OT: I Love Whiskey, But...

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I have had one hell of a time getting into Islay/peated scotch. I love smokey whiskies.. Balcones Brimstone and Colkegan are American single malts chock full of smoke and I have several bottles of each. Love em. But peated stuff has always been real hit or miss. Enjoy Bunnahabhain, but despise Ardbeg. I finally figured out why the other night.

Over at my buddy's house and he had just picked up a bottle of Lagavulin 11 year Offerman Edition "Charred Oak." Last year's edition was highly rated by all the experts so I was excited to try and... I nearly puked. But I finally know why.

They say taste and smells bring back memories better than any other sense and upon my first sip (not the smell) of this particular scotch, I was immediately taken back to college when I accidentally took a swig of my roommate's Copenhagen spit bottle while we were playing Bond on N64. It finally all made sense.

Not knocking the bottle, my friend says it's amazing. It's definitely a me thing. Just thought I'd shared why I have had such a hard time with peated scotch. I always thought it tasted like medicine, but nope, it's pure Copenhagen. Guess I'll just have to live with Speyside and Highlands if I ever move to Scotland.

Anyone else have a whiskey that others love and you cannot get close to enjoying it?

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I respect people who drink their favorite beer, whiskey, bourbon and scotch. I never could drink enough of that stuff to catch a buzz due to the glycemic levels so I just drink vodka, gin & red wine. Vodka drinkers always measure good vodka by how much they CAN'T taste it yet the brown water drinkers really love to taste and discuss their favorite stuff.

Oct 17, 2022
I respect people who drink their favorite beer, whiskey, bourbon and scotch. I never could drink enough of that stuff to catch a buzz due to the glycemic levels so I just drink vodka, gin & red wine. Vodka drinkers always measure good vodka by how much they CAN'T taste it yet the brown water drinkers really love to taste and discuss their favorite stuff.
Do you ever get a hangover ?

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
I have had one hell of a time getting into Islay/peated scotch. I love smokey whiskies.. Balcones Brimstone and Colkegan are American single malts chock full of smoke and I have several bottles of each. Love em. But peated stuff has always been real hit or miss. Enjoy Bunnahabhain, but despise Ardbeg. I finally figured out why the other night.

Over at my buddy's house and he had just picked up a bottle of Lagavulin 11 year Offerman Edition "Charred Oak." Last year's edition was highly rated by all the experts so I was excited to try and... I nearly puked. But I finally know why.

They say taste and smells bring back memories better than any other sense and upon my first sip (not the smell) of this particular scotch, I was immediately taken back to college when I accidentally took a swig of my roommate's Copenhagen spit bottle while we were playing Bond on N64. It finally all made sense.

Not knocking the bottle, my friend says it's amazing. It's definitely a me thing. Just thought I'd shared why I have had such a hard time with peated scotch. I always thought it tasted like medicine, but nope, it's pure Copenhagen. Guess I'll just have to live with Speyside and Highlands if I ever move to Scotland.

Anyone else have a whiskey that others love and you cannot get close to enjoying it?
That's called one trial learning - we're biologically prepared to develop a powerful aversion to things that make us sick, or we think made us sick, so that we don't eat that mushroom one more time and keel over dead. Sucks yours is to good Scotch and not Jose Cuervo like most people who were freshman at one time or another. Surprised you can still drink the American smoked whiskeys, would have thought you'd generalize to those as well. BTW I'm stealing your story when I teach classical conditioning to my psych class next month. If you want to do an experiment to confirm your hypothesis, go buy a can of Cope and take a big ole dip and see what happens next.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Do you ever get a hangover ?
I do not. I keep sugar out of the mix by just pouring it over rocks with an olive and a tiny splash of olive juice. I used to do martinis but when I'm at a restaurant I just tell 'em to bring it to me on the rocks with an olive and a 1/2 shot of olive juice so I can dip my straw and put in the amount of olive juice I want. I grew up in the Mississippi Delta where all anybody drank was either Jack Daniels or Budweiser and I could never as a youngster drink enough of that stuff to catch a buzz like everybody else. So I didn't develop an "issue" with daily drinking until I was introduced to the Vodka Martini. I had some hangovers in my teenage years drinking draft beer or jack and coke but I can't remember the last time I've even got up with a headache.

Oct 17, 2022
I do not. I keep sugar out of the mix by just pouring it over rocks with an olive and a tiny splash of olive juice. I used to do martinis but when I'm at a restaurant I just tell 'em to bring it to me on the rocks with an olive and a 1/2 shot of olive juice so I can dip my straw and put in the amount of olive juice I want. I grew up in the Mississippi Delta where all anybody drank was either Jack Daniels or Budweiser and I could never as a youngster drink enough of that stuff to catch a buzz like everybody else. So I didn't develop an "issue" with daily drinking until I was introduced to the Vodka Martini. I had some hangovers in my teenage years drinking draft beer or jack and coke but I can't remember the last time I've even got up with a headache.
Vodka and gin don’t have tannins that cause as much of a hangover. I mainly drink mich ultra gold or vodka Or red wine. Whiskey sets off gastritis if I drink it too much I do a shot once in a Blue moon. ill have to try the,olive juice. As I get older i get worse hangovers.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Give me Bruichladdich a run. I like it better. Don't go too old Scotch gets vert woodsy tasting. It sucks up that barrel. 12 year old or so is about the limit for me.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
That's called one trial learning - we're biologically prepared to develop a powerful aversion to things that make us sick, or we think made us sick, so that we don't eat that mushroom one more time and keel over dead. Sucks yours is to good Scotch and not Jose Cuervo like most people who were freshman at one time or another. Surprised you can still drink the American smoked whiskeys, would have thought you'd generalize to those as well. BTW I'm stealing your story when I teach classical conditioning to my psych class next month. If you want to do an experiment to confirm your hypothesis, go buy a can of Cope and take a big ole dip and see what happens next.
Thanks for the education on the matter. Are some people more predisposed to one trial learning? In all seriousness here are 4 more examples of what I always called "associative behavior" that jump out to me in my life:

Black olives. Cannot eat them. Mom had a bowl of them in the fridge when I was 5-6. Grabbed a handful thinking they were grapes and they obviously were not.

Libraries. As a kid, I read a lot of books in the bathroom since I usually shared a room with my peckerhead brother. Usually sat on the pot and took a long dump. To this day if I walk into a bookstore or a library, I have less than 3 minutes to find a pooper. Even if i just took a monster dump at the house 10 minutes beforehand.

Patchouli. Rode the bus with a hot hippie girl in the 8th grade when I was in 7th. She wore patchouli and I had a constant boner on that 45 minute bus ride both ways. Of course I had a constant boner in class as well, but to this day I get a tingle in my dingle when I smell a chick wearing patchouli. Happened at the grocery store this very afternoon, but the tingle faded when I saw my favorite bread was $5.49 for a loaf.

Smoking. My parents smoked when I was a kid. I 17ing hated it. I have done a lot of stupid drugs in my life, but have never once taken a drag off of a cigarette. The only one I have ever had in my mouth was put in my beer it a party. If i see a woman smoking I cannot be attracted to her. I mean you could take mid 90's Salma Hayek and have her dancing butt naked in a giant skillet and I couldn't catch wood if I saw her smoking a cigarette right beforehand.

Also to answer your question, can't be in a confined space with an open can of Copenhagen much less get a pinch, but I chewed Red Man for years after the incident.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Stick with Highlands single malts.

The peat region devil juice is a charcoal vacuum that wicks the saliva from your soul and feasts on any remaining feeble life force from the liver

ETA- To answer your question, I have 4 I hate, off the cuff.

Woodford Reserve
Willet
Breckenridge Cask At Sea
Any of that cinnamon whiskey trash

Fireball is tasty, bit will have me shite-in through a screen door for 24 hrs

Last edited:

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Vodka and gin don’t have tannins that cause as much of a hangover. I mainly drink mich ultra gold or vodka Or red wine. Whiskey sets off gastritis if I drink it too much I do a shot once in a Blue moon. ill have to try the,olive juice. As I get older i get worse hangovers.
Remember that we all have our own unique human bar code so trial and error is sometimes needed and we do indeed change as we get older as I had to quit drinking on a daily basis and take a day or two off between nights I partake. Drink lots of water when drinking; all alcohol dehydrates the body. I've always preferred the Earnest Hemmingway philosophy of not drinking after dinner. I like to catch a buzz then chow down and go to bed. Combining alcohol with no food or water is a recipe for a hangover IMO.. Also do NOT under ANY circumstances buy Taaka Vodka. For a few extra pennies, you can have McCormick. I've done taste tests and IMO, for the money, there is no better vodka value than Burnett's. I will admit that SKY is a slight upgrade from Burnett's but for the price, my go to is Burnett's. Absolute is good but WAY over priced.

Oct 17, 2022
Remember that we all have our own unique human bar code so trial and error is sometimes needed and we do indeed change as we get older as I had to quit drinking on a daily basis and take a day or two off between nights I partake. Drink lots of water when drinking; all alcohol dehydrates the body. I've always preferred the Earnest Hemmingway philosophy of not drinking after dinner. I like to catch a buzz then chow down and go to bed. Combining alcohol with no food or water is a recipe for a hangover IMO.. Also do NOT under ANY circumstances buy Taaka Vodka. For a few extra pennies, you can have McCormick. I've done taste tests and IMO, for the money, there is no better vodka value than Burnett's. I will admit that SKY is a slight upgrade from Burnett's but for the price, my go to is Burnett's. Absolute is good but WAY over priced.
I think the deal is everybody metabolizes ethanol differently, some are gifted at it some aren’t. i am Probably average or a little below average.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
While we are OT'ing on Drankin', why not recognize the State of Texas when it comes to Great Guitar Players? Not ALL came from the Mississippi Delta, Lighting Hopkins and SRV just to name a few. Here's one of the ALL TIME GREATS. Albert Collins.

Reactions: Crazy Cotton

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I think the deal is everybody metabolizes ethanol differently, some are gifted at it some aren’t. i am Probably average or a little below average.
It's not really an efficiency thing, like a bell curve. Different people metabolize ethanol in entirely different ways, with different end products. Some (primarily of Native American ancestry) metabolize it to an opioid like end product. Others metabolize it to chemicals that are basically poison, that provide ill effects and no pleasant effects. And a whole lot of in-between and other pathways.

Reactions: Croomonshrooms

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
have you tried any of the japanese whiskeys?
Love em. I have open bottles of Nikka From the Barrel and Coffee Grain right now. Will get into a bottle of Kaiyo 7 Year "The Single" by Christmas I would guess. But much like scotch, I'm staying away from the peat.

Oct 17, 2022
It's not really an efficiency thing, like a bell curve. Different people metabolize ethanol in entirely different ways, with different end products. Some (primarily of Native American ancestry) metabolize it to an opioid like end product. Others metabolize it to chemicals that are basically poison, that provide ill effects and no pleasant effects. And a whole lot of in-between and other pathways.
Have a little Cherokee ancestry and some relatives who werent mellow with the fire water

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login