OT: I’ve Wondered This For Quite Some Time Now

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
Why does Starkville not promote the Cotton District more? In a time where new urbanism community planning is the IT thing, we have a prime example of that neighboring MSU. I’ll try to find the twitter thread but there’s an architect who had people from all over the map interested in Starkville because of the pics he put up and him telling the story of Dan Camp planning and designing the District. Just seems like a huge missed opportunity by Starkville’s tourism folks.

ETA: Found it: https://twitter.com/stevemouzon/status/1548263865309220867?s=21&t=sm5BGHKWsg9AD1D5AiF8CQ

Last edited:

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
That's a good point where the city could promote something unique to Starkville.

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
They don’t run ads regarding this and they don’t promote it via their social channels, they’re not promoting it and if they are they need to put more dollars behind it.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
Why does Starkville not promote the Cotton District more? In a time where new urbanism community planning is the IT thing, we have a prime example of that neighboring MSU. I’ll try to find the twitter thread but there’s an architect who had people from all over the map interested in Starkville because of the pics he put up and him telling the story of Dan Camp planning and designing the District. Just seems like a huge missed opportunity by Starkville’s tourism folks.

ETA: Found it: https://twitter.com/stevemouzon/status/1548263865309220867?s=21&t=sm5BGHKWsg9AD1D5AiF8CQ

I would think that the businesses in the CD would have to form a co-op (sort of like a mini chamber of commerce) and do the promoting.

I doubt the city council or admin will do it because it is a slippery slope if they start spending city money to promote some businesses more than others.

Note: The CD co-op could possibly present a plan to city to join forces where the co-op contributes a percentage of total city marketing to get additional promotion.

I doubt the chamber will do it. Chamber funds come from all member businesses. Why would the non-CD members agree for a disproportionate amount to go towards the CD instead of their own?

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I don't understand how you think that the city is NOT promoting the CD?

As someone out of state for nearly 15 years, I have to agree with you Goat. What little bit I have seen about Starkville over the years is pretty much about downtown and the Cotton District. If you search for Starkville in Google images, it's 30-40% Cotton District images, similar Mississippi State images, and the balance is downtown.

When my Aggie coworkers first came through Starkville 8-10 years ago, they were a little disappointed that the Cotton District was so small. They thought the whole town was like that I guess.

I think Archer's bigger issue is the city probably doesn't market itself well. It's pretty low impact to spend marketing dollars in-state or think anyone is going to see something on social media out of state that doesn't go viral. My wife just sent me this image last week. She saw it in an in-flight Delta magazine on a flight from O'Hare to Glacier International.

View attachment 24771

That's how you market yourself. Though, she was disappointed when I told her "The W" wasn't a swank hotel we could stay in next time we come to a game.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I would think that the businesses in the CD would have to form a co-op (sort of like a mini chamber of commerce) and do the promoting.

I doubt the city council or admin will do it because it is a slippery slope if they start spending city money to promote some businesses more than others.

Note: The CD co-op could possibly present a plan to city to join forces where the co-op contributes a percentage of total city marketing to get additional promotion.

I doubt the chamber will do it. Chamber funds come from all member businesses. Why would the non-CD members agree for a disproportionate amount to go towards the CD instead of their own?
Like this? https://www.starkville.org/

It's like some of you are living under a rock.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Volunteers painted a couple ugly murals on the streets at intersections in The District on Friday, does that count?? I can say they were much better than the Shirley's** mural but I just don't understand those on the streets. They never look as good as the first minute they remove the barricades from around them, from that moment on they have dirt, oil, gas, puke, hydraulic fluid, garbage truck liquids, etc etc etc added to them daily and after a few months look like hell but you're stuck with them for a few years after that when they finally fade away, hopefully

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
^^^ This. The "City" does not have authority to spend tax dollars to promote **** (except very narrowly when "advertising municipal resources"). Promotion has to be done through an affiliate entity (chamber of commerce/economic development district, etc.).

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login