OT: How long before China hits Taiwan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Now that they have laid the plans with Russia to take our interest away from the Pacific front.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Certainly doesn't appear that Putin is stopping in the Russian-backed areas. I would expect China to follow suit.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Bottom line is, the United States has to start producing it own stuff, our own medicine and using our own fossil fuel. Need to get away from the cheap slaved produced products from China. I don't think it will happen. China has put the right amount of money in the right pockets and they have our politicians and businesses are addicted to their money. We are screwed.

Last edited:

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Soon. They are prepping for it.

[TWEET]1496133191127687180[/TWEET]

Aug 22, 2012
Bottom line is, the United States has to start producing it own stuff, our own medicine and using our own fossil fuel. Need to get away from the cheap slaved produced products from China. I don't think it will happen. China has put the right amount of money in the right pockets and they have our politicians and businesses are addicted to their money. We are screwed.

We had an administration that emphasized energy independence but ya know, mean tweets and all. Imagine if the current admin hadn't closed the Keystone Pipeline, or promoted fracking or nuclear instead of letting a sneering pre-teen determine our energy policies.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Crenshaw is a doofus, but he's right. We are letting Twitter and Greta Thunberg dictate our energy policies.

Feb 23, 2008
A doofus that lost an eye so that people like you can talk freely on a

chat board about the trials and tribulations of State sports with random ******** from all over the world.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I know very little about the incredibly complex inner workings of the oil industry, so hopefully some actual experts can chime in(instead of the ones that were virology experts for the last couple years).

- Keystone XL is a pipeline and contrary to this tweet, it doesnt produce anything.
- Keystone XL wouldnt even be built yet, even if Biden hadnt gotten involved.
- Keystone XL would have still resulted in imported oil, it just would have come from Canada. A small % would have been added to the pipeline in the US too.

So if all that is correct, then what is Crenshaw actually saying? It appears he is saying a pipeline that would not be on line at this time and that would eventually transport imported crude oil, would be a way for us to not import from Russia right now.

EDITED TO ADD- experts, help me understand what Crenshaw is saying and what info I have wrong because when using the little info I know, Crenshaw makes no sense.

Last edited:

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Not this year. China has to restart their economy first. They have been very slow to reopen compared to the rest of the world. Also, Xi Jinping has his most critical election coming in November. He will be named President for life like Mao unless he rocks the boat.

If he's going to do it it will be in 2023. He will have had time to study the Putin playbook, get his economy going, and will have the benefit of being Dictator for life.

We will have to fight for Taiwan. There's no upside to doing it now since we have negligible resources committed to Ukraine. It wouldn't be a 2 front war and Xi Jinping has a few headwinds right now. If he supports Putin economically and through political jawboning, it's likely Putin will have has back down the road.

None of this **** had to happen. There was a real anti interventionist attitude that kicked in during the great recession as Americans and the west were frustrated with the occupation in Iraq and the $ spent while our economy suffered. Very similar sentiment during the great depression.

It's almost ironic the similarities to 100 years ago. A major war (WW1/Iraq war), a pandemic (Spanish Flu/Covid), and economic disaster (Great Depression/Great Recession.) All those events make people want to focus on our own problems and it makes sense, but history has proven isolationism breeds extremism.

There was an axis then (Germany, Japan, and Italy) and it sure feels like there is one now (Russia, China, and Iran.) We have lost our will for peace through strength as a country. I hope it doesn't bite us in the ***.

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I know very little about the incredibly complex inner workings of the oil industry, so hopefully some actual experts can chime in(instead of the ones that were virology experts for the last couple years).

- Keystone XL is a pipeline and contrary to this tweet, it doesnt produce anything.
- Keystone XL wouldnt even be built yet, even if Biden hadnt gotten involved.
- Keystone XL would have still resulted in imported oil, it just would have come from Canada. A small % would have been added to the pipeline in the US too.

So if all that is correct, then what is Crenshaw actually saying? It appears he is saying a pipeline that would not be on line at this time and that would eventually transport imported crude oil, would be a way for us to not import from Russia right now.

EDITED TO ADD- experts, help me understand what Crenshaw is saying and what info I have wrong because when using the little info I know, Crenshaw makes no sense.

Keystone XL would open up a more efficient way to transport oil from the Canadian Tar sands to US refineries. Right now, any oil is trucked and shipped. So the real net gain is not 830k barrels per day, it's 830k barrels per day less whatever barrels currently trucked and railed that wouldn't be cost effective any more and also less whatever amount of crude would no longer be shipped to US because of competition from new supply of canadian oil. Not sure what those numbers are.

MrKotter

Aug 22, 2012
chat board about the trials and tribulations of State sports with random ******** from all over the world.

Do a little more digging on Crenshaw and who he's tied to before going after someone who seems to know what Crenshaw really is. Crenshaw can go 17 himself

Last edited:

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
At what point do we the consumer take responsibility? We have gotten into this cycle of blame but nobody holds themselves accountable. How many people complain about China only to walk into their house and they have a brand spanking new TCL tv in their living room. I try to buy items that aren’t owned by Chinese companies but it’s difficult and I am just as guilty as anyone else. The fact is everyone is raising hell because Big Macs cost $2 more, what would it be like if their electronics cost $200 more. We are addicted to cheap products.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Keystone XL would open up a more efficient way to transport oil from the Canadian Tar sands to US refineries. Right now, any oil is trucked and shipped. So the real net gain is not 830k barrels per day, it's 830k barrels per day less whatever barrels currently trucked and railed that wouldn't be cost effective any more and also less whatever amount of crude would no longer be shipped to US because of competition from new supply of canadian oil. Not sure what those numbers are.

Ok, so he isnt correct in saying a pipeline produces the oil since it transports the oil. He omits the reality that largely wouldnt be 'our' oil as that would still be imported oil. And it wouldnt even be up and running yet.
Your point that it would be 830 minus what is moved now is also good to consider. The cost to transport would drop and I assume volume would increase, but its not like current volume is 0.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
He didn’t ban fracking. He banned it on some public lands but fracking is still very much a thing.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
We have to leave fossil fuels eventually. Seems like a great reason to accelerate that process.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
"would have produced". That part is accurate. He never insinuated it was completed and just sitting there. If the project was allowed to the finished, "it would have produced".

To your point, only about 10% of our oil is coming from Russia proper.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-30103078

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_move_impcus_a2_nus_ep00_im0_mbbl_m.htm

Interesting interpretation of 'would have produced'. I took that to mean 'had it not been blocked, it would have produced'. But yeah, he could have meant that in the future...though that wouldnt have really gone along with the point of his tweet since the rest of it is very much referencing the present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login