OT-House of Dragons

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I’ve really tried to temper my expectations with this series because I knew going in that there was no way it could live up to the original GoT, minus the final season of course. Even after accepting that, however, I’ve mostly been disappointed so far.

I feel like the writing has been much more formulaic than the original that constantly had you on edge waiting for the unexpected, and the characters are much less likeable as a whole than the original cast.

considering the final scene from the last episode, it does seem like business is about to quickly pick up, but how are y’all feeling about it?

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
I’ve really tried to temper my expectations with this series because I knew going in that there was no way it could live up to the original GoT, minus the final season of course. Even after accepting that, however, I’ve mostly been disappointed so far.

I feel like the writing has been much more formulaic than the original that constantly had you on edge waiting for the unexpected, and the characters are much less likeable as a whole than the original cast.

considering the final scene from the last episode, it does seem like business is about to quickly pick up, but how are y’all feeling about it?

One of the things that I liked about the original GoT was what seemed like an unlimited amount of storylines and characters. I know it could be frustrating at times but mainly because you felt like you wanted to see more about everyone. I know this series is meant to be somewhat limited due to the focus but I think that is what gives me the feeling that it's coming up a little short.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
Still watching it all but I haven't gotten sucked in like GOT because of the time jumps, everyone having the same name and the slow plot build. I know they're building for the big war between Black and Green but it's added several filler episodes.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
I'm watching and will continue to watch... but it has been a little lackluster.

GoT shocked you, multiple times, in that first season. It gave you people to hate from about 30 minutes in (Jaime 17ing his sister and then she shoves a kid to a wheelchair - made her character arc very easy to hate and cheer against the entire series).

Feels like HoTD hasn't really told us exactly who to hate yet.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021

GoT shocked you, multiple times, in that first season. It gave you people to hate from about 30 minutes in (Jaime 17ing his sister and then she shoves a kid to a wheelchair - made her character arc very easy to hate and cheer against the entire series).

I dunno. Its pretty easy to root against Larys Strong who burned his family alive.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

Damn I only clicked on the thread because I thought Starkville may be getting a new Chinese restaurant, bummer

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
I dunno. Its pretty easy to root against Larys Strong who burned his family alive.

But Larys isn't fighting over the throne and control of the kingdom. Larys is, shall we say, simply tugging for a chance to get his foot in the door.

Who do we hate between Alicent and Rheanyra? Feels like Alicent should be, because we know she's bent the truth to change the throne's lineage... but Rheanyra married a gay guy, is an uncle 17er, and also has the bastard kids who don't have a legit claim... ?

In GoT, I knew I wanted all the Lannisters to get beheaded and I wanted all the Starks to keep the realm peaceful (even though that would be a boring show). Do I really want that ***** Aegon to be King? I mean, Robin Arryn had more of a backbone than that guy.

We all need a team to cheer for. Who is that team?

Reactions: Anon1665332816

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
The show has required me to google wt17 is happening in each episode since time jumps are so significant each episode. When they just straight up swapped out actors due to the age changes, that was goofy too. I get it, but damn its tough to follow.
One episode a kid is 10 and the next he is 25 and raping the help.

Its tough to actually care about the characters since they jump so far in age each episode.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005

I stopped watching after the 4th episode. Just didn’t do it for me.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
But Larys isn't fighting over the throne and control of the kingdom. Larys is, shall we say, simply tugging for a chance to get his foot in the door.

Who do we hate between Alicent and Rheanyra? Feels like Alicent should be, because we know she's bent the truth to change the throne's lineage... but Rheanyra married a gay guy, is an uncle 17er, and also has the bastard kids who don't have a legit claim... ?

In GoT, I knew I wanted all the Lannisters to get beheaded and I wanted all the Starks to keep the realm peaceful (even though that would be a boring show). Do I really want that ***** Aegon to be King? I mean, Robin Arryn had more of a backbone than that guy.

Larys is very clearly aligned with the Hightowers. Also, the best character in the show is Daemon Targaryen.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
I think this finale is going to have to be really good or viewership for the 2nd season is going to tank

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006

That’s the part that’s really disappointing to me so far, and it’s exactly what I meant when I said that this series is more formulaic.

GoT kept you edge because it didn’t give a damn whether it was a season finale or episode 3, something was going down. A main character getting murdered, somebody getting dismembered, betrayal… the punches were heavy and constant

in this new series, yeah, a few peoples have been offed but no one anyone cares about. When the most shocking scene we’ve seen so far is a foot fetish, there’s a problem

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I’ve actually really enjoyed it. I don’t think it’s as good as peak Game of Thrones (seasons 1-4). but it’s better than whatever the heck you want to call those last couple of seasons. I think this season has been a lot of setup and putting the pieces in the place and the rest of the show is going to focus on this Targaryen civil war and with a ton of action and blood. Lots of dragon on dragon violence is on the way.

I really like the King Viserys character, and the actor that portrayed him did an amazing job.

Reactions: Anon1665332816

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
If the dragon had just burned them all last episode and the show ended, it would've been a win for me. It's boring as hell!

Reactions: mstateglfr

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Dude, it’s ridiculous

Rhaenys
Rhaenyra
Rhaena

All in season 1…
In the last episode there were two identical twin brothers named Erryk and Arryk. I mean come on. Lol.

I joked with my wife that the controversy about which “Aegon” the king was talking about could’ve been easily avoided if they stopped naming everybody the same dang thing. Would it be so bad to name one of your sons Dave or Timmy for a change?

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
Something else we should also consider is that our ability to be shocked in Westeros is at a different scale than a decade ago when GoT came out.

I mean, in episode 1 of GoT, we had a brother 17ing a sister, who is the queen of the realm and married to someone else, who they all traveled together with to visit friends in the north... and that queen then threw a 8 year old out of a window to hide the fact that she was 17ing her brother. By the end of season 1, a young teenager beheaded that character that everyone was rooting for and had a grand secret about the realm.

So somebody being an uncle 17er and beheading a lord of an insignificant house who was being a petulant ***** isn't that shocking to us anymore.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
It has certainly lacked the action of GOT. In the first season of GOT, the main character gets whacked, that set us the entire show to keep people on the edge of their seats. In the 20 years of time jumps, Criston Cole has not aged which i find as a huge oversight.

llmsudawg

Mar 3, 2008
it's been sub-par, so far...

** b...b...b...but it has dragons... look at all the dragons...

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
it's been sub-par, so far...

** b...b...b...but it has dragons... look at all the dragons...
I actually hate the dragons. I get that we are in a fantasy world, but when it goes that far into the fantasy, it loses me a little.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022

I don't really have a strong opinion about the show, even though I am a huge ASoIaF fan. It's good entertainment. It will never be as good as the books, which GRRM will never finish. Most of the deviations from the source material have been ok to inspired (with the exception of Cole committing murder of a House member in front of everyone at a royal event, and everyone just ignoring it with the offended House not demanding justice). But I will say, based on the source material, it has all been set up so far. From here on out it will be peak GoT vicious wartime backstabbing insanity. It should be good.

One problem is how to end it. After the throne is finally settled, the source story evolves into political intrigue without warfare. I love that part of the story, but I don't see how to sustain the show on it. Though that's several seasons out.

Reactions: Uncle Ruckus

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021

Meh. If I really wanted to see a show about Elrik, I guess this might have been it over 25 years ago

Admittedly, I'm still fatigued from the GOT run.

Mud84

Oct 14, 2012

Well its hard to like any of the characters when they are all changing so quickly... so i will give it a pass on that. I have really been enjoying the show so far. This season Finale should be a nail biter.

Anon1665332816

Oct 9, 2022
In the last episode there were two identical twin brothers named Erryk and Arryk. I mean come on. Lol.

I joked with my wife that the controversy about which “Aegon” the king was talking about could’ve been easily avoided if they stopped naming everybody the same dang thing. Would it be so bad to name one of your sons Dave or Timmy for a change?
I think you're on to something. Timmy sounds like a great dragon-rider name...

engie

May 29, 2011
in this new series, yeah, a few peoples have been offed but no one anyone cares about.
This show will be far more brutal in the end than GOT ever was. Like so brutal that it potentially alienates the whole audience if they tell the same story the books do. And that’ll start in the finale on Sunday when the first real blows are struck.

Also, those twin brothers serve a key narrative purpose, which was set in motion last episode

Reactions: columbiadawg2

coach66

Mar 5, 2009

I’m watching and I think it’s about to pickup but not on same level as GOT but what is? It’s dark all the time with no spectacular scenery like GOT which I hope improves.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
I’m watching and I think it’s about to pickup but not on same level as GOT but what is? It’s dark all the time with no spectacular scenery like GOT which I hope improves.

I liked GOT, and I like this one. The time jumps are a little off putting. Otherwise great show. There have been some big moments, and it's about to really take off.

The worst thing about the GOT universe is the fans. The all seem to think they know better than the show runners how the show should go. The podcasts, etc. became unbearable the last couple of seasons of GOT with all the hurt feelings because the show didn't unfold exactly how they thought it should.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Pretty sure I want Crispin Cole to get killed
17 I hate Cole so bad. I thought Ser Harold was more of a badass than he was, but when he told that ***** Cole to take off his cloak and lay down his sword, then his queen said the same and he did not, he just quit like a *****.
But I really enjoy the show. Some of you people are some cynical 17s. It's a really damn good show with some really damn good actors. And it's about to get wild. Everyone is going to really hate Aemond after this week I imagine.

Reactions: Faustdog

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
This show will be far more brutal in the end than GOT ever was. Like so brutal that it potentially alienates the whole audience if they tell the same story the books do. And that’ll start in the finale on Sunday when the first real blows are struck.

Also, those twin brothers serve a key narrative purpose, which was set in motion last episode
Glad someone knows what's going on. After seeing the clip at Storms End on the preview for this week, there's going to be a pretty big gut punch coming. Since the book isn't very descriptive about it, I'm kind of curious what happens. But on the other hand it makes me kinda uneasy thinking about how far they could take it.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022

Alicent didn't bend the truth, she didn't understand what she was hearing. The King was basically having a Targ dream of the future. He saw Aegon (jon snow) and knew he was the king that was promised as he mentioned. He knew Jon should be seated on the iron throne and basically said so with Alicent sitting there as he was about to die. She thought he was talking about their Aegon, not Jon Snow because that is like 170 years in the future, which she doesn't understand. She is doing exactly what she understands he was asking for.

Now, Rheanyra's kids are all bastards. I personally want Deamon to just go in and kill them all, but as I already know how the story ends..... can't elaborate.

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
Yeah it's just not good.
Nobody is likeable, timeline is confusing, no good conflict, and I don't give a 17 about who the heir is.
And there are no -and I mean NO - good boobies... ever. NONE.
I have no idea what's going on, and can't follow the plot unless I watch the after-the-episode directors synopsys.

The after-episode directors explanation reminds me of this old addage :
If you tell a joke, and then have to explain why the joke is funny... maybe the joke sucks?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login