OT : Hyundai Palisade

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I went on a trip to Seoul last month. Every vehicle we rode in was a Kia or Hyundai. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice they were. It was eye-opening. The interior materials didn't seem as cheap as the materials in the "American Big 3". Not European quality, but somewhere in the middle. A client of mine just traded in their Explorer for a Telluride. They seem to think it's a big upgrade.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
We’ve been going down the new SUV rabbit hole for about a year. Wife has driven Mercedes for years and I honestly expected to end up back there. We looked at and test drove everything from Buick Encores and Ford Escapes to Mercedes and Lexus and most everything in between. We weren’t in a hurry and really took an objective approach. Top three ended up being the Mercedes GLA, the Honda CRV, and the Subaru Forester. Surprisingly she chose the Subaru and I’ll be honest, the more I drive it the more impressed that I am.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
My wife drives a 2020 - no major problems. I love it for long road trips.

My main complaint is the windshield can get chipped from practically anything, and will spread if you don't get fixed quick. Just got back from a 7 hour drive this week and had two chips to get fixed. I'm in an owners group on FB and you can find all the major complaints there - mostly windshields, some oil usage, and quality issues with paint or wheels. It's also been sort of blackflagged by insurance companies due to issues with certain models being targeted by car thieves, and there was a trailer wiring harness / fire issue. So some companies apparently won't cover them.

Tigr2ndbase

Jul 12, 2015
I got a Santa Fe a little over 2 years ago. It’s been great. Hyundai has great customer support and service. The Korean business model is all about the customer. I’ve been looking to move to the palisade for a few months now. I think I’m going to hold out until next year as they’re planning to release a hybrid palisade in 2024. I was about to pull the trigger on the grand Highlander hybrid but just heard about the hybrid palisade so going to wait. Only complaint I have is that a few law enforcement people have told me the key fob for Hyundai’s have been easy to hack so there’s a lot of theft with them. Hyundai is supposedly changing the design on them to make them more secure. Also I believe they’re making it where if the vehicle drives for more than a minute without the key fob in the car it will turn off.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
It's also been sort of blackflagged by insurance companies due to issues with certain models being targeted by car thieves
Since we have one I had to do a little deep dive into this....the exploit the car thieves have been using only applies to key-start models (Hyundai and Kia). If it's a button start, like ours, it doesn't work. I think they have some sort of software fix for it too, but I'm not 100% certain on it.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
For those who responded with "no major problems" and "Very little troubles" please expound. I'm from the Toyota world and expect zero problems, especially in a 2-3 year old vehicle. I'm certainly interested in the Palisade and Telluride, can't do the Subarus as the wife isn't a lesbian (I am, but I only drive full size trucks).

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
For those who responded with "no major problems" and "Very little troubles" please expound. I'm from the Toyota world and expect zero problems, especially in a 2-3 year old vehicle. I'm certainly interested in the Palisade and Telluride, can't do the Subarus as the wife isn't a lesbian (I am, but I only drive full size trucks).
I though the same thing. Very little troubles through 50,000 miles seems like too many.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I’m an absolute chicken when it comes to buying cars, and I’ll spend months researching things only to kick the van down the road for another year.

However, I can tell you that I spent a ton of time looking at trucks, SUVs, and EVs last year, and for the $, value, and reliability, I kept coming back to the Palisade. It’s one of the very few vehicles these days where I feel like you’re actually getting your money’s worth for $40-45k. If I remember right, you could even find a 1-2 year old one at the time for around $35k which seems like a steal in today’s market. I was really impressed

kired

Aug 22, 2008
- There was a wind noise / whistling issue around the driver side door that was repaired under recall. I never noticed it except when there was a strong crosswind. But if radio was on it was unnoticeable regardless.

- When they fixed that, the shop broke a clip that holds on the B-pillar cover. Didn't realize that till a few days later when it popped loose. Replaced for free.

- There was a sharp edge at corner of the front doors that could scratch your leg if you brushed it just right getting out. Got me a couple of times. Fixed by recall.

I will say I don't feel this one is as well built as a 2009 Santa Fe we previously owned. I don't remember a single problem with it thru 10 years & 150,000 miles. It did have a few recalls that were fixed but we never had problems from them.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
We have had one for over a year now and I really like it. I’m a big and tall guy and it’s very comfortable for me to drive. I was skeptical at first because from outside appearances it doesn’t look very spacious but it really is a nice ride. Has all the typical features you find in the nicer vehicles with big screens and Bluetooth etc. but what really sold me was the price. It’s a really affordable car with a lot of features for the price point. Hyundai has a very good warranty package too which is a plus.

We had an Armada before and it had a better ride but I hated the leg room and front seat setup and it drank gas plus we had several electronic problems that Nissan could never fix so I got out of it.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
I remember she had some issue with the drivers seat that was pretty random but they got it fixed. Can't think offhand of any mechanical issues.

The dumbest thing was we ran over something when it was pretty new and had to get a tire fixed on a Saturday morning at the dealership, which went fine. EXCEPT, a week or so later we had another tire that needed to be fixed, and we took it to our normal tire shop instead, and they couldn't find the key for the wheel lock. It was just missing from its little package. Gone. I quickly figured the dealer mechanics would have been the only people who might would have used it, so I took it back up there. Service department argued that they wouldn't have used the key from the vehicle, that they have their own, and I must have lost it and would have to buy a whole new set of locks to get a new key. I called bs, went and found my sales guy and when he came back to help, lo and behold they found a wheel lock key just sitting in the service bay where there shouldn't have been one. So they gave it back.

Anyway, vehicle is good, dealers are still dealers though and dealer service is best experienced when it's free, and even then they'll take twice as long as anybody else.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
The dumbest thing was we ran over something when it was pretty new and had to get a tire fixed on a Saturday morning at the dealership, which went fine. EXCEPT, a week or so later we had another tire that needed to be fixed, and we took it to our normal tire shop instead, and they couldn't find the key for the wheel lock. It was just missing from its little package. Gone. I quickly figured the dealer mechanics would have been the only people who might would have used it, so I took it back up there. Service department argued that they wouldn't have used the key from the vehicle, that they have their own, and I must have lost it and would have to buy a whole new set of locks to get a new key. I called bs, went and found my sales guy and when he came back to help, lo and behold they found a wheel lock key just sitting in the service bay where there shouldn't have been one. So they gave it back.
My Tundra has a locking lug nut on each tire (aftermarket). I have a key for them in the truck. The last time I took it to a tire shop in Flowood for an oil change/tire rotation, the shop couldn't figure out how to use the lug key. That's where we are at in society, a mechanic shop can't even do the simplest task.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
We’ve been going down the new SUV rabbit hole for about a year. Wife has driven Mercedes for years and I honestly expected to end up back there. We looked at and test drove everything from Buick Encores and Ford Escapes to Mercedes and Lexus and most everything in between. We weren’t in a hurry and really took an objective approach. Top three ended up being the Mercedes GLA, the Honda CRV, and the Subaru Forester. Surprisingly she chose the Subaru and I’ll be honest, the more I drive it the more impressed that I am.
Are y'all separating? Or is she letting you watch and you making peace with it?**

catvet

May 11, 2009
Looked at most of the three row SUVs and liked several, but all had something I didn't like. Honda Pilot gets terrible gas mileage. Some get 14 to 15 mpg. Subaru Ascent has reliability issues. Toyota Highlander had a non adult size 3rd row. Then Toyota released the Grand Highlander. Toyota quality, adult sized third row, AWD and 27 mph. I found what I wanted

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
In 2013 I bought a Sante Fe GLS. The bigger version so close to a Palisade at the time. I kept it 5 years and I had zero problems with it.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
We weren’t in a hurry and really took an objective approach. Top three ended up being the Mercedes GLA, the Honda CRV, and the Subaru Forester. Surprisingly she chose the Subaru and I’ll be honest, the more I drive it the more impressed that I am.
My purchase was one of those three models and much more hurried but it was pretty objective.

The Duff brothers got some of my money but I don’t think they noticed it.

I don’t think they’d notice dawgstudent’s big screen money either. **

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
We have a 2020 Sante Fe, awesome vehicle. Bought it "used" with 5000 miles on it couple years ago. It was a rental buy back during covid, so it hadn't been abused in that short time, and spent most of its time sitting on a lot. It has a 2.4l engine and 8sp transmission and gets really really good mph. It is extremely roomy, I guess I'm considered tall, and I had to have something i can get in and out of and I can without issue. Only issue we had was the satellite radio didn't work but they replaced the radio without any questions. We have 60K on it now and it still looks nice and runs well. Had to convince my wife to test drive it as she didn't want a "Hyundai", but after she drove it and really looked at it, she said she'd take it. We are giving it to our son and getting another vehicle in a few months. I asked my wife what she wanted and without hesitation she said another Sante Fe.

Mud84

Oct 14, 2012
I shopped them all. Subaru Ascent won for me because I used the 4wd weekly.

edited to add: Im sure you realized the Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade are the exact same thing, just a different appearance package.

Another vote for Subaru here. I bought a Crosstrek in 2022 and i LOVE it.

I will own a Subaru from now on til i die... I'm Sold.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Coincidental story from this weekend. My friend just bought his wife a Telluride last spring. It's a beautiful vehicle, but it's pavement only. Turns out most mid size "SUVs" while heavyish, are still built on a unibody (car) chassis. This technically makes them crossovers as an SUV is going to be on a body on frame chassis like a truck.The Palisade and Telluride are on a car chassis.

Last weekend they went out on some gravel roads and hit a nasty bump. It happens. He said it wasn't ridiculous, just something that might ordinarily knock they're old 4runner out of alignment or screw up a ball joint. This thing shoved the front passenger wheel all the way up through engine compartment. It looks like they hit an IED.

He's waiting to hear back from the dealership and insurance to see if it's going to be totalled. So if you keep it on smooth pavement I am sure it would be fine. But if you drive down washboard gravel roads from time to time or use it to go camping, I'd keep in mind it's really a car and not built for any type of off-road situations.

• Wow
Reactions: trob115 and patdog

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
My Tundra has a locking lug nut on each tire (aftermarket). I have a key for them in the truck. The last time I took it to a tire shop in Flowood for an oil change/tire rotation, the shop couldn't figure out how to use the lug key. That's where we are at in society, a mechanic shop can't even do the simplest task.
I took the wheel locks off the wife’s Jeep. Heard too many horror stories. The key for those special lugs can get worn, strip the lug, or break it, leaving you SOL. Many shops have to either use yours, or their own and they get worn. At that point, it’s saws and torches time, and replace the stud, or possibly the entire hub. 17 that. Just have your shop replace them with regular lugs on your next tire rotation and make life easier. If some jackal thieves are hard up for your minimally valuable factory wheels, they are likely starving and are carry an assortment of keys anyway.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Another vote for Subaru here. I bought a Crosstrek in 2022 and i LOVE it.

I will own a Subaru from now on til i die... I'm Sold.
I lived in a rural county most of my life with a lot of rough gravel roads. I started noticing back in the 90's that every rural mail carrier drove a Subaru (no they weren't all ghey) and absolutely ran the crap out of them. Tough vehicles.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I got a '22 Forester Wilderness Edition. I love it. 4x4 and gets about 24-25 mpg. I'm in the Blue Ridge Mountains and it eats the steep, gravel roads up. It can also easily turn around in narrow driveways. Bigger trucks can't do it.

My only complaint is the size. I wish it was about 10% bigger. It's a little cramped IMO. I looked at the Mazda Cx-50 Meridian Edition and it felt roomier, but not as rugged. It all depends on what you need. I don't do any muddin', but I'm constantly needed 4x4 on mountain roads. The Subaru walks through that really easily. And it maneuvers through tight switchbacks with ease.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I got a '22 Forester Wilderness Edition. I love it. 4x4 and gets about 24-25 mpg. I'm in the Blue Ridge Mountains and it eats the steep, gravel roads up. It can also easily turn around in narrow driveways. Bigger trucks can't do it.

My only complaint is the size. I wish it was about 10% bigger. It's a little cramped IMO. I looked at the Mazda Cx-50 Meridian Edition and it felt roomier, but not as rugged. It all depends on what you need. I don't do any muddin', but I'm constantly needed 4x4 on mountain roads. The Subaru walks through that really easily. And it maneuvers through tight switchbacks with ease.
My wife “ Florist/ decorator “ friends just loved that she bought a Subaru. He says that it’s a GMW, gay man’s wish. The thing that impressed me the most is when I open the hood and see a motor. Everything is right there and accessible,it’s like opening the hood on a 70’s chevy, not that I plan on working on it but I could if I wanted too. It’s just something about seeing a motor oriented north and south rather than sideways. Another thing that impressed me was that you can buy an extended warranty from Subaru beyond the standard 3/36. It’s not third party, it’s a Subaru warranty and it’s bonded to the VIN so that it works at any Subaru dealer and works regardless of changing ownership. It even warranties the windshield from cracks from rock strikes. This car will probably never see a gravel road much less off road but my wife loves and can tell the difference in driving an AWD vehicle. Last MB wasn’t AWD after the previous several being AWD and she never liked the way it drove.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006

Attachments

• IMG_4513.jpeg
    IMG_4513.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 14

Augustus McCrae

Aug 25, 2012
Coincidental story from this weekend. My friend just bought his wife a Telluride last spring. It's a beautiful vehicle, but it's pavement only. Turns out most mid size "SUVs" while heavyish, are still built on a unibody (car) chassis. This technically makes them crossovers as an SUV is going to be on a body on frame chassis like a truck.The Palisade and Telluride are on a car chassis.

Last weekend they went out on some gravel roads and hit a nasty bump. It happens. He said it wasn't ridiculous, just something that might ordinarily knock they're old 4runner out of alignment or screw up a ball joint. This thing shoved the front passenger wheel all the way up through engine compartment. It looks like they hit an IED.

He's waiting to hear back from the dealership and insurance to see if it's going to be totalled. So if you keep it on smooth pavement I am sure it would be fine. But if you drive down washboard gravel roads from time to time or use it to go camping, I'd keep in mind it's really a car and not built for any type of off-road situations.

Nonsense. On the commercial they scale mountains and deftly maneuver giant mud holes.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
We’ve been shopping the 3rd row SUV thing for a few months and just landed on a Pilot. Liked the V6 and bit of extra space to Palisade.

inventory is picking up and you can find some small discounts off msrp if you shop around.

Reactions: patdog

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I took the wheel locks off the wife’s Jeep. Heard too many horror stories. The key for those special lugs can get worn, strip the lug, or break it, leaving you SOL. Many shops have to either use yours, or their own and they get worn. At that point, it’s saws and torches time, and replace the stud, or possibly the entire hub. 17 that. Just have your shop replace them with regular lugs on your next tire rotation and make life easier. If some jackal thieves are hard up for your minimally valuable factory wheels, they are likely starving and are carry an assortment of keys anyway.
The key for mine was worn, you had to apply pressure while turning, an added degree of difficulty, but I'd think a tire shop could handle. I did the same, took all mine off, and replaced with regualr lug nuts.

Tigr2ndbase

Jul 12, 2015
Well OP, I pulled the trigger and picked up a ‘24 calligraphy palisade today. Wasn’t planning on buying one but they give me a deal I couldn’t pass up. Turns out one of my kids classmates works at the Hyundai place. He told me to come in and he’d hook me up. The massager was the deciding factor for me. I had back surgery 5 years ago and drive for a living being in sales. I was amazed at how good that was and how I felt after test driving.

Reactions: aTotal360

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
We've got a 2017 Santa Fe. It's burned oil from the get go and is now parked because the transmission is going out and I can't bring myself to sink over $5,000 in a car with a KBB value around $8,000-$9,000.

• Sad
Reactions: patdog

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Well OP, I pulled the trigger and picked up a ‘24 calligraphy palisade today. Wasn’t planning on buying one but they give me a deal I couldn’t pass up. Turns out one of my kids classmates works at the Hyundai place. He told me to come in and he’d hook me up. The massager was the deciding factor for me. I had back surgery 5 years ago and drive for a living being in sales. I was amazed at how good that was and how I felt after test driving.
Haven't bought one yet. I'm still trying to get over the shock of being offered 48 months interest free. I thought that had gone the way of the dinosaur. They are very nice vehicles.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login