trying to get into hockey. I’ve got an ESPN+ account so I can watch the games. I can’t decide if I want to be a stars fan or preds fan. Nashville is the only realistic place I can ever go see a game but I’m already a cowboys fan so I thought I might stick with the Dallas theme. Thoughts anyone?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Hockey and Soccer are for commies.
Don't bother trying to watch on TV. It's nothing compared to a live game.
Folks said the same about NASCAR, I went to Talladega, it was ok, but nothing that made me want to go back. Same with the Jxn Bandits.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I’m trying to get into hockey. I’ve got an ESPN+ account so I can watch the games. I can’t decide if I want to be a stars fan or preds fan. Nashville is the only realistic place I can ever go see a game but I’m already a cowboys fan so I thought I might stick with the Dallas theme. Thoughts anyone?
Take the Preds and get up to Nashville to see them if you can. Hocky in person is just nuts!

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
can't second the going to a game sentiment enough. It is the best live sporting event and TV does not capture it. I went to several Red Wings games and they were great but I also attended a college hockey game at Michigan and boy that environment was next level.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Back 20-25 years ago I was a Stars fan. Guess I was a bandwagoner since those were great seasons. One of my friends had the NHL hitz game on PlayStation 2 and that’s how I got into it. But once the players I knew moved on or retired I lost interest.

If I was trying to follow now I’d pick Nashville since they are closest to me.

I think it’s harder to keep up with vs NFL or NBA because in those sports we see a lot of the players go from college to the pros. Even casual fans are familiar with the player base. MLB is a little different because everyone works their ways thru the minors and a lot skip college, but we still get familiar with the top stars on each team. Compare to the NHL - something like 2/3 come from outside the US, mostly Canada. You’ve got to put effort into following the sport and learning who the players are, can’t just turn on espn and expect to halfway stay informed.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I like to imagine how hockey rules got started.

Hockey inventor: It's gonna be kind of like soccer.

New Ref: How so?

Hockey inventor: We are going to have this thing called icing that is more confusing than offsides.

New Ref: OK, but what about the fights that are likely with all the bumping into each other and them already holding sticks to fight with?

Hockey inventor: Let them fight.

New Ref: Seriously?

Hockey inventory: OK, make them drop the sticks first.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I will watch black paint dry in a dark closet before I watch hockey on tv, but, I will go to a hockey game in person. First one I ever saw (the old Jackson Bandits) I thought "this is leaps and bounds better than watching it on tv" Then I went and saw the Preds a few times and I like it. I'm definitely not considered a Predators fan but if I'm in town and they are playing I'll go for sure.
Now as for soccer, its a waste of whatever air they pump into a ball. I couldn't be paid to go to the World Cup finals via limousine w/ free airfare, hotel and beer included, and I like me some beer, a lot!

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Hockey and Soccer are for commies.

Folks said the same about NASCAR, I went to Talladega, it was ok, but nothing that made me want to go back. Same with the Jxn Bandits.
In 2001 I was in Denver on business and had some time to kill, and someone gave me a ticket to an Avalanche game. I knew nothing about hockey outside of going to an occasional Memphis RiverKings game.

Well, that one game in Colorado ended up being a Stanley Cup final game against the New Jersey Devils. The intensity of the game, the energy of the fans.....I was hooked.

Now I never miss an opportunity to check out an NHL game when I can. I'm in Dallas and Tampa quite a bit and take in Stars and Lightning games whenever I get a chance.

Don't crap on it until you've tried it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login