OT: How to catch a poacher

coach66

Mar 5, 2009
Looking for ideas besides cameras. We have two of them on camera but picture isn’t real clear. I found a dead eight point that they left for the coyotes and buzzards this morning. We have worked really hard making our place special and these ******* rednecks just want to take it from us. We have a good idea who the are and the game warden is now engaged.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Looking for ideas besides cameras. We have two of them on camera but picture isn’t real clear. I found a dead eight point that they left for the coyotes and buzzards this morning. We have worked really hard making our place special and these ******* rednecks just want to take it from us. We have a good idea who the are and the game warden is now engaged.
I know what the North Woods Law boys would do.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
If you are in Mississippi, you have the castle doctrine. If it's your land just wait out there for them and kill them. Claim they threaten you and you were defending your person. It will probably go to a grand jury but hell they were on your land with guns and dead men don't talk.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
If you are in Mississippi, you have the castle doctrine. If it's your land just wait out there for them and kill them. Claim they threaten you and you were defending your person. It will probably go to a grand jury but hell they were on your land with guns and dead men don't talk.
time dorm GIF

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
invite deputies from you local sheriff's office to take X number of does, nothing beats having these guys on your team.
I was at a very nice camp in Warren county years ago. It was super well equipped and had the best of everything. I asked one of the members how in the world they escaped getting everything stolen when they weren't there. He laughed and said well sheriff Barrett is an honorary member. Nuff said.

Reactions: DawgsGoneWild

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Cameras are your only method. Narrow down their entry point and put up a decoy (that can be seen) and hide a cell camera nearby. Unless you have a buddy who is a deputy or warden, LE isn't going to burn too many calories on such matters, so you'll have to do most of the work. If you can catch them going in, see if you can get a deputy out there to wait on them to come out or at least get their tag info. Sometimes just a good "talking to" from LE will be enough to stop it. Obviously, make sure you property is well marked with "no trespassing" signage.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Cameras are your only method. Narrow down their entry point and put up a decoy (that can be seen) and hide a cell camera nearby. Unless you have a buddy who is a deputy or warden, LE isn't going to burn too many calories on such matters, so you'll have to do most of the work. If you can catch them going in, see if you can get a deputy out there to wait on them to come out or at least get their tag info. Sometimes just a good "talking to" from LE will be enough to stop it. Obviously, make sure you property is well marked with "no trespassing" signage.
We had a deputy tell family that game cam images were not enough evidence as we had caught some a while back. I guess the argument would be that can you conclusively prove it was on your property. I'm not sure.

Oct 17, 2023
Buy better game cameras. We were able to prosecute two dbag trespassers using pictures and video from our cameras.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Get law enforcement involved as you have and hope the offenders aren’t relatives of local LEO.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I am sorry that you are having this problem. Unfortunately it happens all too often around here. We haven’t had too many problems over the years but we had a situation a few years ago where a group of 5 men got all over us rabbit / deer / coon / possum hunting with a bunch of Heinz 57 dogs one day during deer season. I caught up with them and without getting ugly told them that they were trespassing and that they needed to leave immediately. None of them ever said a word and proceeded to spread out and stare at me. We had a stare down for a couple of minutes and then they walked toward the road and thankfully never came back. Scared the crap out of me. I thought we were about to have a shootout which would not have ended well for me. A bolt action rifle vs 5 shotguns. Anyway I wouldn’t try to confront them based on my experience. Other than the cameras that you already mentioned I would try to figure out where they are parking and get a picture of their vehicle and tag number. If you actually see them I would try to carefully get pictures of them while they are ON our land. Turn it over to law enforcement and file charges against them.

I have a friend in Wisconsin that has a lot of problems with people from Chicago trespassing and poaching on his land. He ran a guy off multiple times and the guy kept coming back. He finally figured out where the guy was parking, let the air out of all 4 tires and called the law. That put a stop to it. They have it real bad. My friend bow hunts and then when their 9 day gun season starts he spends the whole season walking his fence line and running people off. They all refer to people from Illinois as FIB’s. That stands for 17ing Illinois Basta***. It’s primarily people from Chicago that have absolutely no regard and respect for people and their property.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
find where they're entering and exiting and put out some bear traps..........

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
find where they're entering and exiting and put out some bear traps..........
Ha. My friend in Wisconsin found a place where trespassers cut his fence and were driving in and out on 4 wheelers. He bought a case of long roofing tacks and dumped them out on his side of the fence. The offenders tried to file charges against my friend for all the ruined tires but they didn’t get very far.

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
Make them think your crazy and they'll leave.

Find out where they're getting in and dig two graves. Put headmarkers that say poacher 1 and poacher 2. Or their names if you know who they are. Leave a few rolls of duct tape and sharp objects nearby.

Patrol your fenceline armed and naked, word will get out.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
Conceal a $25 Apple Air Tag in something cheap or non working that they would steal. Wait for the theft then track them to where they live. Burn down their trailer.

Edited to add. Youtube how to remove the speaker from the Air Tag

Reactions: DerHntr

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008
Highjack here. Guy I knew from the shipyard told this to me. His family owned a lot of rural land. They lived on and hunted on a portion, but an ancestor had leased out a portion that was hunted by the lease holders, family and friends. A lawyer was working some issue for my friend and family and came across the lease. Told him the lease was faulty and could be cancelled if they wanted to. So they did. Notified the past leaseholders and put up No Hunting and No Trespassing signs, which were ignored. Signs were torn down, locked gates were smashed. Put up one very sturdy gate made out of big pipes. It was smashed and "Fxxx You" was burned into a pipe with torch. Unfortunately for the smashers, one of them dropped his checkbook in the mud. Friend strapped on his .45 and took the checkbook to the local general store where the bad bunch hid out. Threw the checkbook on the table and told them he was going to hide out and shoot the first trespasser he saw. At the time of this telling the problem had gone away.

Reactions: Eleven Bravo

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Season 2 Wtf GIF by Parks and Recreation

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
I had the same problem on my property. We put locks on gates and 'NO TRESSPASSING' signs and cameras. Couldn't get any good pics of the perpetrators and they were on ATVs so no vehicle or license plate pics. Fortunately for us the Sheriffs' brother owned the land adjacent to us and he (sheriff) just happened to be hunting and they rode up on him. Boy were they surprised.

Aug 15, 2011
Be careful. Guys like that tend to burn down any property on the land when the landowner forces them to leave.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I thought we were about to have a shootout which would not have ended well for me. A bolt action rifle vs 5 shotguns.
If not already get a AR15, in case a similar situation happens again. A scary situation no mater what. I'm not suggesting a shoot out, but your adversaries knowing you can get off 30 rounds in a few seconds may help your bluff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darryl Steight

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
In the more rural, less populated Delta counties (where the best deer hunting is) LE is likely going to be of little help.

bannerdawg

Aug 15, 2013
🙄

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Sounds harsh, but I’m here. Talked to a Deputy about my issue, he turned his camera off and said don’t leave witnesses, less paperwork.

I have zero blood lust, and don’t want to shoot anyone, ever. But when LEO are just as frustrated they can’t help decent folk with these godless bastards, confronting them with words doesn’t work.

These mf’s think they can do whatever they want. They’re wrong.

Reactions: DerHntr

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
I let the game warden hunt on me …had some turkey poachers this spring caught then they ran took their decoys but let a LEO hunt on you best way

coach66

Mar 5, 2009
If not already get a AR15, in case a similar situation happens again. A scary situation no mater what. I'm not suggesting a shoot out, but your adversaries knowing you can get off 30 rounds in a few seconds may help your bluff.
The poachers were both carrying AR15’s.

coach66

Mar 5, 2009
I let the game warden hunt on me …had some turkey poachers this spring caught then they ran took their decoys but let a LEO hunt on you best way
We’ve done that for years, turns out the suspects snd the former game wardens families were friends.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
You can get civilian flash bang grenades. Take them into the woods, tie you some fishing line across their trail, and set it up where when they trip the line… it will set off the flash bangs.

it will run off whatever they are hoping to shoot for the rest of the day and also make them **** themselves at the same time.

no one hurt, no one injured, no one threatened.

HeCannotGo

Feb 23, 2011
Anyone else think this thread was gonna be about opposing coaches poaching our players?

Was ready for some righteous indignation about rouge boosters, tampering, outrageous NIL offers, etc. (unless it was our boosters, in which case it's perfectly fine because everyone does it).

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login