OT - I'd have some questions for my friend

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
I have had conversations with fishing guides that have encountered bears. Everyone one of them said they carry bear spray rather than a firearm. Those situations happen fast and the time to react is a split second. A lot can go wrong in that split second.

Even though I am an avid hunter and competition shotgun shooter I question my abilities to pull off a kill shot on a bear charging full steam.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I have had conversations with fishing guides that have encountered bears. Everyone one of them said they carry bear spray rather than a firearm. Those situations happen fast and the time to react is a split second. A lot can go wrong in that split second.

Even though I am an avid hunter and competition shotgun shooter I question my abilities to pull off a kill shot on a bear charging full steam.
I’ve played RDR2, it ain’t easy. Cougars are even worse in RDR.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
If you're out in nature with a friend and encounter a mama bear, you don't have to be faster than the bear; you just have to be faster than your friend.

Reactions: Dawgg

Muttley

Aug 22, 2012
Note to self: when encountering a bear shoot friend in the leg, not the shoulder.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I have spent a significant amount of time in grizzly country. Mostly on hunting trips. We carry bear spray and a 300 Win Mag. Bear spray is highly recommended by all of the experts as your first line of defense however I feel much better with my rifle in hand and the bear spray on my belt. We have seen a lot of bears but never had a serious problem and I really think your risk is pretty low until you kill something. The bears treat a rifle shot as a dinner bell knowing that there will most likely be a gut pile and meat to steal and they come to the location of the shooting. Once you shoot it is time to keep your head on a swivel. Like I said, we never really had a serious problem, but I know people who have had dangerous encounters and I once hunted with a guide that had been mauled when he was a teenager. A guide was killed on Terrace Mountain in the Wyoming Teton Wilderness in 2018. They were attacked while retrieving an elk the hunter had killed. This one made me stop and think as I had killed an elk on that same mountain a number of years ago. Just luck of the draw I guess. We have had some adventures in those mountains that you just would never forget. I love that Country!

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login