OT: (if I’m supposed to use OT) brown pine trees

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
In central Mississippi there a lot of pine trees. I assume that they are brown from the drought and that they dead but can someone confirm that they dead or not.

If they are dead like I assume there are a lot of dead trees around Madison County.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
A lot of evergreen plants here were killed by the cold weather in December 2022. My neighbor had two white pines that had gotten really tall - one survived and is still there, the other died and was cut down.

Looks like the chilly weather is going to be repeated again next week.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
the dead trees you see are from a severe pine beetle infestation. pine beetles have devastated the pine crop in central mississippi, and it will spread. brought on by several factors, including the drought, which creates superhighways for them to travel under the bark.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
the dead trees you see are from a severe pine beetle infestation. pine beetles have devastated the pine crop in central mississippi, and it will spread. brought on by several factors, including the drought, which creates superhighways for them to travel under the bark.
My folks in Madison had 12 on their lot they just had to take down bc of the pine beetles. That area got hit pretty bad it seems...

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I took the Trace a few weeks ago from Eupora to Jackson and once I crossed 16 the closer I got to The Rez the more dead pines I saw, I wondered if it was drought or beetles

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
I would be shocked if this is beetles. Just look along I55 from Ridgeland to Madison and on 463 east of the interstate. There are a **** ton of dead trees.

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
Been noticing pines in NE ms get a little browner each year. Can see year to year where it has extended down the trace from the Alabama state line.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
I would be shocked if this is beetles. Just look along I55 from Ridgeland to Madison and on 463 east of the interstate. There are a **** ton of dead trees.
i just had 83 acres clear cut because of beetles. it's the same thing we've been seeing all over. MSU extension service confirmed, as well as forester. Said that the drought made a perfect storm for the beetles to take over very quickly. There are about a dozen different varieties of pine beetles in MS

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
Please take this as an inquisition rather than a challenge. But why does that mean it’s not beetles? Again, asking from a position to learn and not to criticize.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Friend of mine said a forester told him a lot of trees would be falling the next couple of years from the drought.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Please take this as an inquisition rather than a challenge. But why does that mean it’s not beetles? Again, asking from a position to learn and not to criticize.
Because the beetles in question are pine beetles, not oak, hickory etc

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
Too many trees suddenly all over. it’s too wide spread and too fast to be beetles in my opinion

Reactions: uptowndawg

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
I bring it up because if the trees are dead as suspect the landscape in is going to change because it is thousands of mature trees and small trees just in area that I drive daily.

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
Pine beetles and drought is the 1-2 punch. 60+ trees have been taken down in my neighborhood which backs up to the trace. I’ve got 5 pines in my backyard which are coming down later this month at $1K a piece. Neighbor has 17+ trees he’s taken down and will probably have to take more. It is unfortunate.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

Marler

Apr 9, 2017
Ips beetles, sometimes known as “engraver beetles,” are bark beetles that develop under the bark and tunnel through the tree, damaging and killing pine and spruce trees. Two factors that contribute to ips beetle problems include prolonged drought stress and the creation of freshly cut wood (preferred breeding site).

Some of the dead are from ips. Not as bad as the pine beatle.

Someone better be coming up with a plan on what to do with all these dead trees around power lines and roads across Mississippi. If we get an ice storm in the next couple years it’s going to be bad.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
i just had 83 acres clear cut because of beetles. it's the same thing we've been seeing all over. MSU extension service confirmed, as well as forester. Said that the drought made a perfect storm for the beetles to take over very quickly. There are about a dozen different varieties of pine beetles in MS
Drought related makes sense. Tree removal services are about to be in huge demand!

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Not the OP but beetles have been doing their thing for a lot of years and I’ve never seen anything like this. It makes sense to me that drought gave the beetles a way to destroy faster than normal but I would struggle to reconcile it not being drought related.

Reactions: NTDawg

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Not the OP but beetles have been doing their thing for a lot of years and I’ve never seen anything like this. It makes sense to me that drought gave the beetles a way to destroy faster than normal but I would struggle to reconcile it not being drought related.
MSU forestry extension and two local foresters concurred beetles. MSU guy said he is seeing it all over the central and eastern central part of the state. Not so much in the southern part of the state. my trees had the tell tale yellow powder at the base of them, indicating beetles. we are seeing that all around here

TNT.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
In central Mississippi there a lot of pine trees. I assume that they are brown from the drought and that they dead but can someone confirm that they dead or not.

If they are dead like I assume there are a lot of dead trees around Madison County.
It is confirmed (For me) beetles per MSU forestry, and partially drought driven, but not much really. It was just as dry in Warren county and southern Yazoo yet I see zero signs of it there. However where I live in Madison, it's horrible. Also down I-55south as well. I placed my HOA on notice that i have 8 dead trees in the common area by my house and if they fall, it will be the HOA's responsibility if they hit my home (but only if they're provided prior written notice that the trees pose a hazard which i did via letter). They responded and said they're aware and they've already begun work to remove dead trees from common areas now but the HOA is basically out of money and will have to wait until additional assessments are received for 2024. Get ready for your HOA dues to increase.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
MSU forestry extension and two local foresters concurred beetles. MSU guy said he is seeing it all over the central and eastern central part of the state. Not so much in the southern part of the state. my trees had the tell tale yellow powder at the base of them, indicating beetles. we are seeing that all around here
It seems like tree felling is an industry ripe for disruption. If you could get one of those skidders that basically cuts and stacks and get a chipper, you could possibly have a business.

ETA: scratch that. a highly used skidder/feller is about $170k. Even with the prices that removing trees from private, non tree farm, property, the ROI would not be there.

Last edited:

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
It seems like tree felling is an industry ripe for disruption. If you could get one of those skidders that basically cuts and stacks and get a chipper, you could possibly have a business.
I know a guy who bought a stump grinder to clean up his personal property and started grinding on the weekends. Within two years he quit a very good job and grinds stumps full time. He spent half a day at mine and my neighbors place after the March tornado. He made more that half day than me and the neighbor earns in a week. Cash too.

sandwolf.sixpack

Feb 19, 2013
My in-laws just had to have 4 or 5 big pines cut out of their yard due to beetles.

bannerdawg

Aug 15, 2013
Sawyer beetles leave the sawdust(powder residue) at the base of the pines. The trees were already dead or dying when they moved in. Combination of drought, Ips and SPB has caused a lot of damage to timber this year. Drought weakened trees…

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login