OT: Investment Ideas?

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009
Since at this point the Pack is mostly old(ish) farts with lots of money, this is my go-to site for investment tips...

If you were to land $125K cash and you wanted to park it somewhere for 10 or so years, what would you do? Let's hypothetically say you would still be 10-15 years from retirement after the 10 years.

I know for a longer term investment for retirement strategy it's hard to beat a Roth, but what are yalls thoughts on good midterm investment strategies where you might want to tap into it earlier than retirement?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Since at this point the Pack is mostly old(ish) farts with lots of money, this is my go-to site for investment tips...

If you were to land $125K cash and you wanted to park it somewhere for 10 or so years, what would you do? Let's hypothetically say you would still be 10-15 years from retirement after the 10 years.

I know for a longer term investment for retirement strategy it's hard to beat a Roth, but what are yalls thoughts on good midterm investment strategies where you might want to tap into it earlier than retirement?
You can access contributions to a Roth at any time penalty and income tax free. Negative is you can’t contribute much.

coach66

Mar 5, 2009

Learn for to trade S&P futures or find somebody that’s good at it and who hedges. I have a couple of friends getting wealthy doing it. I dabble in it and I’ve been pleased with the returns.

Reactions: RiverCityDawg

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
From the description you've given, it's going to be hard to beat an S&P 500 ETF (or mutual fund, basically the same). https://investor.vanguard.com/investment-products/etfs/profile/voo The S&P has averaged over 12% over the last 10 years; at a more conservative 9% you'd be over $300k in 10 years (obviously before capital gains).

This isn't the most tax beneficial route, but also you have unfettered access and it's no work on your part. Roth is great if you're wanting to put up some of it every year for retirement.

If you're more risk-adverse, you could put some/all into a long-term CD. Even a 5 year is knocking the door on 5% these days.

You could also use it to get into real estate if you're inclined to fool with it; it's work. And also your money is about as non-liquid as it gets.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
From the description you've given, it's going to be hard to beat an S&P 500 ETF (or mutual fund, basically the same). https://investor.vanguard.com/investment-products/etfs/profile/voo The S&P has averaged over 12% over the last 10 years; at a more conservative 9% you'd be over $300k in 10 years (obviously before capital gains).

This isn't the most tax beneficial route, but also you have unfettered access and it's no work on your part. Roth is great if you're wanting to put up some of it every year for retirement.

If you're more risk-adverse, you could put some/all into a long-term CD. Even a 5 year is knocking the door on 5% these days.

You could also use it to get into real estate if you're inclined to fool with it; it's work. And also your money is about as non-liquid as it gets.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Stay golden, ponyboy.
I have no problem with people like Buckley being wrong about bitcoin. The sin is being too prideful to admit when you're wrong in the face of years of data proving that you've been wrong.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020

I have been poking around the REIT space a bit, just to get a feel for it. Big dividends can be made there. And I am looking for income. Depending on how things shake out at work on Monday, I could be retiring as early as next week.

Reactions: dorndawg

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
My suggestion is don’t put all of your eggs in one basket. If you have risk tolerance and other money so that this is literally your “gambling money” put a significant amount into the AI opportunities that are currently available. Invidia and others. Perhaps more into a tech fund and again depending on risk tolerance perhaps some amount in crypto. I am past retirement age so I am significantly more conservative these days but was more aggressive in my younger years, rode the ups and downs, and eventually retired very comfortably. We do currently own some Invidia but otherwise have an age appropriate balance of stocks, bonds, and cash. No need to throw the ball when you have a big lead in the fourth quarter if you get my drift. If you are unsure on the best course of action, work with a professional. There are plenty out there that may be almost as good as the Six Pack. On the other hand, go back and read the basketball thread from yesterday and decide for yourself if the pack posters are stable enough to give anyone advice on pretty much anything ha ha. Good luck with it.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I have been poking around the REIT space a bit, just to get a feel for it. Big dividends can be made there. And I am looking for income. Depending on how things shake out at work on Monday, I could be retiring as early as next week.
Beware of commercial real estate. It's about to have some serious headwinds with some people predicting that up to 30% of available commercial will be worthless, short of possible conversion to housing for properties where that is even possible. I've also seen some "experts" saying that the price per square foot to convert would require at least a 20% tax incentive/subsidy to make it practical. I know some banks with commercial exposure that are already making preparations in 2024 budgeting for expected losses.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

patdog

May 28, 2007
Beware of commercial real estate. It's about to have some serious headwinds with some people predicting that up to 30% of available commercial will be worthless, short of possible conversion to housing for properties where that is even possible. I've also seen some "experts" saying that the price per square foot to convert would require at least a 20% tax incentive/subsidy to make it practical. I know some banks with commercial exposure that are already making preparations in 2024 budgeting for expected losses.
Yeah, I'd run as far away from most commercial real estate as I could. Between work at home and shopping online, I think the commercial market is going to take some big hits. I think combination office + warehouse/storage space should do well though. I hope so, since I just invested in it recently.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
If you’re that far from retirement, buy stocks. Don’t be greedy. Make 2-3% sell it and look elsewhere. Don’t lose over 5-8% on a stock, sell it and make it up somewhere else. It you want something tangible that you can put your hands on, mini storage. I payed for an 80 unit set in four years, still regret selling them.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Yeah, I'd run as far away from most commercial real estate as I could. Between work at home and shopping online, I think the commercial market is going to take some big hits. I think combination office + warehouse/storage space should do well though. I hope so, since I just invested in it recently.
Trucking sucks rn. I see more trucking companies moving towards becoming "logistics" companies to have warehousing as part of their offering to offset down times in trucking.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
If you’re that far from retirement, buy stocks. Don’t be greedy. Make 2-3% sell it and look elsewhere. Don’t lose over 5-8% on a stock, sell it and make it up somewhere else. It you want something tangible that you can put your hands on, mini storage. I payed for an 80 unit set in four years, still regret selling them.
Worked for a company that owned a number of mini storage locations decades ago. At the time their price per square foot for a tin building on a slab with a roll up door was comparable to what commercial office space leased for. And people just stack crap in there and forget about it. Honestly, short of some transitional cases, most people would be better off selling their assets.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
Worked for a company that owned a number of mini storage locations decades ago. At the time their price per square foot for a tin building on a slab with a roll up door was comparable to what commercial office space leased for. And people just stack crap in there and forget about it. Honestly, short of some transitional cases, most people would be better off selling their assets.
That's what you call a captive tenant. It's a major pain (and sometimes expense) for them to leave. That's kind of what the company I invested in is doing. It's not mini storage, but it's not just real easy for a tenant to leave.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Yup. Even for the transitional cases, I suspect most people would be better off selling their stuff. I've used mini storage units twice. One time I absolutely should have just sold my stuff. The other time I probably should have sold half my stuff, but if I had sold all of it, it wouldn't have been terrible. I'd have spent more money and have newer stuff and would have had less hassle in the meantime.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Never listen to my investment advice.
Comedy Central Mm GIF by Workaholics

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I repoed dozens of units in the years that I owned them and there was never anything in them that was worth more than one or two months rent. I will tell you that the people who live on the golf course and wives drive new Suburbans are the ones I had to chase for my money. The businesses that rented and the people who honestly couldn’t afford the rent were regular as clockwork. When I’d clean one out and put crap out front on the road, if I put a sign on it Free, it would set there till I called city garbage to haul it off. If I put a For Sale sign on it, it would be stolen the first night.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
If that space isn't saturated, it seems like it has to be close. On the other hand, there's a huge cohort of folks (boomers) passing away, and their kids and grandkids probably don't want most of it but some large % are sentimental and won't throw it away.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
you should be in $dgrw instead

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
i would sink it into the asset that has performed the best on an annual basis for the last 14 years.

something else to consider, got a 50k bonus at eoy and gave it to saylor’s $mstr at about 650.

data only….not investment advice

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I honestly have no idea. Hardest thing in the world to do is trying to predict the market ie what humans will want next. I invested in weed a few years ago and that has tanked like a m17er. These days I just play it conservative with mutual funds and lean on my advisor.

Tech is one thing that isn’t going away, so there’s that.

Reactions: dorndawg

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Commercial real estate is a broad field. Sure office space is looking bad. But warehouses and light manufacturing is looking better than ever.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
In all seriousness , split the $125k four ways. Invest 1/4 in Nvidia, 1/4 in SMCI, 1/4 in Synopsis, and the final 1/4 in something somewhat safe like Amazon or Alphabet. Watch it, if one starts falling sell and get out of it, wait for it to bottom and buy back in. My loss threshold is 8%, that’s the most I’m losing on a single stock purchase.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login