OT: I Bonds Update

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
About a year ago I posted a thread about the I Bond rate being over 9% for the May-Octobber window. The last 6 months have only yielded 6.48% on I Bonds and the projected rate for May-October of 2023 is down to 3.26%. I figure at 3.26% I have other options for these funds.

I purchased mine at the end of April last year and have just redeemed them for a return of a little over 6% percent after the early selling penalty in just under 12 months. Not a windfall, but better than leaving it in cash and without looking, I would guess it outperformed nearly every other investment I have in that same time span.

The penalty for selling before 5 years is the prior 3 months interest so I am giving up 3 months at the 6.48% rate, so theoretically I could wait until July and have a $162 more dollars per bond, but I have other plans for the money before then.

Anyhow, just a PSA. Anyone that bought those last April, you aren't going to get nearly as much out of them going forward.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
About a year ago I posted a thread about the I Bond rate being over 9% for the May-Octobber window. The last 6 months have only yielded 6.48% on I Bonds and the projected rate for May-October of 2023 is down to 3.26%. I figure at 3.26% I have other options for these funds.

I purchased mine at the end of April last year and have just redeemed them for a return of a little over 6% percent after the early selling penalty in just under 12 months. Not a windfall, but better than leaving it in cash and without looking, I would guess it outperformed nearly every other investment I have in that same time span.

The penalty for selling before 5 years is the prior 3 months interest so I am giving up 3 months at the 6.48% rate, so theoretically I could wait until July and have a $162 more dollars per bond, but I have other plans for the money before then.

Anyhow, just a PSA. Anyone that bought those last April, you aren't going to get nearly as much out of them going forward.
I feel like I bonds will surprise us!!! I’m holding!!!

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I feel like I bonds will surprise us!!! I’m holding!!!
Kissinger has always been known for his diamond hands...

FYI coming your way this weekend. Staying in CDA Friday and Saturday night, taking the kids to to the convention center in Spokane Saturday to Jurassic Quest. Any recs on lunch and dinner spots are appreciated.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Kissinger has always been known for his diamond hands...

FYI coming your way this weekend. Staying in CDA Friday and Saturday night, taking the kids to to the convention center in Spokane Saturday to Jurassic Quest. Any recs on lunch and dinner spots are appreciated.
Are you doing Friday and Saturday dinner in CDA and lunch in Spokane on Saturday?

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Would try to do one dinner at Wolf Lodge in CDA if they still have spots for Friday or Saturday. It’s cool. I haven’t found anything in CDA that’s knocked it out of the park for dinner otherwise, but we’ve been to Terraza a couple times. Also plenty of stuff up and down the Main Street there, and any of those would be fine.

For Spokane, there’s a ton of stuff downtown for lunch. Dry Fly distillery is downtown as well. Cochinito is a decent taco place near there. Brickwest Brewery is pretty good. Several other breweries as well. Historic Davenport hotel is cool to see and kids might like to see Davenport Tower with the animal theme. Also some other stuff closer to the convention center, but it’s all walkable.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Would try to do one dinner at Wolf Lodge in CDA if they still have spots for Friday or Saturday. It’s cool. I haven’t found anything in CDA that’s knocked it out of the park for dinner otherwise, but we’ve been to Terraza a couple times. Also plenty of stuff up and down the Main Street there, and any of those would be fine.

For Spokane, there’s a ton of stuff downtown for lunch. Dry Fly distillery is downtown as well. Cochinito is a decent taco place near there. Brickwest Brewery is pretty good. Several other breweries as well. Historic Davenport hotel is cool to see and kids might like to see Davenport Tower with the animal theme. Also some other stuff closer to the convention center, but it’s all walkable.
Also, Tubb’s Hill is a nice quick hike in downtown CDA, and I do it just about every time I go. Few other hikes right around there too. North side was icy/muddy 3 weeks ago when I did it last, but probably better now. Rest of it was dry/fine. Does look like rain this weekend though

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Also, Tubb’s Hill is a nice quick hike in downtown CDA, and I do it just about every time I go. Few other hikes right around there too. North side was icy/muddy 3 weeks ago when I did it last, but probably better now. Rest of it was dry/fine. Does look like rain this weekend though
Awesome info. I am definitely going to Dry Fly. Will check out the other places tomorrow. We'll bring the hiking shoes just in case.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Awesome info. I am definitely going to Dry Fly. Will check out the other places tomorrow. We'll bring the hiking shoes just in case.
Sounds good. Let me know if you do and I’ll come have a whiskey with you and the kids. I have to pick up some bottles of wine at Terra Blanca across the street anyway

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
Beat me. I use to work for a company based out of Rochester, New York.

Bought 100k shares at 25 cents. Went up to $1 one week but my dumbass self didn’t sell any to get my original money back. That was in 2007ish…

Since then I actually forgot about it… because it got down below 2 cents….

Just happen to read several months ago an article that mentioned the company.

I checked the stock and it had hot $31 17 dollars and I never knew. Now they did a reverse stick split and it’s at $1 one day and maybe $2.

To me… typical Mississippi State luck…. And I am still holding 1680595665156.png1680595665156.pngwe

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I also bought in at 9%, albeit later in the year. Is moving the cash out a pretty easy process?

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I am all in on Dogecoin. I expect it to moon once papa Elon makes it the official currency on Mars.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I also bought in at 9%, albeit later in the year. Is moving the cash out a pretty easy process?
It was easy, but I don't think you can move it until 12 calendar months like a CD. So if you bought August 31st, you can redeem August 1st, but not until August.

As for that transfer I just logged in abd clicked a few buttons and it said it would send it all back to the same account it came from within 48hrs.

Reactions: dorndawg

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

I'm holding some treasuries at 6.5%, but the majority of my cash is parked in FDRXX, currently ~4.5% yield. Disclaimer: This is not a recommendation.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It was easy, but I don't think you can move it until 12 calendar months like a CD. So if you bought August 31st, you can redeem August 1st, but not until August.

As for that transfer I just logged in abd clicked a few buttons and it said it would send it all back to the same account it came from within 48hrs.
I bought mine late April of 2022 and it doesn't give me the option to redeem. So I am guessing they are making me wait until a full 365 days have passed? Or else there is something glitchy with my account.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I bought mine late April of 2022 and it doesn't give me the option to redeem. So I am guessing they are making me wait until a full 365 days have passed? Or else there is something glitchy with my account.
No idea. I just double checked I bought them in my name and my wife's on 4/26/22 and the monies came out of my account on 4/27/22. The issue date on both redemptions says 4/1/22 so I assumed they always just backdated it to the 1st of every month. It looks like the 29th of April was a Friday so maybe if you bought on the Friday 29th it didn't process until the following Monday and gave you a 5/1/22 issue date.

Screen Shot 2023-04-04 at 8.52.38 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-04-04 at 8.55.03 AM.png

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login