OT: Ireland, Scotland trip recap

msugrad2003

Aug 27, 2013
SPS: As promised, I am recapping our (wife and I) trip to Ireland and Scotland. I initially submitted this OT thread back in February seeking input. We traveled across the pond back in Sept. We spent one week in Ireland and then a week in Scotland. To say the trip was incredible would be an understatement.

Ireland: we began by spending a 1.5 days in Dublin, went to the BrazenHead Pub (had an English guy ask me why our current president was an idiot), toured the Guiness Brewery St. James Gate (a pint of Guiness it lightyears better than what you can find stateside, although they just opened a brewery in Baltimore). We toured Trinity College and saw the Book of Kells, library, etc. Although we didn't attend, Garth Brooks was playing in Dublin that day. Rented a car, drove to Waterford and toured the city, spent time in Cork, and then onto Killarney; we stayed at an incredible resort, The Lake Hotel, with amazing views and on site restaurant. Then, drove the Ring of Kerry. Stayed a night in Limerick, hiked the Cliff of Moher, then spent a day in Sligo. Our final 1.5 days were spent in Belfast and toured Titanic Museum.
Ireland was full of BnB's, beautiful scenery, lots of history and Guiness.....lots of Guiness! My ancestors came from County Wicklow and I hope to go back to the Emerald Isle some day.

Scotland: upon leaving Belfast: we took a short flight into Glasgow, Scotland. I guess it was good we didn't have but a day here b/c this was the day of the Queen's funeral so many places were close. However, we toured the campus of the university (beautiful) and walked around the town. I was't that impressed. It was very dirty, even for a big city. Trash everywhere. But still a place to check a box. We then drove to Glen Coe, Scotland. This is probably the most beautiful place I have ever seen in my life. The air smells incredible, rolling hills and mountains confirm creation, and I left part of my soul there. The hiking is incredible and I will definitely be going back here. From Glen Coe, we drove to Isle of Skye. We hiked the Fairy Glen, spent the night in Portree, then hiked Old Man of Storr the next morning. Another stunning location. Google photos of this place if you have never seen it or, better yet, watch a youtube video. Again, this is a place I will definitely revisit. From here, we went to a small fishing village called Plockton. I ate some prawns called Langoustines that were twice size of my hand. We stayed the night in the Duncraig Castle. From there, we went to Inverness, toured the Culloden battle field and bought some nice bottles of Scotch to bring home. Next we drove to St. Andrews and got my photo taken on the bridge of 18, The Old Course. From there we spent the next two days in Edinburg. Walked around the town the first night and hired a Blue-badge tour guy the next day. Well worth the money!!! We toured the town and some of the really old part. There is so much history there and it was fulfilling to learn it from someone so educated. We toured Blackness and Sterling Castles. I also tried Haggis!

Yes, we did a lot of traveling in two weeks. I don't regret this because we saw so many places. It did suck staying in a different place almost every night, but I now know what is there. We will definitely make a return trip, but will spend more time in fewer places. If I had to choose, Scotland was my favorite. There is something about the Highlands.
I appreciate those of you who made recommendations for me when I first posted this thread 8 months ago. I encourage you to visit these countries. As Andy Dufresne said, "Get busy living or get busy dying."
Slàinte Mhath!

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
I went in 2005 and STILL it's on my list of places to go back to. Maybe in a year or 2...
We missed the Isle of Skye that time, so I plan on just staying in that area next time.
Yes, being at the Old Course was really a bright spot, even though I didn't play it.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Cool stuff! I have been to Dublin, Belfast, and County Cork in Ireland. I'd love to do the rest of what you did. Glen Coe is just STUNNING. So is Skye although we did different things. My experience with Skye was from a small boat sailing around the east and south sides of it, among other places in the Inner Hebrides (Mull, Canna, and Jura among them) and the coast of Argyle. Look up Loch Corrusk some time. I'd love to go back and do the land side of Skye. Our boat called at Plockton, super cool little town. I've also been to Iona, an absolutely mystical place steeped in early British/Irish Christian Lore. The only time I have ever been to Edinburgh other than on a day trip was once during the Festival. It was super crowded but a lot of fun. I agree about the Highlands, and I would add the Isles too. Scotland is a fantastic place. I hope to get to go back someday. We missed two trips there due to the pandemic.
PS: the only bad thing about haggis is you can't get a proper one in the US! I love the stuff!

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
SPS: As promised, I am recapping our (wife and I) trip to Ireland and Scotland. I initially submitted this OT thread back in February seeking input. We traveled across the pond back in Sept. We spent one week in Ireland and then a week in Scotland. To say the trip was incredible would be an understatement.

Ireland: we began by spending a 1.5 days in Dublin, went to the BrazenHead Pub (had an English guy ask me why our current president was an idiot), toured the Guiness Brewery St. James Gate (a pint of Guiness it lightyears better than what you can find stateside, although they just opened a brewery in Baltimore). We toured Trinity College and saw the Book of Kells, library, etc. Although we didn't attend, Garth Brooks was playing in Dublin that day. Rented a car, drove to Waterford and toured the city, spent time in Cork, and then onto Killarney; we stayed at an incredible resort, The Lake Hotel, with amazing views and on site restaurant. Then, drove the Ring of Kerry. Stayed a night in Limerick, hiked the Cliff of Moher, then spent a day in Sligo. Our final 1.5 days were spent in Belfast and toured Titanic Museum.
Ireland was full of BnB's, beautiful scenery, lots of history and Guiness.....lots of Guiness! My ancestors came from County Wicklow and I hope to go back to the Emerald Isle some day.

Scotland: upon leaving Belfast: we took a short flight into Glasgow, Scotland. I guess it was good we didn't have but a day here b/c this was the day of the Queen's funeral so many places were close. However, we toured the campus of the university (beautiful) and walked around the town. I was't that impressed. It was very dirty, even for a big city. Trash everywhere. But still a place to check a box. We then drove to Glen Coe, Scotland. This is probably the most beautiful place I have ever seen in my life. The air smells incredible, rolling hills and mountains confirm creation, and I left part of my soul there. The hiking is incredible and I will definitely be going back here. From Glen Coe, we drove to Isle of Skye. We hiked the Fairy Glen, spent the night in Portree, then hiked Old Man of Storr the next morning. Another stunning location. Google photos of this place if you have never seen it or, better yet, watch a youtube video. Again, this is a place I will definitely revisit. From here, we went to a small fishing village called Plockton. I ate some prawns called Langoustines that were twice size of my hand. We stayed the night in the Duncraig Castle. From there, we went to Inverness, toured the Culloden battle field and bought some nice bottles of Scotch to bring home. Next we drove to St. Andrews and got my photo taken on the bridge of 18, The Old Course. From there we spent the next two days in Edinburg. Walked around the town the first night and hired a Blue-badge tour guy the next day. Well worth the money!!! We toured the town and some of the really old part. There is so much history there and it was fulfilling to learn it from someone so educated. We toured Blackness and Sterling Castles. I also tried Haggis!

Yes, we did a lot of traveling in two weeks. I don't regret this because we saw so many places. It did suck staying in a different place almost every night, but I now know what is there. We will definitely make a return trip, but will spend more time in fewer places. If I had to choose, Scotland was my favorite. There is something about the Highlands.
I appreciate those of you who made recommendations for me when I first posted this thread 8 months ago. I encourage you to visit these countries. As Andy Dufresne said, "Get busy living or get busy dying."
Slàinte Mhath!
Thank you for posting! I've copied this to my travel itinerary folder for reference.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Glad to hear you had a great time!

What was Waterford like? That's one of the few major cities in Ireland I've not been in (well, Limerick too, I suppose, but I just drove through it and didn't stop).

The Scottish Highlands are on my list...

Reactions: msugrad2003

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I hooked up with my Mom and Sister back around '96 or so in Amsterdam after 1.5 days we took the train to Calais France where we boarded a big a$$ ship to Dover where we rented a car. I drove us all the way to Fishguard Wales in a Rover Sedan. Then we took a ferry to Rosslaire Ireland where we split up because they wanted to see the West Coast but I was hell bent on going to Longford County Ireland where my Dad's side of the family come from. So I rented a smaller stick shift and off I went. Thought my last name would be all over Ireland but it's concentrated in Longford. They freaked out I was living in Memphis (John Daly had just won the Open) and shared their name and they welcomed me with warmth. A guy with my last name owned the bar there and a small airfield. Drank, drove around saw sights, visited castles and all kinds of crazy schitt. One of the funniest things was when I went to a golf course and asked if I could rent some clubs. He was like "I beg your pardon"? "I want to rent some clubs sir" I said. This went on back and forth several times and finally he says "OH!! You want clubs for HIRE".. Wild being in place during summer when the sun comes up around 4 am or something then doesn't go back down till around 10 pm or something.

Dec 23, 2017
One of the finest posts I've ever read. Thank you for the info. Both Ireland and Scotland are great trips. I especially loved the quote, "BrazenHead Pub (had an English guy ask me why our current president was an idiot)," What a great statement from an Englishman. Again, really appreciate the post. Top-notch!

Reactions: msugrad2003

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
One of the finest posts I've ever read. Thank you for the info. Both Ireland and Scotland are great trips. I especially loved the quote, "BrazenHead Pub (had an English guy ask me why our current president was an idiot)," What a great statement from an Englishman. Again, really appreciate the post. Top-notch!
You really don't want to know what they think of most GOP Presidents.

• Haha
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Hey msugrad2003, did you drive on your own for the most part or were you with a tour group?

msugrad2003

Aug 27, 2013
Hey msugrad2003, did you drive on your own for the most part or were you with a tour group?
We drove on our own. One day while in Edinburgh, we had a walking tour guide. He also drive us to a few of the nearby castles. But we researched where we wanted to go and drove ourselves

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012

Slàinte Mhath!
Did you visit any distilleries? Great trip and thanks for posting. Made me want to go back and spend more time!

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I hooked up with my Mom and Sister back around '96 or so in Amsterdam after 1.5 days we took the train to Calais France where we boarded a big a$$ ship to Dover where we rented a car. I drove us all the way to Fishguard Wales in a Rover Sedan. Then we took a ferry to Rosslaire Ireland where we split up because they wanted to see the West Coast but I was hell bent on going to Longford County Ireland where my Dad's side of the family come from. So I rented a smaller stick shift and off I went. Thought my last name would be all over Ireland but it's concentrated in Longford. They freaked out I was living in Memphis (John Daly had just won the Open) and shared their name and they welcomed me with warmth. A guy with my last name owned the bar there and a small airfield. Drank, drove around saw sights, visited castles and all kinds of crazy schitt. One of the funniest things was when I went to a golf course and asked if I could rent some clubs. He was like "I beg your pardon"? "I want to rent some clubs sir" I said. This went on back and forth several times and finally he says "OH!! You want clubs for HIRE".. Wild being in place during summer when the sun comes up around 4 am or something then doesn't go back down till around 10 pm or something.

"I hooked up with my Mom and Sister back around '96 or so in Amsterdam"

You might want to rephrase this, Amsterdam just makes it more believable. Yeah my mind stays in the gutter

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
"I hooked up with my Mom and Sister back around '96 or so in Amsterdam"

You might want to rephrase this, Amsterdam just makes it more believable. Yeah my mind stays in the gutter
Yea. I thought about that after I posted; LOL. They were already there in Amsterdam and I took that new direct flight outta Memphis straight to Amsterdam. Don't remember why I didn't fly directly back outta Dublin but I ended up flying direct outta Amsterdam back to Memphis and no one checked my bags in the Memphis airport as I did smuggle in 3 Cubans. Coulda Got got away with a lot more and retired. LOL.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login