OT: Hugh’s Burner Phone(the pack’s weatherman)

BlameTheDogs

Oct 18, 2019
He doesn’t know I’m posting this, and I don’t know him personally- but can we get this man 158 more YouTube subscribers? Being able to live stream on YouTube would be awesome for him, and for all of us to watch. He would also be monetized on YouTube.

He provides a lot of insight for us during severe weather. I believe that I speak for everyone when I say that- it’s very much appreciated.

Here’s the link to his channel: https://youtube.com/c/NorthMississippiStormChasersandSpotters

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I sincerely appreciate it, but I need to mention one not insignificant detail. We are wanting to monetize the channel and for that we do need the 1,000 subscribers we've been working hard to get. However, you can live stream with 500 subscribers and we are actually using YouTube. The catch is that last year the team also went on Patreon yo try and build a monthly subscriber base to help offset the cost of chasing. One of the benefits we have of people joining Patreon at the $5/month level is exclusive access to live streams of our chasing...99.9999% of the time that's me and my chase partner who also a six packer. So since it's a perk of paid subscribers we can't offer it live to the general public. It does go on our YouTube channel a day or so after for everybody.

We decided to try Patreon because all of our activities are completely self funded. While we're affiliated with WTVA we are not network employees and receive no compensation from them. A typical chase day costs about $200 plus vacation time from work. An active severe season can get expensive as hell.

We've ticked some people off who we're used to our live streams being free when we changed and I truly hate that. But at the end of the day it takes cold hard cash to do this and if you're paycheck to paycheck you do what you got to do. But I will never ask for people to join our paid site because I know it's right for a lot of people, but subscribing to our YouTube site will be a huge benefit. And watch the videos as another requirement to monetize the site is views. I just finished making a 5 part series on severe weather and I think I have some pretty good info in them.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Don't underestimate what your coming on here and translating a lot of the "weather speak" into terms we can all understand does for this board. The chasing is great and all but just saying....

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
He doesn’t know I’m posting this, and I don’t know him personally- but can we get this man 158 more YouTube subscribers? Being able to live stream on YouTube would be awesome for him, and for all of us to watch. He would also be monetized on YouTube.

He provides a lot of insight for us during severe weather. I believe that I speak for everyone when I say that- it’s very much appreciated.

Here’s the link to his channel: https://youtube.com/c/NorthMississippiStormChasersandSpotters

Your post today got us 24 more subscriptions so thank you. We've got a dedicated group that really work hard to put out reliable information across our platforms and the fact we're nearing 70,000 followers on Facebook gives me hope we're doing something right. We're also now at 866 YouTube subscribers and 43 Patreon supporters. So while I'm extremely grateful for those numbers on YouTube and Patreon we obviously have a lot of room to grow compared to Facebook. So let me ask you, what is some information you'd like to know or content we could produce? I recently concluded a five part video series on various topics related to severe weather that's done pretty decent on YouTube view wise. But any topics, ideas, etc any of you have would be greatly appreciated. Inside the box, outside the box I don't care. I'm taking all ideas. If the team likes it and we can do it I'll make it happen.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Your post today got us 24 more subscriptions so thank you. We've got a dedicated group that really work hard to put out reliable information across our platforms and the fact we're nearing 70,000 followers on Facebook gives me hope we're doing something right. We're also now at 866 YouTube subscribers and 43 Patreon supporters. So while I'm extremely grateful for those numbers on YouTube and Patreon we obviously have a lot of room to grow compared to Facebook. So let me ask you, what is some information you'd like to know or content we could produce? I recently concluded a five part video series on various topics related to severe weather that's done pretty decent on YouTube view wise. But any topics, ideas, etc any of you have would be greatly appreciated. Inside the box, outside the box I don't care. I'm taking all ideas. If the team likes it and we can do it I'll make it happen.

How far south do you go to storm chase? I believe yesterday you said you were in Kosciusko but do you chase storms in Jackson or south of Jackson?

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Depending on timing and day of the week I'll go as far south as necessary. The furthest I've been chasing tornadoes was Hattiesburg. But if it's a week night and I have to be at work at 7:00am the next morning it's hard to justify having a 4 hour return trip when the chase doesn't end until 8:00-9:00 unless it's supposed to be a massive outbreak.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Depending on timing and day of the week I'll go as far south as necessary. The furthest I've been chasing tornadoes was Hattiesburg. But if it's a week night and I have to be at work at 7:00am the next morning it's hard to justify having a 4 hour return trip when the chase doesn't end until 8:00-9:00 unless it's supposed to be a massive outbreak.

But I've been as east as GA, north to KS, and west to AR and LA.

BlameTheDogs

Oct 18, 2019

To grow your channel- follow the trends. Start doing YouTube short clips daily during significant weather season, when there’s upcoming events(a week or so leading up to).

Then make videos a couple times a week leading up to the storms, just a short video of you discussing the events. Speak in the same terms you do here, people can relate and understand it.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020

I'm already subscribed. Come on Dawgs! Help a fellow Dawg out! He does a great job and would be even better if he gets there!

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Nope. Further south than that. We were down around Poplarville one day remember.

BlameTheDogs

Oct 18, 2019
One more tip- YouTube subscribers typically drive Patreon subscribers. Not the opposite. So build your YouTube and the Patreon will also grow.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
One more tip- YouTube subscribers typically drive Patreon subscribers. Not the opposite. So build your YouTube and the Patreon will also grow.

So what kind of videos would you like to see? We have already thought about doing weather briefings before severe events and actually have done a couple. I'll be able to do more now that I finally got fiber internet at my house. In the past I would make the video at home and then have to drive into town to upload it because I rarely got 1 mbps signal at the house. Now I'm rocking 500mbps so no need to make a journey to Kroger's parking lot to upload videos.

BlameTheDogs

Oct 18, 2019
I would personally like to see some brief videos leading up to severe weather events, spoken the same way you do here.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I would personally like to see some brief videos leading up to severe weather events, spoken the same way you do here.

That's on the agenda. The reason it wasn't done before is my internet was garbage at my house. And when I say garbage I'm talking under 1 mbps garbage. However, I got fiber this week and now I'm rocking 500mbps. So now I can record the video and not have to drive into town to upload it.

bully12

Sep 2, 2012

All in, all done!

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017

You may want to watch this video I made a few weeks ago first. It explains a lot of the severe parameters I look at before I make the posts here. Plus, it'll get our view hours up. Found out not only do we need 1,000 subscribers, but we need 4,000 view hours to monetize. I wasn't aware of that last part until two days ago.

https://youtu.be/LeWR9JAXu4E

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login